Def Leppard and Jouney touring this summer

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Re: Def Leppard and Jouney touring this summer

Postby harddriver » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:46 pm

PoetsandMadmen wrote:
harddriver wrote:Actually i dont think i meant it would be weird but the reason i would be scared to go to the concert is because after the show i know i wont be able to talk for a few days. I know after the Def leppard and Tesla show this summer my vocal cords were shot for about a week. :D

Did you mean that DL toured with Tesla last summer or are they going out on the road with them this summer?

Regardless, I bet it was a good show to see them in one setting!
Tesla opened for Def leppard on a few select dates last summer one of which i was very fortunate to have attended. It was one hell of a show and it brought back memories of the good ol days when arena rock was king.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:49 am

harddriver wrote:
PoetsandMadmen wrote:
harddriver wrote:Actually i dont think i meant it would be weird but the reason i would be scared to go to the concert is because after the show i know i wont be able to talk for a few days. I know after the Def leppard and Tesla show this summer my vocal cords were shot for about a week. :D

Did you mean that DL toured with Tesla last summer or are they going out on the road with them this summer?

Regardless, I bet it was a good show to see them in one setting!
Tesla opened for Def leppard on a few select dates last summer one of which i was very fortunate to have attended. It was one hell of a show and it brought back memories of the good ol days when arena rock was king.

Wow! I didn't know that. You're lucky to see that for sure!

Ultimate Sinner

Postby excitable87 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:35 am

I had to bump this cause Def Leppard is my all time favorite band (although their music of late has been a little weak), but what's up with Journey? Do they have new music coming out? I know Perry is no longer with the band, but I didn't know if they just play the hits or what.

Regardless, this should be a good show, and I hope the prices won't be as steep as I've read about. Phil Collen is one hell of a guitar player and I don't think he gets the recognition he deserves (and yes, Viv is good too, had to put that in for Poets :lol: ).

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:53 am

excitable87 wrote:I had to bump this cause Def Leppard is my all time favorite band (although their music of late has been a little weak), but what's up with Journey? Do they have new music coming out? I know Perry is no longer with the band, but I didn't know if they just play the hits or what.

Regardless, this should be a good show, and I hope the prices won't be as steep as I've read about. Phil Collen is one hell of a guitar player and I don't think he gets the recognition he deserves (and yes, Viv is good too, had to put that in for Poets :lol: ).

Vivian Campbell kicks butt, period! If Holy Diver and Riverdogs s/t was the only two things he played on, they would've been enough to convince me of that for sure! :D

Journey has a new vocalist named Steve Agulari (spelling is probably wrong). Anyway, he's very good and has a Perry-esque voice. Journey's new disc, Generations, is very good and Arrival is as well. Both are must haves if you're a Journey fan. Actually, I'd be going for Journey as much as I would be for Lep! IMO, this is a fantastic bill for sure.

I agree with you're comments about Lep's current tunes being on the weak side! Their back cataloge is what carries them anyways.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby excitable87 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:11 pm

I agree with you're comments about Lep's current tunes being on the weak side! Their back cataloge is what carries them anyways.[/quote]

DEF LEPPARD REDIES COVERS SET, SUMMER TREK:

April 6, 2006

CLEVELAND (Billboard) - Def Leppard's upcoming covers album, "Yeah!," due in stores May 23, originally was scheduled to be out last fall. But the group delayed its release to keep it from falling into obscurity, according to frontman Joe Elliott.

"We wanted to put it out, tour (to support) it and make it a legitimate record rather than just some throwaway thing," Elliott told Billboard.com. "And we were kind of happy with the way it turned out. Essentially a covers album is supposed to be about fun. It's revisiting your youth and showing the world where your true roots are. It shouldn't be a labor of love."

