New music is having solos again

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Rock N' Roll Rebel

New music is having solos again

Postby Jiver » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:40 pm

Listening to Avenged Sevenfold now, and am very impressed. If you haven't heard these guys, you won't be disappointed. Musicianship is impressive. Good songs, vocal harmony, guitar playing back to technique shredding, etc. System of a Down; their last 2 cds similiar. Lots of new acts and current acts are getting back into the "musicianship" aspect of it. Refreshing after so long of horrible, sloppy playing.

All Access Member

Re: New music is having solos again

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:41 am

Jiver wrote:Listening to Avenged Sevenfold now, and am very impressed. If you haven't heard these guys, you won't be disappointed. Musicianship is impressive. Good songs, vocal harmony, guitar playing back to technique shredding, etc. System of a Down; their last 2 cds similiar. Lots of new acts and current acts are getting back into the "musicianship" aspect of it. Refreshing after so long of horrible, sloppy playing.

I agree with you. It seems that some of the newer metal bands are getting back to somewhat of a traditional approach to their songwriting. Disturbed seems to do some solos in addition to some terrific harmonies throughout the new cd! Altar Bridge is a prime example of a "modern" band having a traditional approach. One Day Remains from Altar Bridge is one of the best modern hardrock band offerings that I've heard in years! It's great stuff! I hope they stay on course with their sophmore effort. In all fairness, Mark Tremonti grew up listening to heavy/thrash metal though, so that's probably one reason why he structures the music like he does.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Jiver » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:32 am

I agree with you. It seems that some of the newer metal bands are getting back to somewhat of a traditional approach to their songwriting. Disturbed seems to do some solos in addition to some terrific harmonies throughout the new cd! Altar Bridge is a prime example of a "modern" band having a traditional approach. One Day Remains from Altar Bridge is one of the best modern hardrock band offerings that I've heard in years! It's great stuff! I hope they stay on course with their sophmore effort. In all fairness, Mark Tremonti grew up listening to heavy/thrash metal though, so that's probably one reason why he structures the music like he does.

Yes, Poets, great rebuttal, and some other acts are noteworthy as well, it just escapes me at the moment. I live in the Pacific NW, near Canada, and pick up a local Vancouver BC station, more alt/ newer rock. Mostly, I listen to Digital Cable Stations, mostly the "Rock" music station that plays alot of newer acts. But alot of them have that "traditional approach" that you aptly put, and after the so called "alternative" movement from 91-00, glad to see things come full circle. Art imitating life, I guess. P.O.D. is another band that sounds great, especially their new single, "Goodbye for now". No solos, but the songwriting and vocal harmonies are great. System of a Down's new one, "Lonely Day" has a very interesting Guitar Solo. That dude can sure shred!! Maybe that's the point. These younger players have the technique, they just tend to pick their spots. Not shred on every tune like the previous genre. Audioslave, another one. Everyone knows Tom Morello is a great player, experimental, but he has chops as well!!! Listen to "Out of Exile" the track, and hear his chops. He's also using a Digitech Whammy to get some interesting FX sounds.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:12 pm

Well, something else that always bothered me hearing from the newer bands, especially those between 1990-2000 was the lack of punch from the drums! That drives me crazy! A prime example of the worst case is Lars' on St. Anger. It sounds like he's hitting trash cans!

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:44 pm

PoetsandMadmen wrote:A prime example of the worst case is Lars' on St. Anger. It sounds like he's hitting trash cans!

That's because Lars is trash :twisted:

Honestly, I think Metallica were loosing it when they were
running out of Mustaines riffs :roll:
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:47 pm

Yah seeings that Mustain is a way better guitarplayer and song writer them hammet of Hetfeild. as for larz he is such an overrated drummer. after the justice records I lost interest.
The artist formally known as Brawler

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:56 pm

If Avenge 7 fold and Creed are the best examples u can bring up when it comes to dishing out solos then modern music is STILL in bad shape. I say Creed because that is all Alter Bridge is with a Stapp clone and Mark Tremonti is about as boring a lead giutar player as there is. Ive seen live footage of Creed and Alter Creed :lol: and all he does is stands in one spot and bobs his little head up and down so he doesnt mess up his little GAP / Friends style haircut. And avenge 7 fold are just plain week and yea they may have solos but soloing just to solo isnt impressive at all when it doesnt even fit the song. And as far as S.O.D. and the O stands for OVERATED they just soun like a bunch of noise makers who are trying to be political and controversial but the problem is that most of their little teenage fans havent got a CLUE as to what the hell they are talking about and they couldnt tell you the first thing about the whole ARMENIAN thing. Anyway i meen no disrespect to anyone and remember this is my opinion and you know what they say about opinions and assholes. :wink:

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:17 am

MetalHead wrote:
PoetsandMadmen wrote:A prime example of the worst case is Lars' on St. Anger. It sounds like he's hitting trash cans!

