How do you deal with cover songs and their solos ?

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Ultimate Sinner

How do you deal with cover songs and their solos ?

Postby Demon_A_Go-Go » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:18 pm

Questions for musicians and not only...What's your opinion about cover/tribute songs ? Are you playing covers or already you lost interest and keep doing your own music ? When you doing these supreme parts the solos do you like to change something or just improvise with some bluesy licks ?
For me those cover songs are really huge not only like trying to get better ,to learn smth new but also as a fan I'm supportive to the bands which originally recorded the song . Unfortunately I have only 2 demo songs 100% mine so far but these are still on my pc. Basicly I would be very happy if in one future moment I am going to be able to make my favorite tunes .For example those Bark at the moon legato endings on real speed or the beatiful serrana sweep arpeggios by Jason Becker :wink:
When I'm doing solos some parts are replaced - the main melody should stay my rule number 1 and I put some palm muted tones from the main riffs , artficial harmonics and improvize with fast runs in proper mode ,but if there are any very complicated shreds like string skipping or sweep , I am playing some pentatonic based lick instead of it. :)

All Access Member

Re: How do you deal with cover songs and their solos ?

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:09 am

I'm not a musician, so I can't speak for the technical stuff that you're referring to. With that said, I love when my favorite bands do cover tunes paying tribute to their influences. Basically, I'm a sucker for the tribute stuff.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:58 am

Personally, I try to get as close as possible, but, I know I can never be Jake E Lee or Doug Aldrich or anyone else for that matter but me. So, if I fudge a few notes, who cares? As long as you stay in tune or in key, no will care.

The only one that will care is the guitar player in the audience that thinks it's his job to critique people for not playing note for note solos. Never mind that he himself probably can't do it either, but who cares what he thinks? He is in the audience and you are on stage. :)

Killer of Giants

Postby crisguitar » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:01 pm

it depends some songs deserve to kept perfect..other i like to add my own lil bit...but i usually play the same note but in a different fasion!
like mr crowly i prefer playing the live version to the album version!

All Access Member

Postby jimiforrest » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:38 pm

I taught guitar for 10 years at a local music shop. So, it was a necessity to learn solos on covers note for note as that was what students want. As far as playing covers in a band situation, I usually kept what I felt were the really identifiable (necessary) parts. Otherwise, I come up with my own phrases based on how I feel about the song.

For the upcoming Jake Tribute CD (yes...it is coming out soon...although it ended up a little different from what is listed on the tribute page) I played what I felt fit the song while keeping the integrity of the original. On Bark at the Moon, most of the phrasing is pretty close to the original while the outro solo is right on the original. On Walking Attitude, I only kept the very end of the solo, then I did an adlib lead through the rest of the song.

This is just my approach and you can't please everyone all of the time. As a musician, I certainly think it is a good idea to learn solos note-for-note. One...it introduces you to new structures and two...it pushes your abilities. On the other hand, you have to find your own style. You need to draw from your influences and it honors your heroes to use things you pick up from them but it's very important to find yourself musically.

Jimi
(jakeelee.com)

Postby Fretman » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:41 pm

When I was younger I used to try and learn everything note for note. As time went on, like Jimi says, I tried keeping the core of the solo and putting my own spin on the rest. Now I'm a freak and just play whatever the hell I want. It's easy since I'm not in a band and no one gets to hear/critique what I'm doing. Like Mr. Metal says, there's always a guitar player in your crowd who wants to tell you what note you missed.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Demon_A_Go-Go » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:05 am

mrmetal wrote:Personally, I try to get as close as possible, but, I know I can never be Jake E Lee or Doug Aldrich or anyone else for that matter but me. So, if I fudge a few notes, who cares? As long as you stay in tune or in key, no will care.

The only one that will care is the guitar player in the audience that thinks it's his job to critique people for not playing note for note solos. Never mind that he himself probably can't do it either, but who cares what he thinks? He is in the audience and you are on stage. :)

You're so right my own brother is exactly the same type.And I do not listen to him :!:

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Thajan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:25 am

The riffs I usually keep the same, sometimes play them with a different touch.
With solo's it depents on the song I have to play, I have to do Bon Jovi's "Runaway" and on it's solo I use the first half of the solo and improvise the rest.
Usually I just stick to the original solo since I'm not a great solo player yet.

Return to Free for all...