Jake 1983

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Jake 1983

Postby pejale » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:15 pm

Check out www.angel.dk/ for a couple of black & white photos of Jake playing in Copenhagen, Denmark in January 1983.

Killer of Giants

Re: Jake 1983

Postby mrmetal » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:19 pm

Is that a photo of one of the notorious "Randy Lives" signs that Jake got bent about?

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:39 am

I still feel bad about that because when they came to boston I too had a Randy rhoads for ever sighn thats before realising how great jakes playing realy was but I was a goofy kid anyway .
I wouldn not have wanted to have been him that first year out man that had to suck thats like being compared to your girlfriend or boyfreinds EX . and we all know what thats like!
The artist formally known as Brawler

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:19 am

Daaaang!!! "The Devil welcomes you to Denmark." "Ozzy rules Hell." "Keep on smoking hash." And, all on the same sign!!! No wonder that guy in the foreground of the first picture is cross-eyed!!! O, my Gawd, I'm not going to be able to stop laughing for weeks, now!!!!!!!!1 I remember those supposed "Randy lives" signs, Metalhead, although I don't recall ever having seen one, and I don't see any in those pictures, either. Great pictures!

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Fri May 05, 2006 6:46 pm

grrrrrrrrrrr. If I had ever seen anyone with one of those signs ... well, let's just say the earth would be less populated by a few people. Yea, that's right, imabitch, mmhmmm. geez - I need sleep ....

All Access Member

Postby shaggz1972 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:47 pm

Hi Pejale,
Welcome to All things Jake,I am new here as well.

Thats a great link to some awesome photos.

Have Fun
Shaggz
Rockin On That Rumblin Train

Postby skezza » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:17 am

stratattack wrote:I still feel bad about that because when they came to boston I too had a Randy rhoads for ever sighn thats before realising how great jakes playing realy was but I was a goofy kid anyway .
I wouldn not have wanted to have been him that first year out man that had to suck thats like being compared to your girlfriend or boyfreinds EX . and we all know what thats like!

hey,
firstly, theres no guilt in wearing a t-shirt like that. I think all Jake fan respects Randy was an incredible guitarist and you cant take that away from anyone. I am not sure how Jake responded, but i think we should all give a thought to another two guys who had to do an even harder job. Firstly, a week after Randy died, Bernie Tormé stepped in and tried to do an impossible job having had only a week to learn all the guitar bits etc therefore struggled and the solos were done by keyboard often :(.

However, in my opinion, for the time they had left, ozzy got a great guitarist in Brad Gillis. I am not sure how many people in such a short space of time could learn all those guitar solos, and play them live. Brad was a top guitarist and a lot of my respect goes to him. I think Jake released an a good album which will have helped his reputation grow

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:47 am

skezza wrote:firstly, theres no guilt in wearing a t-shirt like that.

no it's not, but wearing it for the purpose of harming
someone in some way is.
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:08 am

skezza wrote:
stratattack wrote:I still feel bad about that because when they came to boston I too had a Randy rhoads for ever sighn thats before realising how great jakes playing realy was but I was a goofy kid anyway .

hey,
firstly, theres no guilt in wearing a t-shirt like that. I think all Jake fan respects Randy was an incredible guitarist and you cant take that away from anyone. I am not sure how Jake responded, but i think we should all give a thought to another two guys who had to do an even harder job. Firstly, a week after Randy died, Bernie Tormé stepped in and tried to do an impossible job having had only a week to learn all the guitar bits etc therefore struggled and the solos were done by keyboard often :(.

However, in my opinion, for the time they had left, ozzy got a great guitarist in Brad Gillis. I am not sure how many people in such a short space of time could learn all those guitar solos, and play them live. Brad was a top guitarist and a lot of my respect goes to him. I think Jake released an a good album which will have helped his reputation grow

True but when I saw how hard Jake was busting his ass to win over that many that and his kick ass tone and playing style he gain my respect and attention right then :twisted:
The artist formally known as Brawler

Postby maxasianmuscle » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:35 pm

Brethren,

Funny... 23 years after I witnessed the most memorable, lucid, memory of my metal youth -- Jake at the US festival, I still cannot believe how incredible that performance was for me. I was 14 and had the proper
herbal medication... to prepare me.

As soon as Ozzy got on stage... I was completely mesmerized by this Asian dude with a tone that differed from all the other guitarists that night. The sole reason for me to watch was to see and hear Randy's work -- although in the hands of a "replacement". GEEEEEZ... I don't know if it's because of the herb or because I'm Asian, but as soon as he got into the 1st solo on Mr. Crowley, I was completely blown away. The rawness, the intensity, I simply had no idea who this guy was. By the 2nd solo and outro to the song, I knew this guy was something like no other. His tone, the passion, the courage, and the way he moved made me feel like Randy owed this guy -- because the way he played Randy's material was like... at an ELEVATED LEVEL. He presented Randy's stuff like no other -- even to this day!!! As good as Zak is, place them both side by side, and I would hope that its obvious... Jake is at another level because he captivates the audience. ( When I recently bought one of Ozzy's recent DVD performances, it looked like Zak would just simply point his guitar neck straight up and play Randy's solos. Rock is best when its hard AND VISUAL -- thus, my point ... Jake is a bad man!!!

It saddens me that Jake has not come out of "hiding" because I believe that he can inspire so many people again... like he did with me 23 years ago. Although he may not be into the playing of his former self any longer, it would be nice to just see this guy come back out to see the many fans that he has.

For those of you who are old enough, there was a guitar extravaganza that took place in my youth to raise money for a sick Rocker ( Ronnie Lane? ARMS festival). Anyway, every old school guy played... from Eric Clapton to Jeff Beck. Anyway... the person that everyone was waiting for and tore down the roof was Jimmy Page. I believe Jake can do the same... he has been out of the spotlight too long.

Now that I'm 38 years old... I want my kids to see something great. It simply does not happen too often in ones life. I hope that they get to see something that they remember so fondly as I do about a "no name"
called Jake E Lee.

I hope that Jake can at least re-visit his roots for the fans and for himself. I would pay alot of money to see if he still has the fire and intensity of his younger self. It hurts to see Gary Moore and Vivian Campbell play like they never rocked hard before in their life. Rock needs this.... to make this Rock/Metal resurgence complete.

Thanks for reading. Obviously Jake made an impact on many... because I never would have thought that he would have a website like this dedicated to him.

Rock Hard!!! It keeps you young!!!

Postby maxasianmuscle » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:47 pm

Brethren,

As for Brad Gillis, I would agree that he is a great guitarist. He epitomizes the 80's with his style -- he was the master of the whammy bar. But I must say, that when I listened to Brad playing Randy's solos on my cell phone,
(my brother was doing a Jake/Brad comparison at his computer desk), it now sounds quite sacreligious...just bending the hell out of this and warbling the hell out of that -- kinda felt like he was butchering it. Funny... cuz back when Speak of the Devil was released my friends and I were amazed at his skills.

Jake presents it best by not overplaying or ripping apart the foundation of the solo. He just happens to add his soul, tone, and tasteful embellishment. Damn, he was bad back in the day... shame that I fully realize that now.... after seeing so many pretenders these many years.

Maxasianmuscle

Return to All things Jake E Lee...