Let's make a GG rig for Jake :D

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Let's make a GG rig for Jake :D

Postby MetalHead » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:56 am

I'm sure some of you has been to GuitarGeek and seen various rigs 8)

There are one with Randy and one with Zakk, but there's no one for Jake :(

So I was thinking ...
If someone knew his signal chain and posted it .. I'd happily do the
photoshop cut/paste :twisted:
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Re: Let's make a GG rig for Jake :D

Postby jefnel1 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:02 am

I don't think the owner of GuitarGeek.com would appreciate you stealing the pictures to create your own. I was in contact with him a couple years ago asking about a Jake rig. He said he had one in the works and when I offerred my help, he asked me not to take the pictures from his site because he spent hours and in some cases, days to create them.

We would need his permission before the Jake rig you create is posted here.
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:33 pm

Dang, that site is pretty neat, man! And, now I know what Warren Haynes is using to get that in- crazy, yah-yah, _uckin' credible sound!!! Hmmm, it appears that someone was interested enough to do research into Mick Mars' set-up. LOL Like, " see: Zakk Wylde" LOLOLO!

Postby skezza » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:59 am

It looks good, but i find that the Randy one is slightly innacurate as nobody actually knows PERFECTLY what Randy used. there was a thread over at UR that was pointing out Randy may have used an OD-1, remember, yellow box :lol:. we had a strong case for it to, and Metal Head can confirm that one ;)

Killer of Giants

Postby Moose6 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:16 pm

Y'all need to check out Angus Young's rig. I didn't realiza he used so much stuff. :?

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:54 pm

O. K. I had to see what they posted for Angus' rig. I know he has never captured that "Bob Bradshaw" sound, but you can't beat Angus' sound. On the other hand . . . when you listen to Yngwie, you will develop an appreciation for how much money he's wasted on that rack-mounted stuff since Rising Force.

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:00 pm

Well, now that's a pretty extraodinary music gear Website GuitarGeek (odd name!) proberly spent hours & hours & hours & hours and "more" hours (smile) studying musicians music gears. That's alot of passion & blood, sweat & tears that is put into his GuitarGeek detail illustrations: I took peek at Zakk Wylde, Randy Rhoads & the spooky twins of Slipknot #4 (Root) & #7 (Mick) gear gadgets/Rigs their called looks really cool like a Blueprint and nice to know that Rig is being considered/done in Jake E. Lee honor on his music gear. I would like to see a Blueprint so to speak of his JAKE's Rig/music gadget gear on this GuitarGeek 'Site, as well! Peace.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:38 pm

come on, let's make this happen people :D
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Secret Loser

Postby Sunrise » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:08 am

The Hendrix Woodstock set up was real simple, guess that was all he needed.

Secret Loser

Postby Sunrise » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:09 am

By the way, didn't a Japanese guitar magazine once put together Jake's rig. I cant remember the name of it but it was really detailed, saw it on ebay about 5 years ago, they did one with Steve Via and Zakk as well.

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:32 pm

Wow, this post Topic is pretty dated (or not 2006 isn't that far off yet still..) one would think that the highly established GuitarGeek would of been displayed a GuitarGeek rig on legendary Rebel musician Jake E. Lee for his certainly already "earned" worked his buns off in the Music field. Be nice to finally have his rigs (music gears/blueprints, etc,.) on the GuitarGeek 'site displayed: for other up and coming musicians & music fans to check out in all. His early works w/OZZY, and his band BADLANDS, WA, and his Solo recording(s) "Retraced" & "A Fine Pink Mist" would love to see the gear wears for that both highly acclaimed recordings!! 8)

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:33 pm

Good eye Shadow. Did not even notice that this was an old thread, that has been brought back to life. Never heard of Guitar Geek until now. Cool website, but yeah, you would think they would have Jake listed by now.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:54 pm

Shadow wrote:Wow, this post Topic is pretty dated (or not 2006 isn't that far off yet still..) one would think that the highly established GuitarGeek would of been displayed a GuitarGeek rig on legendary Rebel musician Jake E. Lee for his certainly already "earned" worked his buns off in the Music field. Be nice to finally have his rigs (music gears/blueprints, etc,.) on the GuitarGeek 'site displayed: for other up and coming musicians & music fans to check out in all. His early works w/OZZY, and his band BADLANDS, WA, and his Solo recording(s) "Retraced" & "A Fine Pink Mist" would love to see the gear wears for that both highly acclaimed recordings!! 8)

if anything, they'd focus on his time with Ozzy.
...and please don't write WOULD OF :P

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby LinFilouX » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:37 am

Jake E. Lee: Thank God For Axology
by Steven Rosen-Guitar World Nov.1986

Since his days in Ratt, Jake E. Lee has used guitars without a vibrato arm, structuring his style around virtually one singular instrument. This guitar is a circa 1974 (it may be a 1975) Fender Stratocaster which has been Charvel-ized, featuring Gotoh tuners, brass bridge and Gibson frets. The headstock was carved down courtesy of Charvel and the neck has been shaved (it is now thinner and narrower) by the same company. The neck is made of maple with a rosewood fretboard and the body is one allowing the strings to run entirely through it. Lee feels they produce a warmer sound than those bodies sporting vibrato assemblies. Two single-coil DiMarzio SDS-1 pickups have been slanted opposite the normal position so that the pole pieces for the bass strings are closer to the bridge, producing more bite and less mushiness. Jake found that pickups started losing clarity on the low E and A strings when the neck pickups were switched on and this new positioning seemed to solve the problem. The bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan Allan Holdsworth prototype (he has used other Duncan units but never found one quite so warm-sounding).

Lee plugs the ?Charvel? into a 1977 Marshall 100-watt head (stock) powering a Marshall 4x12 cabinet with EV speakers. He couples this with a Marshall 50-watt top (circa 1964) powering the same cabinet for his recorded rhythm sound. The 100-watt gives him the edge and distinction of sound he is seeking while the 50-watt smooths out the tone with a warmer quality. Jake normally doubles and triple-tracks all his rhythm parts (?Rock N? Roll Rebel? had four). All the Marshall bottoms are of a straight design (the slant cabs, in his estimation, tend to lose bottom) and he has realized that the EV speakers are more efficient for bass response than the Celestions. These latter speakers constitute a narrow frequency response and break up quicker; Lee likes amplifier distortion as opposed to distortion from the speaker.

All the solos on The Ultimate Sin? were played through the Marshall 50-watt with the exception of ?Killer Of Giants?, which was performed with an old Rockman and a Rat Distortion unit. Jake stands in the studio when running down solos because he does not achieve the same feedback or response from a studio monitor as he does from his own amplifier speaker. ?I guess it?s weird, most people don?t do that. That?s what everybody kept telling me. I like to stand in front of the cabs an have it blow my hair back. I get into it more that way. I like it loud and I like it coming right out of my cab into my face.?

Though he calls using pedals ?cheating?, Jake used an array of Boss units, including: CE-3 Chorus, BF-2 Flanger, DM-2 Delay (rhythm), (2) DD-2 Digital Delays (lead), GE-7 Equalizer (7 band), SCC-700 computerized pedalboard, and a Variac (set between 90 and 100). The two digital units are as follows: one for slow leads and a lot of delay, and one for normal leads with just a touch of delay.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:34 pm

...ok...?

Next

Return to All things Jake E Lee...