all things edie van halen

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Re: all things edie van halen

Postby harddriver » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:58 pm

Ya know i just got to looking at my CD's and if im not mistaken i think i have Every Van Halen album since 1984 :? So maybe i like ol Eddie a little more than i thought.

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:05 pm

Hell_Tanner wrote:
crisguitar wrote:harddriver----------hmmmmmm ok dude 2 words michael jackson...but fair point

People, I mean WHITE people started buying Michael Jackson's albums because they heard that solo. It literally merged black music and white music, a video clip of a black man was shown on MTV. That was seldom seen before the success of Beat It.
It's that important.

I have to disagree with you a little bit there-Thriller (the mini movie with the dancing monsters, etc) was out before Beat It, and it was HUGE. MTV played the hell out of it. EVH's solo on Beat It didn't suddenly make white people start buying that album. It was already an enormous hit before. That album sold 45 million and was one of the biggest sellers of all time. There were 7 best selling singles off of it-EVH's solo didn't make that big of a difference, as far as sales. Granted, it was cool to have dance music and hard rock meet like that, but if you're talking crossover, think Aerosmith and Run DMC's remake of Walk This Way. That had more of an impact regarding genre crossover, and that didn't come out until a few years later.

My favorite Van Halen album is still 1984. PANAMA! 8)

Postby Fretman » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:52 pm

Eddie had nothing to do with whitey getting into Michael Jackson. It had more to do with the radio and MTV shoving him down everyone's throats.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Olaf » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:56 pm

Eddie is to the Giutar what Neil Pert is to the drums. Thye took it to another level. By todays comparisons they do not seem all that special because everyone is doing what they did. But they were both pioneers and amazing at what they did.

Secret Loser

Postby Hell_Tanner » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:07 pm

And I'll disagree too. I'd say that wether Ed's involvement with Jackson represents the premisices of crossover between, I'll call it soul music and rock is kinda debatable and it has been for many years. I see this collaboration as the premisces, Aerosmith/Run DMC is the "final product". Damn, the Beat It riff is a hard rock riff! It's nothing more than a hard rocking song sang by a soul singer and that was new and fresh and somewhat groundbreaking. But to each is own.

And if we talk about numbers, what shouldn't be ignored is VH sales until '82, when Thriller came out. By '82 VHI and VHII were 2x platinum, Fair Warning and WACF were both platinum and I don't have the exact figures for Diver down but that makes about 6/7,000,000 VH albums sold in 82.
Well? That makes a hell of a lot of potential buyers for anything concerning EVH, thus including Michael Jackson's Thriller knowing how hardcore VH fans are. I'm not saying ALL Vh fans bought the album but it did turn a whole large audience, a whole white audience (as I assume most VH fans are white) on soul or black music. That's not negligable.
Last edited by Hell_Tanner on Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as \"Berseker\"

Tommy Bolin Forum

Postby Fretman » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:17 pm

I can remember being horrified that Eddie played on that. It was a great solo, but WTF...Michael Jackson? Oh well...just my opinion. Oh, and the solo didn't make me buy Michael Jackson records. If you think of all of the horseshit that went multi-platinum in the 80s, and even today, it's scary as hell! They all did it without Eddie's help too...well maybe all of them except Michael. :lol:

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:26 pm

Fretman wrote:I can remember being horrified that Eddie played on that. It was a great solo, but WTF...Michael Jackson? Oh well...just my opinion. Oh, and the solo didn't make me buy Michael Jackson records. If you think of all of the horseshit that went multi-platinum in the 80s, and even today, it's scary as hell! They all did it without Eddie's help too...well maybe all of them except Michael. :lol:

True dat, Fretman. And remember Nuno Bettencourt playing on Janet Jackson's song Black Cat? It didn't make me want to buy her album, much as I love Nuno's work. It was more of a novelty kind of thing.

Killer of Giants

Postby johnthebrucelee » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:44 pm

Please don't flame me when I say this... but look at us (I'm assuming) and where we are standing and look where EVH is. :roll:

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby sonicbrew73 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:13 pm

This is always a big debate among EVH fans. Roth or Haggar? Personally, I like Haggar better. He's got a better voice, and can actually play guitar pretty decent. Roth was a great frontman though. I like both eras of VH. Everything Eddie does is great. The best Roth era album in my opinion was Fair Warning. And with Haggar, F.U.C.K. Anyway, just my thoughts on all of this.

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:57 pm

I was in the 10th grade when Van Halen debuted..and all gotta say is... in the context of hard rock music, That first album was absolutely MINDBLOWING! Especially for a kid stuggling to cop Hendrix and Page. It set the bar for modern Hard rock and Metal IMO. And all other Rock guitar music kind of lost it's luster for a couple of years.. at least for me anyway..and it got me thinkin' whether blues based playing was actually valid anymore.. i finally realized it was after everyone started abusing the tapping thing. anyway i'm rambling.....I Like Van Halen. That 1st album ranks right up there with the 1st Led Zeppelin record for me. A true watershed moment in rock history! :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:22 pm

I am not a big Michael Jackson fan or anything....but give the guy props, he had hit singles before MTV. MTV, as Fretman stated rather eloquently, propelled his stardom to the mega hieghts he attained. It really had nothing to do with Eddie Van Halen, or white people. In fact, more white people were buying his albums than any ethnic group.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:23 pm

sonicbrew73 wrote:This is always a big debate among EVH fans. Roth or Haggar? Personally, I like Haggar better. He's got a better voice, and can actually play guitar pretty decent. Roth was a great frontman though. I like both eras of VH. Everything Eddie does is great. The best Roth era album in my opinion was Fair Warning. And with Haggar, F.U.C.K. Anyway, just my thoughts on all of this.

Roth all the way baby. Hagar is much better on his own.

Killer of Giants

Postby crisguitar » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:16 am

mrmetal wrote:
sonicbrew73 wrote:This is always a big debate among EVH fans. Roth or Haggar? Personally, I like Haggar better. He's got a better voice, and can actually play guitar pretty decent. Roth was a great frontman though. I like both eras of VH. Everything Eddie does is great. The best Roth era album in my opinion was Fair Warning. And with Haggar, F.U.C.K. Anyway, just my thoughts on all of this.

Roth all the way baby. Hagar is much better on his own.

exactly

All Access Member

Postby RandyRhoadsRules! » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:00 pm

I liked the first 3 studio albums of Dave they were VERY good. but its like Quiet RIot after Randy Left
They got their diamond metal health album and theyre the biggest band in the world now look at them tehy have to support Ratt...

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:33 pm

RandyRhoadsRules! wrote:Quiet RIot

RandyRhoadsRules! wrote:theyre the biggest band in the world now

NO WAY ! 8O :P
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

PreviousNext

Return to Free for all...