Bark At The Moon or The Ultimate Sin?

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Re: Bark At The Moon or The Ultimate Sin?

Postby tedeeoo » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:40 am

harddriver wrote:The Ultimate Sin is without a doubt better than BATM. The only decent song on BATM is the title track. Killer of Giants and Lightning Strikes still give me goose bumps to this day. Fool like you is an awesome middle finger track and Never Know Why features an amazing solo by Jake. To bad Jake doesnt record anymore :cry:

No disrespect here, but I have to disagree with you about BATM for the simple reason that it has "Rock-n-Roll Rebel" on it, that is one of Ozzy's best songs that has been largely forgotten. Actually there are several good songs on that record, I probably prefer TUS, but I like the different textures to Jake's playing on BATM. I am glad to see that someone besides me recognizes "Fool Like You", that is a great song and a monster guitar solo, the solo in "Lightning Strikes" is one of my all time Jake fav's, as is "Thank God For The Bomb". As for Jake recording again, never say never, things change in people's lives, hopefully things will start to look better for Jake in alot of ways this year.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:23 pm

TUS also shows more of Jakes songwriting whereas BATM
was pretty much done before Jake entered.
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:32 pm

MetalHead wrote:TUS also shows more of Jakes songwriting whereas BATM
was pretty much done before Jake entered.

As I recall, didn't Jake himself say (in a Guitar World or GFTPM interview), that probably 80 percent of the music on BATM was his, and also Warren Demartini mentioned on "That Metal Show" recently, that while he and Jake were rooming together that he was working on material that became "Out Of The Cellar" at the same time that Jake was working on the stuff that became BATM ( As I remember it Jake also co-wrote "You're In Trouble" off OOTC). I do agree though, I think BATM had a very obvious "Daisley" influence on it, whereas TUS was very much Jake's record. I like both records, I think Jake did a very good job on BATM of stepping into a very hard situation, even Bob Daisley has said as much, BATM to me, kept the Randy influence but introduced Jake as himself and not a Rhoads clone. TUS is a much better record than it has ever been given credit for, Jake's playing is just fantastic on that record, it's probably my 2nd favorite Jake album ( sorry, nothing compares to his playing on "Voodoo Highway'), I just wish Randy (Castillo) had had a better drum sound on it. Of course we all are very much entitled to our own opinions and please don't misread my post as being disrespectful to anyone, I certainly do not mean for it to be.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Jake67 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:25 am

I recall from some article long ago (probably in Guitar World or GFTPM) Jake explaining the difference between the two albums.

On the first, he was new and wasn't quite sure of his place. I think he gave an example of presenting some song ideas and Ozzy (or others) saying it wasn't any good to which Jake would sheepishly reply, "You're right, it's not any good."

That wasn't because it was actually bad, but you're new and trying to find your place and what sort of contributions are needed. You're not quite sure what is considered "good" for that new situation.

By TUS, Ozzy (again, if I recall correctly) was in the Betty Ford clinic, so Jake went off and did a majority of the demo work on his own. When Ozzy got out, he'd twist those ideas into his style.

So while I love both albums, I think BATM shows Jake contributing where he could as a newcomer consider that Bob had a big presence at the time.

For TUS, you had Jake really taking control from a musical standpoint, so it's a lot more of his vision of what an Ozzy album should be. Plus, as the only carry-over band member from BATM, he was, after only one album, the veteran of the band (not counting Ozzy.)

But that's just my take trying to recall interviews from over 20 years ago.

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:33 pm

I remember that interview also, I also read an interview with Bob Daisley not to long ago were he said He and Jake wrote pretty much all of BATM and that most of Ozzy's contribution (and not to downplay it) were some vocal melodies. I remember Jake saying that about half of what he recorded while Ozzy was in Betty Ford ended up on TUS. I think your (Jake67) assessment is spot-on, I think that although most of the music on BATM was Jake's, that Bob had much more influence on the direction of that album. Both records are great to me, I just lean a little more towards TUS because it shows off Jake alot more.

Postby Morten » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:30 am

The Ultimate Sin is by far my favourite. The least cheasy, most coherent of any Ozzy album. Amazing playing by Mr. Lee.

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:30 pm

No question. BATM.

Previous

Return to All things Jake E Lee...