That's because Lars is trash :twisted:

Honestly, I think Metallica were loosing it when they were
running out of Mustaines riffs :roll:

I think they have just lost the hunger for making music, for the love of making music, and worrying too much about lining their fkn pockets.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:09 am

harddriver wrote:If Avenge 7 fold and Creed are the best examples u can bring up when it comes to dishing out solos then modern music is STILL in bad shape.

WHAT? 8O Are you fucking serious? Creed? 7 fold? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! Where have you been for the last 10 years?

Madman, help me out here!

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:05 am

mrmetal wrote:
harddriver wrote:If Avenge 7 fold and Creed are the best examples u can bring up when it comes to dishing out solos then modern music is STILL in bad shape.

WHAT? 8O Are you fucking serious? Creed? 7 fold? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! Where have you been for the last 10 years?

Well, from the above posts I was referring strictly to U.S. mainstream/modern rock bands, so don't get me wrong here! :lol:

Now, with that said, if you're willing and open minded enough to travel overseas to Europe, modern music is a different ballgame so to speak!

I didn't want you to misunderstand me here Mr. Metal! :D By now, I hope you know where I stand with modern music and about what I mainly listen to.

With that said, I'm a Tremonti fan. Why? Well, mainly for the reasons I've said before. He seems to approach his music in a traditional sense with solos, vocals, etc.

I hope I'm making sense to everyone here.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:08 am

harddriver wrote:If Avenge 7 fold and Creed are the best examples u can bring up when it comes to dishing out solos then modern music is STILL in bad shape. I say Creed because that is all Alter Bridge is with a Stapp clone and Mark Tremonti is about as boring a lead giutar player as there is. Ive seen live footage of Creed and Alter Creed :lol: and all he does is stands in one spot and bobs his little head up and down so he doesnt mess up his little GAP / Friends style haircut. And avenge 7 fold are just plain week and yea they may have solos but soloing just to solo isnt impressive at all when it doesnt even fit the song. And as far as S.O.D. and the O stands for OVERATED they just soun like a bunch of noise makers who are trying to be political and controversial but the problem is that most of their little teenage fans havent got a CLUE as to what the hell they are talking about and they couldnt tell you the first thing about the whole ARMENIAN thing. Anyway i meen no disrespect to anyone and remember this is my opinion and you know what they say about opinions and assholes. :wink:

Honestly Harddriver, we're all family here, so don't feel like you have to hold back on your opinions! :lol: So, how do you really feel?

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:46 am

mrmetal wrote:

Quit swearing young man or an Army of Glam Metal guitarest lead by C.C. Deville will hunt you down and destroy you and all PROG/ POWER METAL :wink:

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:01 pm

harddriver wrote:
mrmetal wrote:

Quit swearing young man or an Army of Glam Metal guitarest lead by C.C. Deville will hunt you down and destroy you and all PROG/ POWER METAL :wink:

Shadows Fall is not Prog or Power metal. They have been around for several years and are very innovative with the solos they write.

Madman, you can't possibly mean that. Good metal is not just coming out of Europe. That is just not true. Stride is from my home town and you know they are good. We saw them last year in Atlanta.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:43 pm

mrmetal wrote:
harddriver wrote:
mrmetal wrote:

Shadows Fall is not Prog or Power metal. They have been around for several years and are very innovative with the solos they write.

Madman, you can't possibly mean that. Good metal is not just coming out of Europe. That is just not true. Stride is from my home town and you know they are good. We saw them last year in Atlanta.

Shadows Falls is a great band, minus the lead vocalist! I know that there's some great bands from here in the states, but dude you have to admit the majority of em' are from Europe!

Stride, well...IMO, they're a musician's band. I didn't get much from their set last year, sorry.

Circus Maximus was right up there on the priority list for me, and personally I thought they were great! Angra was another highlight for me.

You're a musician and I'm not, so you probably got alot more out of Stride than I did, that's all.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:09 pm

I agree with that take.

But what I don't agree with is that Creed and 7 fold are the best examples of solos in modern music - from either side of the Atlantic ocean.

The reason I like Stride is because they are cool dudes and a local band. Even if you don't care for them, you have to admit the musicianship in that band far surpasses the dickweeds in Creed.

Next

Return to Free for all...