Jake E. Lee Replica guitars

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Re: Jake E. Lee Replica guitars

Postby jefnel1 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:25 am

Well guys, I wouldn't say building a replica is "easy" unless you're a professional guitar builder like GMW or RS. Finding the right quality parts is a daunting task. Then, you have to be sure all the parts fit together correctly for a quality instrument.

I've built 3 guitars from scratch and have modified several others extensively. I can tell you that Warmoth is very limited in customization unless you want to do the modifications yourself - which usually doesn't end up the way you wanted it. I don't have any experience with RS, but I would question the quality of the parts before I purchased anything. I've built 2 Warmoth guitars and have continually modified them during the period I owned them - mainly due to the fact that I was never satisfied with the quality. The 1 guitar I built that I've never had to mess with is the one I got from USA Customs. Their parts are second to none and they are well aware of Warmoth's limitations and the limitations of their other competitors. Proper planning is key before starting your project, and I must say that planning payed off with that guitar.

I don't agree with using a Squier Bullet as a starting point for a Jake replica, nor do I agree with buying parts off eBay and putting together a "mutt" guitar with a Jake paint job. If you are just looking to mock up a Jake replica to hang on your wall, that's fine, but if you are a player and want a quality instrument like the ones Jake played, you have your work cut out for you.
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:36 pm

I agree with Jeff about usa customs but not evryone can afford then they are high is the price area,
As for warmoth wow I have never had a problem with warmoth parts I have built ten or more guitars using warmoth parts and never had a problem at all. thats very wierd I am sorry to hear you had that many problems jeff. thats a first I have ever heard that usualy I hear that about Stuart McDonald.
The artist formally known as Brawler

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Bengal65 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:56 am

Try talking to Jim at Musikraft. They are very flexable and can make you just about anything you want. www.musikraft.com.

Postby Scott_Harrison » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:46 am

GMW guitars are pretty kewl looking.
Life is a fight, everyone gets knocked down... What matters is how fast you get up.

Plan your work & Work your plan.

Postby soga36 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:10 pm

can sombody post a link to see these guitars?

Postby Chuckracer » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:45 pm

Sorry for the late reply, but as Badseed said, I owned that guitar on the RS Guitarworks site, and it was a POS in the highest order. It looks great, and if you wanted a wall ornament, grab it. But as a playing guitar, forget it.

This had nothing to do with set up. He got the guitar back playing way better than when I got it. It's just crap wood; neck and body. Junk.

I won't go into the details of dealing with that chump. I eventually got my money back but it wasn't easy and required some help from a friend local to him.

Stay Away!!

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby BadSeed » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:18 am

Chuck!! What up?

Yeah, i remember how excited you were to score that guitar.If you say a guitar sucks, i know i can take your word on it.

Good news is coming as far as replica's go.More on that later:)

All Access Member

Postby Richard » Fri May 19, 2006 12:42 am

I have some bad news
That GMW stop making the Jake E Lee replica guitars & Warren Demartini replica guitars & The Steve Vai green Strat replica guitars etc.
But they are still making Custom guitars w/ choice of two different custom headstocks.
They will be updating there website soon.
From what I read its going to be cool. :( :x :? :cry

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Bengal65 » Fri May 19, 2006 7:25 am

Yea, those new GMW headstocks are hideous! :roll:

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Mon May 22, 2006 7:09 pm

Very nice cool Replica's Guitar designs taken from Jake E. Lee's, Randy Rhoads and Steve Vai Classic Guitars Instruments. I'm sure it's quite maddening putting an Guitar model together & find it fascinating that it can be done/so it's a surprise to me. As for the "luthier" (the Guitar Craft makers) - that's a very Science & math technical/detail job craftworks they do, very tough designing all those Guitars. Not a easy job at all!

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Tue May 23, 2006 7:11 am

Shadow wrote:Very nice cool Replica's Guitar designs taken from Jake E. Lee's, Randy Rhoads and Steve Vai Classic Guitars Instruments. I'm sure it's quite maddening putting an Guitar model together & find it fascinating that it can be done/so it's a surprise to me. As for the "luthier" (the Guitar Craft makers) - that's a very Science & math technical/detail job craftworks they do, very tough designing all those Guitars. Not a easy job at all!

It Is !!! when your trying to find the right parts even when certain parts are not made anymore>
The artist formally known as Brawler

Postby davinciary » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:26 pm

How much does one of those RS Guitarworks Jake strats cost?
Says The Reaper

All Access Member

Postby Richard » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:19 am

It is much cheaper order parts from Warmoth.
order the neck in your own spec & order the body strat universal rout w / hardtail string though body bridge, strat input jack & for pickguard go to Pickguardian custom pickguards .
When your finished it will cost around 1200.00

Postby Sixx_Van_Rose » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:34 pm

RS Guitar works uses a fender squire. They want $1200 for the Jake E Lee version. I had to laugh when I spoke to them. I can get better parts and still be under $1200.

All Access Member

Postby reborn » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:51 pm

I have been checking out different guitar makers like RS and GMW and most have been told to stop making the "Jake" or any other fender looking type. I think it’s more of a headstock design issue... Fender has been telling these smaller companies to cease and desist from building guitars in the fender vain… That’s fender for ya....want us to spend the crazy price to have a guitar built through their custom shop!!! Unless anybody here is rich or a known name...forget it!!!!! I understand someone here had a bad experience with RS. The guy who put the Jake replica together told me that this particular guitar was not put together to be a real "player", just built for the look of Jake's white strat. Not saying that the guy couldn’t have told you a different story!!! I am having a Jake built from ground up, not a squire customized to look like one. RS is doing it... I chose the wood and parts myself. Again there are always two sides to every story, but after numerous discussions with the guys at RS I have no reason to believe they will not build me a nice custom axe from scratch!!! However if they are full of crap, I will send guitar back and get my cash and go elsewhere. Who from RS told you they build Jake strats from a squire? Actually, my Jake will be the last custom built for awhile because of the fender issue, and they want to promote their own “stepside” series. Guitars with traditional shapes, but different headstocks and enough other differences that fender will leave them alone. I don’t know all the laws with licenses, but some makers can still make traditional “strats” because they pay fender for the privilege of maintaining certain looks or designs. I don’t know…you hear good and bad about every guitar maker. RS has good reviews with their own hand built guitars…from what I read on Harmony Central, so that’s why I went with them. Also wanted to say it is very nice to have this site and forum where we can all get together to discuss everything about Jake!!!!!! :D :D :D

PreviousNext

Return to All things Jake E Lee...