Hit Parader: All Time Top 100 Heavy Metal Guitarists

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Re: Hit Parader: All Time Top 100 Heavy Metal Guitarists

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:38 am

[quote="mrmetal"]Nirvana like it or not was one of the four or five bands that killed hair metal and brought in the grunge era. They also did alot for the sale of flannel shirts, regardless, they were an innovative band for their time and helped define music of the 90s. I happen to appreciate Nirvana and grunge in general from that time. So I have no problems with Kurt being on the list. He was a good songwriter.

See, I don't rank Nirvana as being innovative, because any halfway practiced garage band can get up on stage and do what they did, with the exception of the drumming of course. :-) Groul is a totally different matter.

Nirvana was a raw, unpolished in every form and fashion, rebellious, and dark rock band. All of that was very different from the cookie cutter arena rockers that we were all use to back then.

Innovative? Absolutely not.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:04 am

PoetsandMadmen wrote: See, I don't rank Nirvana as being innovative, because any halfway practiced garage band can get up on stage and do what they did, with the exception of the drumming of course. :-) Groul is a totally different matter.

Then why didn't they? :lol: There were copy cats trying to jump on the bandwagon. Have you no place in your heart for punk rock? :lol:

Also, Groul was absolutely influenced by Cobain, the songwriting style is almost the same in some aspects. You can't deny that.

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:23 am

whoops, damnit
Last edited by frethead on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:25 am

Here's a player that I guess everyone has written off. OK, I don't remember his real name, but if anyone does, do tell. Buck Dharma. I wonder if he made the "popular guitar players in pictures" magazine list.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:37 am

frethead wrote:Here's a player that I guess everyone has written off. OK, I don't remember his real name, but if anyone does, do tell. Buck Dharma. I wonder if he made the "popular guitar players in pictures" magazine list.

Brilliant guitarist. His playing on Specters was genius in motion. Buck, or Donald, whichever you prefer has been a inspiration for me. After hearing Cities on Flame and Blackblade, I knew I had to play guitar.

All Access Member

Postby Stargazer » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:08 am

WTF....Tom Morello and The Edge are ahead of Jake WTF Jake rips those guys and almost every other guitarist to shreds. The only guitarists that rival Jake IMO are Rhoads, Blackmore, Lynch, Malmsteen and Van Halen. Morello and The Edge suck IMO.

Previous

Return to Free for all...