Badlands reissue reviews in Classic Rock mag

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Ultimate Sinner

Badlands reissue reviews in Classic Rock mag

Postby Jake67 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:22 pm

Just got the new issue of Classic Rock mag from the U.K. Nice cover and tribute to Dio.

In the reviews section, the first two Badlands reissues are reviewed. The S/T album got 8/10 while Voodoo Highway got 7/10.

There's not a lot to the reviews. The first paragraph gives a quick explanation of who was in the band, then a brief paragraph for each album.

I'd be tempted to give the first album a 9 or 10, but I do agree with the point they made about the first album being slightly better than the second.

They seem to chalk up the second album not being as strong because of egos and a "rapidly disintegrating band."

Fair enough, I suppose. Although second albums can often be a bit tricky for any band when there are actually expectations based on the first album.

Being somewhat of a supergroup, I'm sure there were lots of expectations for the first album. But normally you're just going in with whatever feels right. By album two, you can sometimes fall prey to over-thinking things a bit.

Bottom line, though... an 8/10 and 7/10 are good scores.

Killer of Giants

Re: Badlands reissue reviews in Classic Rock mag

Postby CharvelSuperStrat » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:29 pm

I subscribe to Classic Rock and was happy just to see Badlands mentioned. They were also mentioned in a previous issue in the super groups section and there was an ad for the Rock Candy reissues aswell. I wish the magazine would do more on Badlands and Jake. on the Classic Rock Forums my username is Jake E. Lee is God and alot of people had good stuff to say about Jake when I started a thread over there about him.

I even messaged Classic Rock asking them for more Badlands and Blue Murder in the magazine but didn't get a response - Lame!
"Hello this is Robbin Crosby from RATT, and when you're in your car remember to buckle up for safety, ITS THE LAW!"

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:26 pm

I listened to the first album this morning and actually think it has gotten better with time, I would definately say a 9/10. I am personally biased on "Voodoo Highway", I think it is one of the greatest guitar records ever recorded. Jake's playing on that record is just incredible, I don't hear any concern with record companies or anything else on that record, its just raw with a really 70's vibe to it. It doesn't sound as "glossy" as the first record, but thats a big part of the reason I like it so much. One of the best hard rock covers ever in "Fire and Rain" and just great original rock-n-roll songs, "Whiskey Dust", "The Last Time", and one of Jake's unsung best solos on "Silver Horses", I like every single song on that record. I know by that time there was some dissension in the group but I love that record, sometimes friction can bring about greatness. And I'm like both of you to, its good to see Badlands get some recognition, if they had come about in the mid to late 70's, people would talk about Badlands and not Aerosmith (who were great back then by the way).

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Jake67 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:38 pm

Speaking of Blue Murder, I'm thrilled that John is out of Lizzy. You can only keep re-living the past without Phil for so long. John's an under-rated play and writer. Heck... I even loved Loveland simply because they were really well-written songs, even though they were ballads.

I hope he's working on some fresh stuff now.

And he's running out of time to get back with Carmine and Tony for a Blue Murder reunion. Carmine is 64 already.

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:16 am

tedeeoo wrote:I listened to the first album this morning and actually think it has gotten better with time, I would definately say a 9/10. I am personally biased on "Voodoo Highway", I think it is one of the greatest guitar records ever recorded. Jake's playing on that record is just incredible, I don't hear any concern with record companies or anything else on that record, its just raw with a really 70's vibe to it. It doesn't sound as "glossy" as the first record, but thats a big part of the reason I like it so much. One of the best hard rock covers ever in "Fire and Rain" and just great original rock-n-roll songs, "Whiskey Dust", "The Last Time", and one of Jake's unsung best solos on "Silver Horses", I like every single song on that record.

totally agree voodoo to me has aged slightly better to from a production point of view....but lets face it both are absolute classics and always will be

Ultimate Sinner

Postby FireandRain » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:25 am

Just my 2 cents....I'm not a guitar player or any musician. I'm not into "production" or anything technical. I like what I like because it turns me on & "speaks" to me.

That said, I remember being stoked to hear that Jake had a new band & rushed out to buy, at that time, the cas-single of "Dreams in the Dark". I played it over & over & over until the album came out. (I still have my cassette AND the cas-single!) I liked it then, and still like it. Then I got Voodoo Highway. When I have a choice, I'll listen to Voodoo 1st. To me, it is my fave Badlands album. I think it flows better, and they sound more like a cohesive unit. Maybe it's because of the internal friction, but I think the music "flowed" a little better. To me, the 1st album was a collection of great songs. The 2nd was more of a story that wove through from the 1st song to the last. (OK, and the fact that they covered 1of my all-time fave songs on it counts, too! lol)

The scores that the "professional" reviewers gave were good, but I'd give VH, in my opinion, a bit higher....not that I'm biased! lol
Badlands S/T: 8/10
Voodoo Highway: 9/10
I'm not suffering from my addiction to Jake E. Lee - I'm enjoying every minute of it!

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:34 am

I love the S/T much better than Voodoo Highway but I like Jake's solos much better on Voodoo. Both great albums and a matter of choice.

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:11 pm

Well said everyone, "Voodoo" as I said is one of my all time favorite albums, but I also have to add, "Winters Call", may be my all time favorite hard rock song, I think it and "Still of the Night" are two of the best songs to come out of that era (or any era for that matter). Can you imagine what Whitesnake's follow up to the 87 album might have sounded like if Jake had written it and played on it?

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:02 pm

Both Albums were good solid , guitar driven efforts . I just wish more would have come from Badlands.

Secret Loser

Postby alfamy1 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:02 am

1 :arrow: S/T it’s a hit-album JakeE wrote 90% of it………I like 95%
2 :arrow: i think DUST with some jazzy influences are double great- considering itis actually only a demo - would be nice remixing with some more fat guitarsound even
3 :arrow: On VH -i like 80%
Last edited by alfamy1 on Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#### WOOD LOVE TO SEE JAKE E SURROUNDED WITH
LOADS OF EFFECTS AND MUSIC INSTRUMENTZ LIKELY A MUSIC-LABORATORY !! ####

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:35 am

MrScary1971 wrote:I love the S/T much better than Voodoo Highway but I like Jake's solos much better on Voodoo. Both great albums and a matter of choice.

Agreed.

Secret Loser

Postby alfamy1 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:48 am

on VH i like " Love Don't Mean a Thing " best
:mrgreen:
#### WOOD LOVE TO SEE JAKE E SURROUNDED WITH
LOADS OF EFFECTS AND MUSIC INSTRUMENTZ LIKELY A MUSIC-LABORATORY !! ####

Return to All things Jake E Lee...