Dusk

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants
Posts: 1893
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: BFE

Re: Dusk

Postby Doobie » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:42 am

I disagree with the statement "the vocals and guitars copy each other in dog".

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 440
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: auckland new zealand

Re: Dusk

Postby sytharnia » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:03 pm

people must hear things very differently because to me they totally follow each other for all the verses

Secret Loser
User avatar
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:23 am

Re: Dusk

Postby Sunrise » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:28 am

I still thanks God that we have a 3rd Badlands album to listen to

Rock N' Roll Rebel
User avatar
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Metrowest Boston, MA

Re: Dusk

Postby 3dayphunk » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:14 pm

Dusk is essentially demos. They were playing a few of these tune live too at the end of their run ("Tribal Moon", "Healer", "Dogs", "Sun Red Sun"). I think "Lord Knows" was from their very first demo (before their 1st album came out). So anyways, it should be known that a lot of time or effort to fine tune and complete everything went into it. There was nothing really done to it outside the live takes (no more vocal tracks, solo tracks, fixes, layers, etc).

So maybe you need to know what the album is before you fully appreciate it? I for one, LOVE Dusk. I absolutely appreciate that Jake/Greg/Jeff put it out for us! No matter how long they waited to put it out. I was just listening to it today in fact.

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 440
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: auckland new zealand

Re: Dusk

Postby sytharnia » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:36 pm

3dayphunk wrote:Dusk is essentially demos. They were playing a few of these tune live too at the end of their run ("Tribal Moon", "Healer", "Dogs", "Sun Red Sun"). I think "Lord Knows" was from their very first demo (before their 1st album came out). So anyways, it should be known that a lot of time or effort to fine tune and complete everything went into it. There was nothing really done to it outside the live takes (no more vocal tracks, solo tracks, fixes, layers, etc).

So maybe you need to know what the album is before you fully appreciate it? I for one, LOVE Dusk. I absolutely appreciate that Jake/Greg/Jeff put it out for us! No matter how long they waited to put it out. I was just listening to it today in fact.


I pretty much said some of that in one of my earlier posts so I know exactly what it is....really its only 2 songs I don't dig.. I love much about the album but I can also see why ray wasn't totally thrilled about it

Ultimate Sinner
User avatar
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Hoboken, NJ

Re: Dusk

Postby LouZ » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:48 pm

Synth- I'm almost positive Ray was unhappy with 'Voodoo Highway'

There's that terrible magazine article where Ray is telling his side of the story, and he talks about why he didn't put any acknowledgements and thank yous in the liner of Voodoo. It was because he wasn't happy with all the songs and wanted to keep writing or work on some stuff he came up with. It's a sad, sad article because that special relationship Ray and Jake had seemed to crumble because of the record company.

I'm not too sure if the Dusk demo was presented to Atlantic, then they were dropped or they were dropped from Atlantic, then came up with the Dusk demo. Sony was interested in signing them, but wouldn't because of rumors that Ray had health problems, which unfortunately turned out to be true.

And yes 'Lord Knows' was written before the first album was released. They played it live on the first tour. There's a YouTube clip of it. It's my personal favorite
I heard 'Purple Haze' on the radio and ...... it made the hairs on the back of my neck stood up

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 440
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: auckland new zealand

Re: Dusk

Postby sytharnia » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:46 pm

LouZ wrote:Synth- I'm almost positive Ray was unhappy with 'Voodoo Highway'



I know in dag the giblets jake said he hate was it whiskey dust or something?? so you are probably right...I just always thought it was the stuff they were currently working on that led to the split

Secret Loser
User avatar
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:23 am

Re: Dusk

Postby Sunrise » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:07 am

Theres nothing in DAG where Jake says he hates anything.

Rock N' Roll Rebel
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:03 pm

Re: Dusk

Postby metalk76 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:14 am

I don't recall Jake say he hates Whiskey Dust, and I watched Dag numerous times :? And Dusk is an awesome album :) I read about the dusk demos as well.... Sad about Ray I always list to everything Jake does... From Ozzy to Retraced and Fine Pink Mist :wink:

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 440
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: auckland new zealand

Re: Dusk

Postby sytharnia » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:43 pm

Sunrise wrote:Theres nothing in DAG where Jake says he hates anything.


I didn't say jake hated it. if you read what I said about the post I linked I said jake said that "you" hated it (ray was sitting next to him...go watch it again

All Access Member
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:24 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Dusk

Postby Kathy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:26 pm

sytharnia wrote:
Sunrise wrote:Theres nothing in DAG where Jake says he hates anything.


I didn't say jake hated it. if you read what I said about the post I linked I said jake said that "you" hated it (ray was sitting next to him...go watch it again


Good excuse to watch it again!! :wink: I love Voodoo Highway...I reach for it over and over I listen to other artists but I still go back to that cd. Never too far away.

Previous

Return to All things Jake E Lee...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests