New music is having solos again

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Re: New music is having solos again

Postby Shadow » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:43 pm

There's alot of fantastic musician*s both legendary & new up and coming Music Artists & Bands that I admire & taken to Heart: the new comers like Seemless ( I like them, alot! They have a heavy Blues/Metal sound mixed w/a Demolition groove) and their debut 2004 album/Cd has alot of potential (very difficult to find, too), heard some of it's samples & watch their Video, Wow! Trivium is another great talented new band with high potential promise as are PainMuseum, Edguy (if a movie ever comes out on the Scorpions, well these guys should play them! Their awesome & very talented.), Opeth and Pyramaze & quite a few others that names are really unusual are amazing heavy bands that have some mighty indepth Solo's & there's also this band called Dragonforce that heavily mentions their thundering Guitar Solo's in Ad's I've seen of them. Peace & great post thread!

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:47 pm

Avenged Sevenfold, I do believe I've heard some of their music mp3's samples and they have heavy Demolition Metal groove going there. Their pretty strong & they have a good groove vibe!

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:48 am

I never stoped puting solos on my tunes neither has Vai or Satch and every other guitarist who refuses to conform .
The artist formally known as Brawler

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:19 pm

mrmetal wrote:I agree with that take.

But what I don't agree with is that Creed and 7 fold are the best examples of solos in modern music - from either side of the Atlantic ocean.

The reason I like Stride is because they are cool dudes and a local band. Even if you don't care for them, you have to admit the musicianship in that band far surpasses the dickweeds in Creed.

Stride are great musicians for sure! From what I remember, my initial reaction to them was alot of technical prowess, but with minimal vocals. I'm a vocal guy, so I have have at least some singing. They do have a lead vocalist now, but if I remember correctly the band started out as a three piece, instrumental, prog band. I'm sure once they get back into the studio with a singer, then I'll have a whole new take on the band.

As for Creed, well I was actually referring to Altar Bridge. When I initially read this thread, I thought the poster was basically making a notice of modern mainstream bands adding solos into their music. I've noticed the same thing out of some of the radio bands lately as well. I made a reference to Disturbed and Altar Bridge as great examples of possibly waking up and having more of a traditional approach to their music. I in no way, form, or fashion am saying I think these guys from Creed, Altar Bridge, and Disturbed are the cream of the crop amongst modern musicians. I mainly was agreeing with the poster that, yes I have noticed more solos being played by some of these bands. Whew! I hope I've made sense.... :lol:

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:22 pm

stratattack wrote:I never stoped puting solos on my tunes neither has Vai or Satch and every other guitarist who refuses to conform .

So, let me get this straight. Are you putting your abilities in the same category as Vai and Satch? 8)

I know what you're saying....I'm just kidding. :)

I'm illustrating how easy it is to misunderstand people on these forums. It's hard to tell sometimes when you can't hear their tone or see their facial expressions, etc.

Anyway, nevermind.... 8O

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Jiver » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:49 pm

Stride are great musicians for sure! From what I remember, my initial reaction to them was alot of technical prowess, but with minimal vocals. I'm a vocal guy, so I have have at least some singing. They do have a lead vocalist now, but if I remember correctly the band started out as a three piece, instrumental, prog band. I'm sure once they get back into the studio with a singer, then I'll have a whole new take on the band.

As for Creed, well I was actually referring to Altar Bridge. When I initially read this thread, I thought the poster was basically making a notice of modern mainstream bands adding solos into their music. I've noticed the same thing out of some of the radio bands lately as well. I made a reference to Disturbed and Altar Bridge as great examples of possibly waking up and having more of a traditional approach to their music. I in no way, form, or fashion am saying I think these guys from Creed, Altar Bridge, and Disturbed are the cream of the crop amongst modern musicians. I mainly was agreeing with the poster that, yes I have noticed more solos being played by some of these bands. Whew! I hope I've made sense....

P&M:

OG Poster here. Amazing to see many replies to my og post. What I meant to convey by mine was that I was heartened to see SOME musical proficiency out there, and noted some examples. Of course, there are NUMEROUS bands out there, national and international, that are putting out some impressive work. Children of Bodom, do not know of their origins, but they are good. Whomever was bagging on POD, S.O.A.D., AV7, etc..maybe it's time to get into the present (BTW, 1987 called, and they want their eyeliner back!!)My original premise was that it is good to see songwriting of a somewhat higher quality coming around again, after the 90's baggage. Although I still do like Nirvana(strictly as a power/punk/pop group, nothing more), Pearl Jam (1st 2 cds). Soundgarden (interesting heavy riffing and time signatures), Alice in Chains (anything. Shoot, Jake LIKED them). Maybe it was good to have "hair metal" go by the wayside. Nothing lasts forever, just ask rockabilly and brit 60's rock. Although they've made some rounds....

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:38 am

Yikes! Someone slammed Hammet. grrrrrrrrrrrr

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:21 am

PoetsandMadmen wrote:
stratattack wrote:I never stoped puting solos on my tunes neither has Vai or Satch and every other guitarist who refuses to conform .

So, let me get this straight. Are you putting your abilities in the same category as Vai and Satch? 8)

I know what you're saying....I'm just kidding. :)

I'm illustrating how easy it is to misunderstand people on these forums. It's hard to tell sometimes when you can't hear their tone or see their facial expressions, etc.

Anyway, nevermind.... 8O

No but I know wher your commin from Bro ! I am more a stach fan then vai . vai uses the bar way too much but both have alot to offer but I am loyal to jake and sykes . :D and play twords their methods I am more bloozy and use my Vibrato I dont need no stinkin bar even though some of the real old school players use a Bigsby in good taste
The artist formally known as Brawler

Previous

Return to Free for all...