Dimarzio SDS1

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Ultimate Sinner

Dimarzio SDS1

Postby dillivered » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:23 am

Can anyone tell me if the Dimarzio SDS1 sound like "true" single coils
just hotter and fatter?

I don't like the Dimarzio "Virtual" vintage series and I'm hoping these are nothing like them...

Killer of Giants

Re: Dimarzio SDS1

Postby sytharnia » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:10 pm

yes they are true single coils and are very different to the virtual range....the virtual range have a lot more treble than the sds1 which focus more on mids and bass

Ultimate Sinner

Postby dillivered » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:29 pm

Pulled the trigger! Always wanted a hardtail!

Seymour Duncan TB-4 (JB spaced for my Fender trem)
2 Dimarzio SDS-1

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:59 pm

I have them loaded in the neck position on my guitars, I had to adjust the individual poles on mine just a bit, but once I got them dialed in they are easily the best single coil I've heard. They have all the good qualities of a strat pick-up with the fatness of a P90 in the neck position. I can very much understand why Jake said they were the best pick-up Dimarzio ever made.

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:00 pm

Oh and they do not sound like the virtual vintage series, the sds is a much more "honest" sounding pick-up if that makes sense.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby dillivered » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:18 pm

Thanks for the update! I am loading my american deluxe with a JB and 2 SDS-1s.... I plan to keep my Dimarzio Virtual Velvets and they sound great for what they are but I prefer a fatter tone so I'm trying the SDS-1s!

Postby skezza » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:18 am

great pickups. Some of the best ive ever used!
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Ultimate Sinner

Postby dillivered » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:50 pm

I'm stoked... The Dimarzio True Velvets sound good if you're looking for a a strat tone. I've got an Dimarzio S-S-S pickguard and an H-S-S JB/SDS1/SDS1 loaded guard and I swap them depending on my mood!

I also have a killer Gibson Flying V - Love that beast!

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:00 pm

I love the sds in my Vandenberg, after posting on this last week I went home and tweaked on my Dimarzio Heavy Blues 2 that is in one of my other Vandenbergs and am very pleased with the results, really fat but still "stratty" at the same time, lots of quack. My favorite single coil is the neck pick-up in my 64 Gibson Melodymaker, goodness that pick-up sounds great, haven't found anything yet that sounds the same. I've always wanted to try a Lindy Fralin steel-poled 43, it has a bar magnet like the melodymaker and sds, but the pole pieces are alnicos instead of ceramic. God, I love guitars!!! lol!!!!

Ultimate Sinner

Postby dillivered » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:19 pm

Me too, but man its expensive....Jake definitely inspires me to play and not just buy! Look at his humble collection for a world class player!

I really didn't care for the Dimarzio virtuals (but I was looking for a my classic single coil tone), I sent them back for True Velvets and love those!

I never gave the SDS-1 a thought and didn't even realize Jake played them but after I found that out, I ordered some and if they are a bit hotter and fatter that will be just what the doctor ordered for a second pick guard... Of course it will be a Trembucker in the bridge (JB spaced for Fender trem)!

Return to All things Jake E Lee...