Purpleburst Build-It's Getting Closer!

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Ultimate Sinner

Re: Purpleburst Build-It's Getting Closer!

Postby Bengal65 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:18 pm

MetalHead wrote:i can't find polyurethane in my dictionary either :(
i don't want to look like a fool when I'm asking questions
at the paintshop :?

What kind of dictionary do you have? To Quote Websters Dictionary, "polyurethane - any of various polymers that are used esp in flexible and rigid foams, resins, etc."

Here is the PPG Automotive website that might help you. Basically you are looking for a catalyzed primer, base coat and clear coat. In short the paints are epoxies that cure by a catalyzed reaction rather than having to wait for solvents to evaporate.
I'm somewhat of an expert in steel. So, if it were steel I'd send you to Sandvik in Sweden, but I don't know the paint manufacturers in Sweden. 8)

http://www.ppg.com/cr-refinish/phase1/frmHome.asp

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:30 pm

actually, I think I have a solution to all this :D

while doing my bussiness in the bathroom, I picked up one
of the many guitar mags I have lying around and found an
ad for this company whose website I of course checked up.

According to them, the process could go like this ... simplified by me:

Put on a few layers of regular clear-coating lacquer, sand in between.
If using a solid color, Acrylic paint is recommended.
Put on a few clearcoats using Cellulous-lacquer, sand in between.

I can get clear-coating lacquer from work. If not ... there are paintshops :twisted:
Acrylic paint is what's supposedly most common on cars so I could get that
in any car-parts dealer around.
The company in question sells the Cellulous-lacquer.

Well, g'night for now :)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:14 am

your best bet is to use Nitro cellulous it comes out like glass and thats what most luthieres use anyway
The artist formally known as Brawler

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Bengal65 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:20 am

stratattack wrote:your best bet is to use Nitro cellulous it comes out like glass and thats what most luthieres use anyway

Yes, but it takes for ever to cure. For example, Gibson lets their guitars hang for 6 months before sanding and buffing. I've got a Tele that I did 3 years ago that is still curing. It's together of course, but the Nitro is still curing. Many of the manufacturers have converted to using catalyzed finishes.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:50 am

I noticed a jar of Urethane-laquer today at work so I know it's available here.
it was clear coat btw.

so, the fastest way could be:

Urethane-clearcoat to cover the grain
Urethane color(I'm going solid)
Urethane clearcoat on top of that.

?
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:31 am

use a good heat lamp too to help with the bakeing so it cures evenly
The artist formally known as Brawler

Postby m2203 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:05 pm

Hey,
Bengal 65 how have you been? I see you have been busy putting a purpleburst together, SWEET! It is good the forum is back I picked up alot of good info on here.

I assembled an ash natural bodied Jake in December, I plays/sounds very well, brass bridge, SDS-1's and JB. I am about to assemble my warmoth maple bodied Jake this week. I still need to paint it yet.

I have a paint book that recommends Krylon acrylic enamel, states that is cures faster than alot of buzz can paint out there.

I love the SDS-1's by the way even with their noise.

Any way just thought I would say hi.

Let me know how to past a pic on here and I will show you the ASH Jake if you like.

Mark

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Bengal65 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:19 pm

m2203 wrote:Hey,
Bengal 65 how have you been? I see you have been busy putting a purpleburst together, SWEET! It is good the forum is back I picked up alot of good info on here.

I assembled an ash natural bodied Jake in December, I plays/sounds very well, brass bridge, SDS-1's and JB. I am about to assemble my warmoth maple bodied Jake this week. I still need to paint it yet.

I have a paint book that recommends Krylon acrylic enamel, states that is cures faster than alot of buzz can paint out there.

I love the SDS-1's by the way even with their noise.

Any way just thought I would say hi.

Let me know how to past a pic on here and I will show you the ASH Jake if you like.

Mark

Great to have ya back. Sounds like you have been busy :) You can go to www.photobucket.com and set up an account. Then you load your pictures on to the site. Once you have done that all you need is to highlight the "img" file, copy and paste it into your forum message.
Yes, Krylon is about one of the quickest to dry as far as air dry paints. The fella that wrote the books at paintyourownguitar recommends Krylon for spray can paint jobs and Duplicolor as a second choice.

Postby m2203 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:25 pm

Here is a couple of pics of the ASH jake. The body was some custom strat body that had a brass bridge on it already from evil bay. I snagged a 1/4 sawn mighty mite neck and it rocks, It setup and plays very well and the ash has nice resonance to my surprise.

The body has some cool figuring in it it actually has some flame in the pattern. No bad for 120.00 buck for the body and bridge.

Just tried to add attachment, says my file is too big, is there any way around this?

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:26 pm

m2203 wrote:Just tried to add attachment, says my file is too big, is there any way around this?

photobucket.com ? ;)

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Bengal65 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:36 pm

You can edit and reduce on the photobucket.com. Click on the "Edit" and try 50% to start.

Postby m2203 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:47 pm

Here we go, one more try.

Postby m2203 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:50 pm

I will try another one.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Bengal65 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:47 pm

Nice guitar! Killer score on that Ash body. Yes, it looks "flamey"!

Postby m2203 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:19 pm

Thanks for the kind words, I was going to just use the bridge off of it but I liked the wood grain on the body when I got it and decided to put it together as a trial run for the warmoth. It has a Kharma bodies stamp in the neck pocket (hempsted NY) , I've never heard of them, it an older body that was well used. I got the 1/4 sawn neck for $85.00 bucks just to see if I liked the tone of the body. I still prefer 1 5/8 nut width but 1 11/16" isn't too bad. I see a custom rosewood/pao ferro fingerboard/maple Warmoth neck in it's future, for now it does the trick.

The guitar setup and inntonated dead on, and feels much better and has good solid resonance throught the body when you play. Much better than alot of newer fenders I have played recently. And no doubt as good or better than the GMW jake replicas.

Thanks for all your info and tips, they helped me throw it together.
I will keep you posted on the white/black Jake build and I hope you do the same. Your purple burst looks amazing.

Can you post a pic of your white/black Jake? I haven't seen it with the Charvel bridge. You were just powder coating it then.
Thanks!
Take Care!

PreviousNext

Return to All things Jake E Lee...