Guitar World #300 Tab Winners

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Ultimate Sinner

Guitar World #300 Tab Winners

Postby Jake67 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:11 am

http://guitarworld.com/300th_issue_tab_ ... lts_page_1

No Ultimate Sin for us Jake fans.

Only one song I voted for actually won which was Achilles Last Stand.

Other than that, I just hope the rest of the content for that issue is interesting because I can't say any of the other winners are songs I'm interested in learning how to play.

Killer of Giants

Re: Guitar World #300 Tab Winners

Postby mrmetal » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:12 am

Just do what I do mate.... forget the tabs and mags and use the cd and your ears.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby evilaudio » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:02 am

horsecock!
They didn't tab one song I gave a crap about. And who the hell needs to learn how to play Call of Cthulu? Like anyone's band is really going to do a 15 minute cover that has no vocals. Might as well learn Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner. At least Maiden is good and there's really never been an accurate tab of that.
And Cult of Personality? Wasn't this tabbed twice a year for the first half of the 1990's?
UGH!

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Jake67 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:30 am

They really had to go with songs that had already been tabbed. Think about it... this issue goes on sale in the first half of next month, yet voting just closed last week.

With the lead time needed to print the magazine, there would have been no time to tab a complete song, get it proofed, then off to the printer in time.

I had been hoping for the Dream Theater song from the new album since it was, well, new.

Oh how I long for the days of Guitar for the Practicing Musician from the 80s when each issue was packed full of good interviews and songs. Now it just seems like the guitar magazines are mainly shills for the equipment manufacturers.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby evilaudio » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:39 am

Jake67 wrote:They really had to go with songs that had already been tabbed. Think about it... this issue goes on sale in the first half of next month, yet voting just closed last week.

With the lead time needed to print the magazine, there would have been no time to tab a complete song, get it proofed, then off to the printer in time.

I had been hoping for the Dream Theater song from the new album since it was, well, new.

Oh how I long for the days of Guitar for the Practicing Musician from the 80s when each issue was packed full of good interviews and songs. Now it just seems like the guitar magazines are mainly shills for the equipment manufacturers.

I too read GFTPM. Taught me most of what I know. That was an awesome mag. Some songs I learned from GFTPM:
Obituary - Slowly We Rot
Napalm Death - Suffer the Children
Sepultura - Dead Embryonic Cells
Not hard songs now, but when you're 16 and haven't developed an ear yet....this is great help to learn songs you actually listen to ......instead of reading Ace of Spades tab four times a year.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:57 am

Jake67 wrote: Oh how I long for the days of Guitar for the Practicing Musician from the 80s when each issue was packed full of good interviews and songs. Now it just seems like the guitar magazines are mainly shills for the equipment manufacturers.

I noticed that too - how many freaking Krank and Digitech ads do I have to look at? Sadly, they seem like the coolest part of the magazine these days.

I subscribed earlier this year to see how the new mags were out of curosity. Well I am pissed, and the cheap bastards won't even send me the CD.

Funny, they always have the guitarists from Nile, Evergrey, Blind Guardian Rusty Cooley of Outworld, etc on the "Betcha Can't Play This..." feature, but they will never interview those guys, talk about their albums and songwriting, and I would lay down a months worth of my salary on this one - transcribe one of their songs.

I have been using my issues as bathroom reading material. They come in handy for those times when the toilet paper runs out and you don't want to walk all they way to the other side of the house for a fresh roll.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Jake67 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:25 pm

My first issue of GFTPM was the issue with Jake on the cover and the transcription of Rock and Roll Rebel. At that point, I didn't even know who Jake was. But I soaked in every issue as it was a whole new world to me at that time.

I just recently resubscribed to all the guitar mags after not buying them for years. Guitar Player still seems the same to me, covering a broad spectrum of guitarists. GuitarEdge is about as close to the old GFTPM as we're likely to get.

And Guitar World....(sigh). I remember an old one with Jake on the cover from the 80s. They usually had good interviews and a good transcription or two. But I'm not the type who plays in a band or is a gear-head, so the majority of each issue with all the equipment stuff bores me to tears. There must be an audience for it, though.

Used to get Guitar Techniques from the UK, too. But these days, they mostly transcribe songs I have no interest in, so it's a steep price to pay for maybe one good song or article.

Could be I'm just an old fart now. Maybe a few of us can meet at some park bench, talk about the good old days and how we used to have to walk five miles uphill in the snow (both ways!) to get the latest GFTPM. :)

All Access Member

Postby _will_ » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:00 pm

Jake67 wrote:My first issue of GFTPM was the issue with Jake on the cover and the transcription of Rock and Roll Rebel.

I have that one :D sadly the cover has come off from over use

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:33 pm

Jake67 wrote: Maybe a few of us can meet at some park bench, talk about the good old days and how we used to have to walk five miles uphill in the snow (both ways!) to get the latest GFTPM. :)

I thought that is what we were doing now! :lol:

We didn't have the YouTube when I was growing up sonny! We had to slow the records down to learn the solos!!!

What's a record?

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:27 pm

Jake67 wrote:Oh how I long for the days of Guitar for the Practicing Musician from the 80s when each issue was packed full of good interviews and songs. Now it just seems like the guitar magazines are mainly shills for the equipment manufacturers.

I don't even play guitar, but I've got boxes of GFPMs in my attic 8) Their interviews were always quality.

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:45 pm

Well, maybe in the near future it will be selected in one of Guitar World's special issues which includes the music tabs often: it would of been really cool to see how the "the Ultimate Sin" by Jake E. Lee/Ozzy Osbourne came together for it's a tremendous monster-masterpiece of a song with his tomahawk thunder groove/& I love the Classic video that goes along with it :!: Very, very "strong" song/the Ultimate Sin & my favorite on the Ozzy Osbourne band "Ultimate Sin" vintage album. :twisted:

I would like to see some of the Blueprints music tabs from a "A Fine Pink Mist" by Jake E. Lee his 1st Solo debut album that came out in 1996 which was highly acclaimed in music reviews & was finally re-issued in 2002/2003 I believed. It's another vintage Classic works by the BADLANDS Rebel Co-founder Jake E. Lee & it also would be cool to see some of Badlands works/music tabs in future issues of GUITAR WORLD for Badlands debut Classic album received much praise & was also highly acclaimed in reviews. In the recent Hit Parader/2008 magazine those raw hide Cowboys BADLANDS are in the top 200 Hard Rock/Metal bands of all time their/Badlands "Ray, Jake, Greg & Eric and Jeff" are at #175 I believe. I thought that was really fine. :D And a nice raw-hide pic of Jake's BADLANDS, too. Check it out.

Return to All things Jake E Lee...