Purpleburst Build-It's Getting Closer!

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Ultimate Sinner

Re: Purpleburst Build-It's Getting Closer!

Postby Bengal65 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:27 pm

OhMG, I just typed about 3 pages of instructions in the message and the screen went blank and said error. I'll work on some type of PDF and paste it on here later. Anyhow you need the pickguard single coil template. Not the pickup cavity template. They look similar on the StewMac site and a straight ball bearing router bit, router (a router table makes it easy) and some double stick tape. Check out the "Free Info" on the StewMac site.

Postby m2203 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:04 pm

Hey guys what's up. I started with a standard Single bridge humbucker .090" satin black warmoth pickguard.

If you don't want to invest in a router to cut the pickguard I used a Rotozip to cut down the middle of the template in the pickgarud material then finshed my cuts with a fine bladed jigsaw and followed the template edges being careful no to cut the templates.

It's not a clean as the Router job but if you take your time it turns out good and saves you a router investment.

Bengal is right on with the 10 dgree reverse slant. Just use a standard Fender 11 hole hole pickguard to mark your lower pickup mounting holes and drill them. Attach your template with a pickup screw and slant the template 10 degrees to your left then once you have your angle drill the upper mounting hole. Then you are ready to cut. IF you flip a standard strat pickguard over the foward slant of the bridge p/u is 10 degrees. You can chech your angle with a protractor. See, Geometry comes in handy sometime in your life, LOL!

Bengal has some great advice to get you started. Just take your time.
Hope this helps some.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Bengal65 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:09 pm

Here is what jefnel1 wrote awhile back on pickguards.
"Hi. Contact Tony at Pickguardian.com. He has the best quality guards and already has a great template design to work from."

If he's got the templates, go for it. If you have the tools, materials and experience you can make your own. I'm sure the Pickguardian is worth the cost for this one off design.

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:00 am

I want to do some fill-in paint on my Explorer, 'cause I've banged it on everything from here to St. Louis ( where it was bought). In most spots the wood is visible, and I'm just lucky that the color is nothing special, just black. Then again . . . I didn't think twenty-three years ago that I'd carry it around for so long! Any ideas or suggested parameters for "coloring in" my baby?
Also, I read somewhere ( Popular Science, maybe?) that the thing to do when you want to pull a dent out of wood is to place a drop of water in the dent, tape it, and let it set. This causes the wood to swell overnight and, theoretically speaking, one would be miraculously blessed with something closer to a rise. Than, ofcourse, sanding would be the final step of the task. I'm curious if anyone has ever done anything like this.
Coincidentally, I just replaced the p/g on my Explorer with ( essentially speaking) two pickguards cut out of white veneer ( thinner than 1/16") and layered to match the heighth of the original. I'm not sure how important that is, and I chose to maintain an "original" attitude when uncertain. It comes awful close to a perfect match, and it looks good to me. That's pretty damn good, too. That stuff was very easy to work with.
Last edited by frethead on Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Bengal65 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:05 pm

You can "steam" the dents out using a soldering iron and a wet towel. Place the wet towel over the area to be raised and place the soldering iron tip on the towel. Only for a few seconds enough to not burn through the towel. Check your work and you may have to repeat this several times till the dent is gone. It works great.
Explorer, Gibson? If it's a Gibson it was painted with Nitro lacquer and the chipped areas are not extensive, you do "drop fills" from a pipette. You can get Gibson black from www.reranch.com (spray can) or mix your own with clear lacquer from a quart size or black in a spray can from StewMac, www.stewmac.com. For the quart type material you will need to add some black dye compatible with lacquer. Also available at StewMac. The drop fill will fill the area. You will have to make multiple drops as the lacquer is very thin. Once you build the area up to above the original finish and let dry for a few days, you can wet sand the area with 600 grit to blend the repair area. then go to 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000. At this point you can buff by hand with some 3M Finesse It or "Fine" StewMac compound and a cotton cloth or a microfiber cloth. If you want a mirror perfect finish buff with some Stewmac, 3M or Meguires Swirl remover.
The lacquer will "burn-in" to the old lacquer and your repair will be virtually undetectable.

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:56 pm

Holy crapshooter!!! You are my hero. Let me tell you, bud, if Houston wasn't so far from the east coast, I would like to buy you a drink.
Yes, it's a Gibson. Yet, Nitro lacquer in 1983? If you say so. OK.
I'm familiar with Mcguier's Swirl remover. Invaluable stuff.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Alkeys » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:22 pm

Thanks for all the info you guys, if any of you guys are ever in Seattle, beers on me.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:35 pm

I feel a trip to the US is needed.
People are buying beer everywhere :twisted:
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Bengal65 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:16 pm

frethead wrote:Holy crapshooter!!! You are my hero. Let me tell you, bud, if Houston wasn't so far from the east coast, I would like to buy you a drink.
Yes, it's a Gibson. Yet, Nitro lacquer in 1983? If you say so. OK.
I'm familiar with Mcguier's Swirl remover. Invaluable stuff.

Thanks, I'll need afew! And yes, To my knowledge Gibson has not stopped using Nitro lacquer. Among there fellow Nitro users is also Rickenbacker.
Take your time doing this. If you use aerosol black spray some into a plastic cup and let it sit there awhile, but don't let it dry. I forgot to mention Stewmac has pipettes or you can also use a medicine dropper. The pipettes are smaller and allow for a smaller drop size. Let your drop dry somewhat before dropping another.
In addition, if you have a larger spot. you can surround the area with masking tape, tape off the guitar and use short blasts from a spray can. or airbrush for more control.
Side story: back in 1983, I restored some nasty chips in a Les Paul Std. Cherry sunburst. (This was my first ever attempt at doing a finish repair) The problem was the chips transcended the 3 colors in the burst! I did it all using Gibson lacquer (I got from the factory) and an airbrush. Later, in 1990 I took the guitar with me to Elderly Instruments in Lansing Michigan to trade for another guitar. The service department had 3 techs look over the guitar and declare it mint! Ha! One of the the best said it looked like the factory may have done a repair to the guitar, but he couldn't say as the guitar was not marked a 2nd!
So, have at it, I know you will be a success. Last year, I did my prized Black LPC, that had some dings and bruses from the previous owner.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:18 pm

frethead:

this is for you ;)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Bengal65 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:01 pm

EMG's nice! I bet you that one sounds fantastic!

Previous

Return to All things Jake E Lee...