Was Jake In Dio when Bain and Appice were?

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Re: Was Jake In Dio when Bain and Appice were?

Postby mrmetal » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:11 pm

PoetsandMadmen wrote:I don't see where Jake wouldn't have fit playing with Dio then. It just sounds like a decision that himself and Wendy made. I don't think it necessarily was a bad decision on Dio's part, due to the success he has had. On the other side of the coin, Jake could have even made him better, so who knows?

Both Jake and Ronnie have had great careers, but Jake apparently lost interest in pushing himself after the demise of Badlands.

I don't think it would have worked either. Just my two cents. If Jake thought it was bad working for Ozzy, who knows nothing about music; he probably would have really been unhappy working for Ronnie, who was a focused, driven individual, and musically trained on top of that.

All Access Member

Postby RandyRhoadsRules! » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:00 pm

Plus no offense to dio fans.. He is a bit self centered

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:33 pm

RandyRhoadsRules! wrote:Plus no offense to dio fans.. He is a bit self centered

i.e. "focused"

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Thajan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:38 am

Wasn't it Jimmi Bain who discovered Jake?
I remember reading it somewhere.... So I think he was with the VInnie, Dio Jimmi line up

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Thajan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:41 am

Wasn't it Jimmi Bain who discovered Jake?
I remember reading it somewhere.... So I think he was with the VInnie, Dio Jimmi line up

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby BadSeed » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:30 am

I was told by ronnie, and jake confirmed, that they were a 3 piece.vinnie A on drums, ronnie on bass and vocals, and jake on guitar.

Ronnie knew Jake from producing ROUGH CUTT.Jake joined RC for the Dio connection.Its been well documented as far as i know.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:19 pm

Thajan wrote:Wasn't it Jimmi Bain who discovered Jake?

I believe Bain discovered Vivian. I've heard Ronnie say in an interview that Bain had a gift for finding unknown talent. Apparently so if he hooked up with Vivian Campbell!
Last edited by PoetsandMadmen on Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:21 pm

mrmetal wrote:
PoetsandMadmen wrote:I don't see where Jake wouldn't have fit playing with Dio then. It just sounds like a decision that himself and Wendy made. I don't think it necessarily was a bad decision on Dio's part, due to the success he has had. On the other side of the coin, Jake could have even made him better, so who knows?

Both Jake and Ronnie have had great careers, but Jake apparently lost interest in pushing himself after the demise of Badlands.

I don't think it would have worked either. Just my two cents. If Jake thought it was bad working for Ozzy, who knows nothing about music; he probably would have really been unhappy working for Ronnie, who was a focused, driven individual, and musically trained on top of that.

We're looking at this from two different view points then. You're looking at it from a work ethic point of view and I'm looking at it from a musical standpoint. It's interesting how people perceive things! I understand what you're saying though.

Ronnie is a down to business/disciplined kind of guy and Jake is fly by the seat of his pants, right?

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:12 pm

I don't think it would have worked musically. Well, face it, it didn't when Dio tried.

I attribute that mostly to Dio working with Europeans and having a European influence in his music. Hence, Vivian got that gig.

It is probably the same reason DiMartini didn't work in Dio. That LA metal sound just wouldn't work for him. That and Warren wouldn't (or couldn't depending on who you believe) learn the songs right.

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:15 pm

I'm sure it was a very mystic & energy driven experience that legendary musician*s Jake E. Lee and the Master Dragon Ronnie James Dio music paths cross, how interesting. I highly admire & like both Music Artists, alot and they both totally ROCKED & Trailblazed this Planet the Rebel JAKE E. LEE and Icon band DIO. A heavy combination of the Heart & those early treasure music gems demos of Jake E. Lee (Williams) with DIO are proberly kept in the treasure Dragon Dio Vault w/other gem rarities. Smile! That's very cool & up to Mr. Ronnie James Dio if he ever wants to unleash them: I for one wouldn't mind hearing them & seeing them release in Record Stores/and Online Worldwide sometime "soon" in the very near future. Peace!

