jake's "tremeloed" charvels

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

jake's "tremeloed" charvels

Postby tedeeoo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:33 am

Hey everyone,

Just wondering, I know that the bridges on some of Jake's guitars were blocked, meaning they were tremelo bridges with a block put in so the bridge would not move. Does anyone know just how they were blocked and with what? Different materials affect guitar tone different ways and I was just wondering if Jake had a preferrence for the way his were blocked. Am considering doing this to a strat since hardtail strats are so hard to come by (at least Fenders are).

Thanks,
Ted

Killer of Giants

Re: jake's "tremeloed" charvels

Postby sytharnia » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:35 am

I would assume with whitey it would have been blocked with the same wood as the guitar (alder most likely)...I don't think the rest of his guitars had blocks, I think they were all made tremless

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:02 pm

I believe "Whitey" was a hard-tail, the other Charvels he had on the BATM tour were all (according to this site) blocked, his blue and purple Charvels were hard-tail bridges also.

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:04 pm

I've always used steel or brass blocks but was wondering how Jake had those 2 guitars (daphne blue and candy apple red) blocked.

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:10 pm

it appears you are right....just found this interview (from just after retraced I guess) and jake mentions that whitey is hardtailed....bloody good read actually

http://www.dinosaurrockguitar.com/new/node/249

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:44 pm

I wonder where "whitey" is now.

Postby jefnel1 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:47 am

Correct - whitey is a hardtail. For the other Charvels he used with "blocked" tremolos, he may have just added additional springs to hold the bridge down. You can effectively "block" a tremolo in this manner. Just add 2 or 3 more springs and tighten the adjustment screws all the way down. It will never move.
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:58 am

I may try that Jeff, that would actually be much simpler than some other ways. By the way Jeff, I figure if anybody would know this you would, where is "whitey" now, did Jake get rid of it, did he give it to a friend? I've never really heard him or anyone else say what happened to that guitar.

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:25 pm

what about using a tremol-no

http://www.tremol-no.com/

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:55 pm

Oh now that is cool!!!

Postby jefnel1 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:16 pm

No idea on the whereabouts of "whitey". Last I heard, it was in the hands of a collector in LA.
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:07 pm

Wow! Stunned!! That's kinda like Eddie parting with his old "frankenstien" Kramer. Always wondered, I guess now I know.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:04 pm

jefnel1 wrote:Last I heard, it was in the hands of a collector in LA.

say what? 8O why the hell would he give it away ? :cry:
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Postby skezza » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:03 am

yeah, agreed with Robin. That guitar should be in his hands or in a museum. Just imagine owning the whiey!
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:36 pm

That is a really cool Classic feature coverage on JAKE E. LEE by Dinosaur David B from the link below. I've seen this treasure article too when JAKE's "Retraced" came out some yrs back. It's a great Interview on the da Oge (Old Guitarplayin' Effluvium) Rebel musician Jake E. Lee: it's down to Earth and it has a warm grounded foundation to the whole article. Awesome 2008 Interview on JAKE and the Retraced album is definately a solid-groovin' comeback. Awesome album so is "A Fine Pink Mist" another pearl high acclaim album from Mr. Jake E. Lee. All the best and lookin' forward to other unique music gems that JAKE is in the midst of making! Godbless.
sytharnia wrote:it appears you are right....just found this interview (from just after retraced I guess) and jake mentions that whitey is hardtailed....bloody good read actually

http://www.dinosaurrockguitar.com/new/node/249

Return to All things Jake E Lee...