What the heck is this?

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Rock N' Roll Rebel

What the heck is this?

Postby Jiver » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:19 pm

This was attached to someone's post; would like to know what it meant. Sure, one could argue that Jake was sometimes aloof. But all the fans here know his deal; he's somewhat reserved.

It's been several years since I posted this story. Had a membership in 2002-03, and posted my story back then. But here it goes again. I met Jake when Badlands played the Mason Jar in Phx, circa early 92. Jan-Feb-Mar, sometime around there. Then, I moved to the Pacific NW. Been here ever since. Bought Jake a beer, he gave me a Marlboro!. He was as cool as they come, no pretensions whatsoever. Down to earth dude. Talked in vagueness about experiences with Ozzy. I've an excellent memory when it comes to this meeting, as I do when I met Rob Halford (who lived in Phx around the same time), so, here's part of what was said:

Asked him about Oz, he said it was a good experience, did not like the way it ended. But at that time, was just reestablishing contact with Ozzy. Told him I thought Zakk "ripped" off his signature squeal technique on guitar; he just laughed and shrugged.

Asked him how well Voodoo was doing, he said "around 100,000". 1st one, he said, "400,000 or so, should be gold soon". Unfortunately, it didn't get to 1/2 mil to be certified.

Asked about record co. dealings, he said, "Hard to tour without any real company support. But we're doing alright on our own." Shortly thereafter, they were dropped by Atlantic, and broke up. This was the era when Grunge took off, and 80's acts were being dropped l/r. Warrant, Dangerous Toys, Bang Tango, similiar acts.

He encouraged me to keep playing; for the love of playing, and do it "from the heart". That particular show, he was accessible. My friend, who was w/ me, was blown away, and couldn't muster anything to say. Just kept saying, "this is F*&*ing awesome". I didn't want him to think I was some sort of dimwit, so I asked some poignant q/a. Greg was cool as well, talking and all. Ray was cool, but "occupied" with some females, as was Jeff. Great evening/experience that night.

Funny thing is, WW3 with Mandy Lion played in the Pac NW in 94, and I couldn't get to meet up with him again. He was whisked away in the limo after the show; they all were. Hmm...but at least I can say I hung out with the guy. So, that statement doesn't really apply.

Killer of Giants

Re: What the heck is this?

Postby mrmetal » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:59 am

Told him I thought Zakk "ripped" off his signature squeal technique on guitar; he

Zakk's pinch harmonic technique and Jake's pinch harmonic technique do not sound anything alike to me. When you hear Zakk do it, you can immediately tell it is Zakk and no one else. He also has more sustain when he does that. Not that one is better than the other....

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:30 am

from what I've heard, Zakks playing stems more from Tony Iommi :twisted:
and Frank Marino :!: more Frank though ...

His pinches sounds ... like ... no one else ;)

Don't forget the active pups and the abuse of the wah ;)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:39 am

I dont think Zakk has ever sounded anything like Jake. Now i dont know a pinchtonic froma gin and tonic but i do listen to a lot of music and i dont think Zakk ever ripped Jake off. Luv em both 8)

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:58 am

I agree. Completely different playing styles and technique.

Killer of Giants

Postby Moose6 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:04 am

I see most replies are about the pinched harmonics, so let me be the first to say... Cool Story!!! Maybe one of these days a few of us may get some access to Jake again. We can always hope.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:06 pm

Moose6 wrote:I see most replies are about the pinched harmonics, so let me be the first to say... Cool Story!!! Maybe one of these days a few of us may get some access to Jake again. We can always hope.

Yeah really! Maybe those of us that's never gotten to see or meet the guy can someday!

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:10 pm

maybe he's planning on an unexpected visit at the next NAMM ? :twisted: 8)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:52 pm

Wow thatb was a great eye opener on jake hey guys?
The artist formally known as Brawler

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:46 pm

Great story, Jiver! Alright, man! I think that quote was from some magazine, actually. Here's my take on the "pinched harmonics," and how Zakk's compare to Jake's. I don't listen to anything with Zakk playing regularly, but it sounds like to me ( if I remember correctly) that Zakk tends to hit those thin squacks back on the string closer to the bridge ( caused by, perhaps, laziness or by preference for the higher pitches for the reason of dulled hearing?). I think Jake takes more of an artistic approach, while making an expression with his squacks by using different areas of the string(s). I could be wrong.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:31 pm

don't forget the wah ;)

Return to Free for all...