Scalloping guitar necks

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Scalloping guitar necks

Postby johnthebrucelee » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:44 am

OKAY!!! I have a Fender Mex. Standard with maple fretboard and I want to scallop the neck... But I don't have any experience. I've found a website -click me- on how to scallop. I do have one guitar that's a cheap Strat copy to practice on first... Does anyone have experience here? What equipment do you need? :o

Thanks in advance.

Killer of Giants

Re: Scalloping guitar necks

Postby Moose6 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:53 am

I would buy one from Warmoth, that way if I don't like it I can put the original back on. I'd rather buy one then spend the time working on one... but that's just me.

Killer of Giants

Re: Scalloping guitar necks

Postby stratattack » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:47 am

I agree with moose .keep the original neck orininal!
The fender mex necks and bodies are from all parts so if oyu go on alparts.com you can get a scalloped neck but I recomend you go for the Warmoth or a USA Customs neck because tyhe Quality is way better and if oyu don't like the neck you still have youir stock one .

because scalloping is not an easy endevor .and when you scallop there is alot to consider and the life of a scalloped neck is shorter then that of a neck that is not scalloped. henc YJM has at least 8 back up necks because he is always on the road and has to change his necks at least once per year .

one of my strat (A 77 sun burst) had a scalloped neck and I went through 2 necks in a year so I went back to the orginal CBS neck.
but its all about choice. I like the way a scalloped neck feels they take some getting used to but they can be tricky you are always setting them .
so good luck .
The artist formally known as Brawler

Return to Free for all...