Axel Rudi Pell

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Axel Rudi Pell

Postby harddriver » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:00 pm

Ok Ok now im hooked :D You got me poet and i wanna hear more :P How can i order some of their shit and which CD do you recomend.

Re: Axel Rudi Pell

Postby Fretman » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:07 pm

harddriver wrote:Ok Ok now im hooked :D You got me poet and i wanna hear more :P How can i order some of their shit and which CD do you recomend.

Haha! See....all you had to do was listen. You should check out Evergrey too. :twisted:

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:13 pm

harddriver wrote:Ok Ok now im hooked :D You got me poet and i wanna hear more :P How can i order some of their shit and which CD do you recomend.

Not to hijack your thread or anything, but Poet got me hooked, too! I went to eBay and got a double cd of ARP's called The Wizard's Chosen Few. I really like the vocalist, Johnny Gioeli (he and his brother were in Hardline and also a little known 80s band called Brunette).

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:45 pm

I just noticed this on his cd:

ARP's Official Site

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:10 pm

OMG i was wandering what happened to the Geolie brothers 8O And whats even crazier is i saw Hardline and Badlands in Chicago back in '90 and that was a good show. At the end of the night Jake and Neal shone came out together and both bands jammed a couple of Zepplin tunes 8O Man that was awesome. 8)

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:30 am

Neil Shon is a smokin guitar player I just wish he'd call steve perry and get rid of that Kenny G look a like
The artist formally known as Brawler

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:03 am

stratattack wrote:Neil Shon is a smokin guitar player I just wish he'd call steve perry and get rid of that Kenny G look a like

Steve Perry is the guy that ruined Journey. Neal got tired of all Perry's bullshit and found someone to replace his ass.

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:40 am

I had a Schon guitar. Crazy, little piece. The guy, however, can flat lay down some serious "cut you to the bone" licks!!! I don't know about Perry ruining Journey, Mrmetal, but my guess would be there was the ages old quandry between the hot-shot guitar player and the cutesy-bootsy singer which started-out as a competition for attention. Steve Perry had ( or has, possibly?) an excellent voice, and was a terrific singer.
Last edited by frethead on Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:41 am

harddriver wrote:OMG i was wandering what happened to the Geolie brothers 8O And whats even crazier is i saw Hardline and Badlands in Chicago back in '90 and that was a good show. At the end of the night Jake and Neal shone came out together and both bands jammed a couple of Zepplin tunes 8O Man that was awesome. 8)

Dang, I didn't realize the two toured together! 8O Anyway, you can buy most of their stuff at www.lasercd.com

The site is owned by a guy named Ken Golden, and he's a great guy to do business with. He mails quickly...basically, he's like clockwork!

You can order most, if not all of those bands I've suggested to you on that list from Ken's site.

Axel Rudi Pell has been around for years. Here's a little history that might surprise one or two of you. Both Jeff Scott Soto and Rob Rock have done albums with Axel. I'm not exactly sure which ones, so you'll have to email Ken to ask him.....he's a guru of music from overseas...trust me!

I'm glad you're diggin' it, but Axel is just the beginning of the talent you're missing out on when you don't give the progpower genre a good listen.

Can I get an amen from the choir? (Fretman, Mr. Metal, and Olaf) :lol:

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:47 am

Thanks, Poet. I'm going to look into that! I've only heard Jeff Scott Soto's singing with Yngimar, and I think he's got an awesome voice!

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:52 am

frethead wrote:Thanks, Poet. I'm going to look into that! I've only heard Jeff Scott Soto's singing with Yngimar, and I think he's got an awesome voice!

I agree with you regarding Jeff, but if you've never listened to Rob Rock then you're missing out as well.

Give Rob Rock's - Holy Hell CD a listen. He works with Roy Z, which is the same guy that Bruce Dickinson works with on some of his solo albums.

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:08 am

DAMN, I just checked-out that guy's website, and now I'm interested! Axel Rudi Pell, right? Got it. Excuse me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Queensryche be, like, considered a pioneer of the Progpower genre? I'm unfamiliar with the bands and even the genre title, but my heart is true. I'm becoming uncomfortable with that fruity word, now. You know the one.
Rock hard, Ride Free!

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:40 pm

PoetsandMadmen wrote: Can I get an amen from the choir? (Fretman, Mr. Metal, and Olaf) :lol:

No doubt brother! AMEN! Speak the truth!

frethead wrote:I had a Schon guitar. Crazy, little piece. The guy, however, can flat lay down some serious "cut you to the bone" licks!!! I don't know about Perry ruining Journey, Mrmetal, but my guess would be there was the ages old quandry between the hot-shot guitar player and the cutesy-bootsy singer which started-out as a competition for attention. Steve Perry had ( or has, possibly?) an excellent voice, and was a terrific singer.

Yes indeed, Steve P has some pipes and I would love to have a singer with that kind of voice. But, he took Journey down ballad lane. After the success of "Open Arms", Journey went into all ballad mode all the time....not a good idea when Neal Schon is your gunslinger. He basically took over the band, fired people at will and turned Journey into some weird adult contemporary top 40 band. On top of that he whined that "I never felt I was part of the group" on a VH1 Behind the Music documentary.

Whatever....

So when he had to have surgery, Neal jumped on that to kick his ass out and hired Steve Augeri. The guy is a great singer and probably isn't a pain in the ass to Neal. :lol:

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:46 pm

frethead wrote:Excuse me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Queensryche be, like, considered a pioneer of the Progpower genre?

You are absolutely correct. "Rage for Order" was way ahead of its time and still could be considered progressive metal today.

Progressive music is a large category really with a long history. Kansas, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Styx, Yes, etc....etc.....it's nothing new really. There are just new groups doing it in spite of what popular media is forcing down our throats.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:01 pm

mrmetal wrote:
frethead wrote:Excuse me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Queensryche be, like, considered a pioneer of the Progpower genre?

You are absolutely correct. "Rage for Order" was way ahead of its time and still could be considered progressive metal today.

Progressive music is a large category really with a long history. Kansas, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Styx, Yes, etc....etc.....it's nothing new really. There are just new groups doing it in spite of what popular media is forcing down our throats.

I totally agree with everything you've said. Rage For Order was definitely waaaaaayyyyy before it's time, no doubt!

Next

Return to Free for all...