What amps are you guys sportin?

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Re: What amps are you guys sportin?

Postby frethead » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:06 pm

I was interested in the 5150s back when they hit the market. Don't even recall when that was exactly, but I was hittin' pretty heavy on the Yngwie thing mixed with an itch I couldn't scratch in the form of uhhh, that guy's name was uhhh, shit. You know, the guy in Extreme. Sorry. Anyway, I'm thinking I sound like Yngwie with a Gibson Explorer, stock pickups and a Marshall 50 watt Master, and the "Extreme guy" thing . . . then there's this guy named Joe with more MIDI than you could throw a dictionary at, Dickey Betts' is always on my mind, and Randy Rhoads is hanging around!
All- in- all, the 5150 had a nice, round bottom with a full chested mid range, and some crunchy break-up in the highs. Damn, that sounds gay, but basically a really loud Fender Bandmaster with a Hi-Watt "jerk your teeth out with pliers" disposition. Which, on the other side of the coin, is essentially what makes a Marshall a Marshall. Alas, I've yet to find the Marshall that's not so full of sounding like a Marshall that it truly is (or sounds as if it were ) a Marshall; thus, after multiple cities full of sound testing guitar/amp relations and differing room architecture, I have "taken it" to Genz-Benz. Then again, I sometimes begin to think about playing a Vox and taking pleasure in all that lovely smoothness, which my Arizona built possesses in a measured dose, but does possess. My idea is that you can pretty much either have one or the other - crankin' crunch or velvetty blues. Though, it may be closer to a case much like the smoker or the drinker who constantly repeats to himself, " I smoke (drink ), but not too much."
I know there are guys who can explain it all in a technical jibe, but that's not what I'm about. And the ass says, " Yea-yuh!" :lol:
Last edited by frethead on Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone will love you, just as long as you are a shooting star.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby JR97 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:27 pm

Nuno Bettencourt is the dude you can't recall.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:15 am

anyone play a Bugera? I jammed on one at the music store the other day, it sounded badass.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby JR97 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:02 am

I've checked out Bugera online, but haven't tried one out yet.

I just picked up the matching bottom cab and now I'm sporting a full stack. Well, it's a 3/4 sized stack. Bottom is 4x10 top is 2x12, head is a Marshall Artist 3203. Below is a pic of how they size up to a 4x12 full stack (pic ins't my actual... but just to show.... mine is the same as the stack on the right with the two heads.)

http://members.aol.com/TBoling125/marshalls.jpgImage

All Access Member

Postby mojave » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:58 pm

You guys will get a kick out of this set up,,AXE-FX ultra into a QSC powerd moniter and I can nail any tone.. I had many tube amps love them but this is good or better in differnt ways,,,,

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Nikki_Saixx » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:15 am

What do you guys think about Randall Amps?
For me personally they are very nice! I play through Randalls in some rehearsal studios, and I'd say, this is the best amps for me and my Charvel! Sounds really clear, bright and pretty dry. Cool thing for some muted riffs! :)

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:19 pm

Yeah, I've played through somebody's Randall, like, thirty hundred ten fifty thousand years, and a hundred and fourteen days, ago. Wasn't that me?! I'm pretty sure that was me. I remember enjoying the clean channel very much.
Everyone will love you, just as long as you are a shooting star.

Previous

Return to Free for all...