All Access Member

Postby RandyRhoadsRules! » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:08 pm

mrmetal wrote:I don't think it would have worked musically. Well, face it, it didn't when Dio tried.

I attribute that mostly to Dio working with Europeans and having a European influence in his music. Hence, Vivian got that gig.

It is probably the same reason DiMartini didn't work in Dio. That LA metal sound just wouldn't work for him. That and Warren wouldn't (or couldn't depending on who you believe) learn the songs right.

Speaking of Warren... I can't wait till theres a RATT schism! 3 Ratt's
Warrens
Bobbys Ratt
Johns And Robbie's Ratt!

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:14 am

mrmetal wrote:I don't think it would have worked musically. Well, face it, it didn't when Dio tried.

Do you think that's what happened with Rowan Robertson? Why did he only play on one album?

Actually, I've read where Rowan was from England I believe.
Last edited by PoetsandMadmen on Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:16 am

Shadow wrote:I'm sure it was a very mystic & energy driven experience that legendary musician*s Jake E. Lee and the Master Dragon Ronnie James Dio music paths cross, how interesting. I highly admire & like both Music Artists, alot and they both totally ROCKED & Trailblazed this Planet the Rebel JAKE E. LEE and Icon band DIO. A heavy combination of the Heart & those early treasure music gems demos of Jake E. Lee (Williams) with DIO are proberly kept in the treasure Dragon Dio Vault w/other gem rarities. Smile! That's very cool & up to Mr. Ronnie James Dio if he ever wants to unleash them: I for one wouldn't mind hearing them & seeing them release in Record Stores/and Online Worldwide sometime "soon" in the very near future. Peace!

Yeah, in the end it looks like it all worked out for the best. I agree, it would be great to hear some demos of Ronnie and Jake in the studio. Maybe that's what Dio needs to add as bonus tracks if he ever gives his cataloge the re-master treatment!

All Access Member

Postby Stargazer » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:42 pm

Well i don't think it was because of the LA metal scene. Doug Aldrich has been with 2 Dio twice now and he is from the same scene as Jake and Warren. I'm sure Warren could learn the songs I can play Vivian, Craig, Tracy and Doug's stuff and Warren is better than I am. Rowan's stuff is very difficult though. Craig Goldy is also from the L.A. scene but he has more of a european/neo classical/Blackmore style than Doug, Jake or Warren. Vivian actually sounded more like many guys on the L.A. metal scene than Craig does. I always thought Randy Rhoads and Ronnie James Dio would be the ultimate combination.

PoetsandMadmen wrote:

Do you think that's what happened with Rowan Robertson? Why did he only play on one album?

Actually, I've read where Rowan was from England I believe.

Rowan is from England. I've spoken with Rowan many times. He's an incredible player. His style was more of a mix of Steve Vai, Randy Rhoads and Vivian Campbell than the L.A. style. Rowan was only 16 when he was hired for Dio too! rowan only played on 1 album because Ronnie put Dio on hold to rejoin Black Sabbath in 1991 while they were writing a follow up to Lock Up the Wolves. When Ronnie reformed Dio in late 1992 Rowan was already working with Oni logan who he met through Wendy Dio. Ronnie than decided to hire Tracy G who had played in WWIII with Jimmy Bain and Vinny Appice.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:17 pm

I didn't mean the LA scene, I meant that sound. Rowan didn't have that sound as you pointed out. Doug may have been in and from that scene, but his playing doesn't reflect it. Plus, he is talented enough to sound however he wants.

Rowan played the solos pretty much note for note when I saw them way back then. He was awesome.

I have nothing but respect for Warren's playing but when I heard he joined Dio I wasn't thrilled to hear that and I didn't think it would work. Two weeks later Dio had Goldy back.

PreviousNext

Return to All things Jake E Lee...