While the concept was discussed for more than a decade, Elliott said it wasn't until 2004 -- a rare year when Def Leppard didn't tour -- that the outfit recorded the project at its leisure. "Yeah!" features material from the Kinks ("Waterloo Sunset"), Badfinger ("No Matter What"), T. Rex ("20th Century Boy"), David Bowie ("Drive-In Saturday"), Sweet ("Hell Raiser"), Mott the Hoople ("The Golden Age of Rock & Roll") and Thin Lizzy ("Don't Believe a Word"), among others.

Def Leppard originally intended to release "Yeah!" as a Dual Disc but instead opted to make the planned DVD component, "Bootleg Backstage," a separate release later in the year. The DVD will feature three live tracks ("Action," "Rock On," "No Matter What") and 20 minutes of interview footage.

It will be a classic rock summer for Def Leppard, which has tapped Journey as the opener for a 34-date coast-to-coast run that begins June 23 in Camden, N.J. After the band hit the road in 2005 with Bryan Adams, this marks the second year in a row that Elliott and company have teamed up with an established act that may be outside of its perceived genre. But Elliott doesn't see it that way.

"To me, we were always a lot more pop than heavy metal," Elliott said. "It's been extremely hard to get that point across to people. So the thing is, we could work both ways. We could tour with Journey or Bryan Adams and we could tour with the Scorpions too." In concert, fans should expect a handful of "Yeah!" tracks, as well as perhaps a gem or two from the back catalog.

Even though Def Leppard has sold more than 65 million albums worldwide and recently celebrated its 28th year together, Elliott isn't holding his breath for a phone call from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum.

"I highly doubt it," he said with a laugh. "I don't see a lot of the tuxedo-wearing panel being big Def Leppard fans, to be quite honest, so I wouldn't expect it."

Courtesy of www.billboard.com

This sucks, I finally get to see them and they're doing cover songs.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:51 am

Oh, I'm sure they'll play their older stuff too. It'd be cool if they'd play alot of stuff from On Through The Night and High N Dry!

I'm a little confused though, isn't Retroactive essentially a covers album too?

I would never classify Def Leppard as "heavy metal". Hard rock, but never heavy metal. I'm sure that there are people out there that think they're the heaviest band that's ever hit the planet though! :-)

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:21 am

excitable87 wrote:I agree with you're comments about Lep's current tunes being on the weak side! Their back cataloge is what carries them anyways.

DEF LEPPARD REDIES COVERS SET, SUMMER TREK:

April 6, 2006

CLEVELAND (Billboard) - Def Leppard's upcoming covers album, "Yeah!," due in stores May 23, originally was scheduled to be out last fall. But the group delayed its release to keep it from falling into obscurity, according to frontman Joe Elliott.

"We wanted to put it out, tour (to support) it and make it a legitimate record rather than just some throwaway thing," Elliott told Billboard.com. "And we were kind of happy with the way it turned out. Essentially a covers album is supposed to be about fun. It's revisiting your youth and showing the world where your true roots are. It shouldn't be a labor of love."

While the concept was discussed for more than a decade, Elliott said it wasn't until 2004 -- a rare year when Def Leppard didn't tour -- that the outfit recorded the project at its leisure. "Yeah!" features material from the Kinks ("Waterloo Sunset"), Badfinger ("No Matter What"), T. Rex ("20th Century Boy"), David Bowie ("Drive-In Saturday"), Sweet ("Hell Raiser"), Mott the Hoople ("The Golden Age of Rock & Roll") and Thin Lizzy ("Don't Believe a Word"), among others.

Def Leppard originally intended to release "Yeah!" as a Dual Disc but instead opted to make the planned DVD component, "Bootleg Backstage," a separate release later in the year. The DVD will feature three live tracks ("Action," "Rock On," "No Matter What") and 20 minutes of interview footage.

It will be a classic rock summer for Def Leppard, which has tapped Journey as the opener for a 34-date coast-to-coast run that begins June 23 in Camden, N.J. After the band hit the road in 2005 with Bryan Adams, this marks the second year in a row that Elliott and company have teamed up with an established act that may be outside of its perceived genre. But Elliott doesn't see it that way.

