Badlands w/ John West demos

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Badlands w/ John West demos

Postby gillenfan » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:10 pm

Anybody willing to share?

All Access Member

Re: Badlands w/ John West demos

Postby Shadow » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:52 pm

Sorry, I don't have any demo recordings of Feinstein/Vocalist John West demo covering some of the Classic Badlands works: yet I have heard his lovely strong vocals on such albums as FEINSTEIN "3 Wishes" & the SUN RED SUN Trilogy music projects in which the latter is Ray Gillen's last vintage Classic works on/that and Badlands, I believe. The Sun Red Sun music project has some awesome works done on it especially the songs that Ray Gillen breath life into...'it's totally OUTRAGEOUS! I love that song as I do all the vintage Classic works/Badlands, Phenomanel, Sun Red Sun & Black Sabbath that the legendary Vocalist Ray Gillen so vividly displayed his talents/input on with energy & Soulful grace. Much respects.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:07 am

i don't think Ray wrote anything with Sabbath.
Rumour has it that he kinda lacked in songwriting .
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Postby jefnel1 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:54 am

Where'd you hear that rumor? Ray wrote most of the lyrics in Badlands.
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby gillenfan » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:00 am

I thought this was about the demos John West recorded w/ Badlands. Can someone help a brother out!?!
Most of the songs on the 3 Badlands albums give credit to Lee/Gillen and occassionally Lee/Gillen/Chaisson.
A book worth checking out is Black Sabbath:Never Say Die. It covers the non-Ozzy years in depth. It mentions Ray was out partying when he was supposed to work on lyrics. Also, He had a problem coming up w/ lyrics. Which, I have a Badlands interview where he admits that it took him some time to come up w/ stuff.

All Access Member

Postby Charvelised » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:48 am

Being a long Time Fan of John West! (from Early 90's Marc ferrari CDs And Cozy Powell CD)..I'm unaware of John recording any Demos with Badlands...I heard he Played a few shows with them But I have yet to hear any of the shows if they were Recorded!
Early Last year John released a CD which can only be bought from his website...he has done loads of great stuff...Another underated fantastic singer!

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:57 am

MetalHead wrote:i don't think Ray wrote anything with Sabbath.
Rumour has it that he kinda lacked in songwriting .

!!! WTF?
This one stumped me, too.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby gillenfan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:57 am

I went through and read a few of the old posts, One of them was about JW recording 3 demos as Badlands new replacement for RG.
A few people said they weren't very good. Being a BIG fan of Badlands, I want to hear them.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:42 pm

jefnel1 wrote:Where'd you hear that rumor? Ray wrote most of the lyrics in Badlands.

I read it on the www.black-sabbath.com and another reference was made to that effect in a biography written about Black Sabbath (but I can't remember the book title).

I believe that is why Iommi went with Tony Martin over Ray Gillen. Because with Geezer out, Dio gone, Iommi was needing some assistance in the lyrics department.

Now granted, what worked lyrically for Badlands isn't going to work with Sabbath and I don't know if that is the reference MetalHead was making; but this has been discussed before and is certainly not a new rumour.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:12 pm

mrmetal wrote:Now granted, what worked lyrically for Badlands isn't going to work with Sabbath and I don't know if that is the reference MetalHead was making; but this has been discussed before and is certainly not a new rumour.

nah, I was just talking about Sabbath.
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby gillenfan » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:35 am

Gillen and Eric Singer quit, Enter Tony Martin.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:24 pm

gillenfan wrote:Gillen and Eric Singer quit, Enter Tony Martin.

I am just relaying what I read in biography on the band that touched on the subject.

For years Ozzy said he quit Sabbath, but later he changed that to being fired.

I don't know, I wasn't there, and really, who cares at this point?

Return to All things Jake E Lee...