Carvin Bolt Kit

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Carvin Bolt Kit

Postby vayalaping » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:02 am

After seeing this ad from Carvin for so long I started getting an itch to build my own electric. I'd done an acoustic from scratch years ago and figured if a company had already done the hard part of cutting and drilling the wood then I could take it from there. So, I looked into Allparts, WDMusic, Warmoth and StewMac to see which one would be the best deal. I chose Carvin simply because because of the convenience of having the whole package at a low price, and after reading many positive reviews at Harmony Central. Ordering from Carvin was very easy. The only caveat I did not anticipate was that the website said it takes them 3 - 5 weeks to ship out the kit. They did not mention that is only true if you add NO options! If you change pick-up configurations, etc, that adds another two weeks! Anyway, I got the kit in 7 1/2 weeks - not exactly speed demons over there in California!

This kit was very easy to put together and a lot of fun. I would recommend this project to any guitarist because it gives you some appreciation as to what is involved in building an electric guitar. Plus, it really plays well! Easily as good as a $800 Strat, no question about it. The pickup configuration I ordered was Humbucker, TwinBlade, Twinblade. To my ears its sounds fall somewhere between a Strat and Les Paul. All the hardware was top notch, not that cheap aluminum you find in the Korean and Chinese imports. Plus, the pickups are professionally wired - all you have to do is ground the jack plate and the bridge to the pots.

It definitively has helped me get closer to JEL's tone as compared to my LP's.

Here are some sound clips:

Distortion, Rhythm

Distortion, Lead

Clean, Rhythm

Clean, Arpeggios

Since I'm thinking of doing another kit, I documented the hard part - finishing the guitar - just to make it easier the second time around. Here it is for those who might be interested. It is in MS Word format.

Guitar Finishing (Tung Oil)

Here are some pics:

ImageImage

:D

Killer of Giants

Re: Carvin Bolt Kit

Postby Deansolo » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:39 am

Nice Guitar. I've always liked Carvin stuff. Quality stuff for a reasonable price.

Great finish job BTW.
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Bengal65 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:36 pm

Beware! Guitar building is very addicitive :lol: I usually build two a year. This year it is going to be 7, so far. I can't seem to find any rehab clinics that cater to guitar building syndrome :lol: Nice job by the way!

Postby vayalaping » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:45 pm

Bengal65 wrote:Beware! Guitar building is very addicitive :lol: I usually build two a year. This year it is going to be 7, so far. I can't seem to find any rehab clinics that cater to guitar building syndrome :lol: Nice job by the way!

Tell me about it! I'm already looking over the Warmoth site again!

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Bengal65 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:14 am

Also, check out www.musikraft.com if you want the San Dimas Charvel style super Strats. They make some nice necks and bodies.

Postby vayalaping » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:46 am

Thanks for the tip. I'll check out the site.

Here's a pic of the acoustic steel-string I built many moons ago.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:50 am

how much nicer that would look with no pickguard.
just solid wood :D
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Postby vayalaping » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:23 pm

MetalHead wrote:how much nicer that would look with no pickguard.
just solid wood :D

I agree.... they don't offer the kit that way though. The one I really wanted as a kit was the Bolt Plus which has no pickguard. Still, I'm real happy with the Bolt I assembled. :)

Return to Free for all...