"To me, we were always a lot more pop than heavy metal," Elliott said. "It's been extremely hard to get that point across to people. So the thing is, we could work both ways. We could tour with Journey or Bryan Adams and we could tour with the Scorpions too." In concert, fans should expect a handful of "Yeah!" tracks, as well as perhaps a gem or two from the back catalog.

Even though Def Leppard has sold more than 65 million albums worldwide and recently celebrated its 28th year together, Elliott isn't holding his breath for a phone call from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum.

"I highly doubt it," he said with a laugh. "I don't see a lot of the tuxedo-wearing panel being big Def Leppard fans, to be quite honest, so I wouldn't expect it."

Courtesy of www.billboard.com

This sucks, I finally get to see them and they're doing cover songs.[/quote]Oh dont worry exiteable i would almost gaurantee that they will focus on their hits and maybe a cover or 2 just to push the new album. I saw them last summer with Tesla and they only played 1 or 2 songs that wasnt on their hits package. These guys are smart enough to know what the fans want to hear and im sure you wont be disapointed. All you have to do is go to their official web site and go to the message boards and the fans give you a review of previous shows so you kinda know what they are gonna be playing.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby excitable87 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:27 pm

PoetsandMadmen wrote:Oh, I'm sure they'll play their older stuff too. It'd be cool if they'd play alot of stuff from On Through The Night and High N Dry!

I'm a little confused though, isn't Retroactive essentially a covers album too?

I would never classify Def Leppard as "heavy metal". Hard rock, but never heavy metal. I'm sure that there are people out there that think they're the heaviest band that's ever hit the planet though! :-)

Retroactive has a couple of cover songs but it's mainly B-side songs that never made the albums.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby excitable87 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:29 pm

Oh dont worry exiteable i would almost gaurantee that they will focus on their hits and maybe a cover or 2 just to push the new album. I saw them last summer with Tesla and they only played 1 or 2 songs that wasnt on their hits package. These guys are smart enough to know what the fans want to hear and im sure you wont be disapointed. All you have to do is go to their official web site and go to the message boards and the fans give you a review of previous shows so you kinda know what they are gonna be playing.[/quote]

Yeah, but I'm just going by what Joe said. If they don't play Pour Some Sugar On Me there'll be a riot.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:09 pm

Anyone know how much tickets are? I thought $20 was too expensive to see Def Leppard way back in the day.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:29 pm

mrmetal wrote:Anyone know how much tickets are? I thought $20 was too expensive to see Def Leppard way back in the day.

Try $50 to $75 in Nashville! Absolutley rediculous!

Ultimate Sinner

Postby excitable87 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:06 pm

A friend of mine said the Poison tix were $45 so I'm assuming they'll be around the same price, I got the $75 from looking at Ticketmaster's site for other cities, so who knows.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:25 pm

excitable87 wrote:A friend of mine said the Poison tix were $45 so I'm assuming they'll be around the same price, I got the $75 from looking at Ticketmaster's site for other cities, so who knows.

Apparentely, someone is buying them for those bands to keep charging those prices. I paid $35.00 to see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra last November, but it was worth it, IMO. Poison? Ahhhh....no!

I think Motley Crue tix were out of this world too, on their last money laundering, reunion, fiasco through the states!

Ultimate Sinner

Postby excitable87 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:28 pm

These bands like the Crue are just trying to make as much money as possible before going to the retirement home lol. If they would only cost around $25 to $30 I bet they woulud have so many more people come it would be pathetic. As it is the Crue and everyone else are having good turnouts, the Def Lep show in Atl sold out pretty fast.

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:24 pm

Cool. So, I'm, like, not the only guy to fxxxing love this band in the world!!! Dude, man! Aww, shit.

PreviousNext

Return to Free for all...