alice or ozzy

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Re: alice or ozzy

Postby crisguitar » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:00 am

Doobie wrote:cris, who's bitching? we're discussing ... huge difference.

woh!! ok

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Thajan » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:04 am

crisguitar wrote:so ur thoughts on alice cooper and ozzy, any news or views, fav songs, guitarists...etc
and who do u guys think is most evil?

To me this is easier than 1+1:

ALICE COOPER! 8)

Killer of Giants

Postby crisguitar » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:25 am

Thajan wrote:
crisguitar wrote:so ur thoughts on alice cooper and ozzy, any news or views, fav songs, guitarists...etc

ALICE COOPER! 8)

reasons...songs? guitarists?

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Thajan » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:40 am

crisguitar wrote:
Thajan wrote:

ALICE COOPER! 8)

Songs, I don't really care for guitarists in a band when the songs suck. With Jake I had that I liked the guitarist and the band. With Alice I like the look, the additude, the show and most of all the songs!

I very much like his latest release "Dirty Diamonds" it sounds like classic Cooper to me.

Both Ozzy and Alice have similarities: They both shocked the world (one way or another), both had they're prime in the 70's and a huge comeback in the 80's, Both worked with excelent musicians, both don't really have a singing voice but use their songs to create a extra emotion (allthough that emotion with Ozzy is usually (happy)craziness while Alice uses this haunting craziness), both made and make alot of money, both were on booze for a very long time, both made just as much bad albums as good albums and both very good showmen.

But I still like Alice Cooper more, his ambition for music and theatre hasn't died and still performs a good show even without the whole mascerade. And Ozzy IMHO has become a sellout while Alice has returned more to his roots the last few years. The shows are also better now than they used to be, cause back in the day Alice was barely sober onstage. Nowadays he is clean and has a very tight live act and live band ( the DVD Brutally Live is a testimony of that).

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:16 pm

Thajan wrote:
crisguitar wrote:
Thajan wrote:

ALICE COOPER! 8)

Songs, I don't really care for guitarists in a band when the songs suck. With Jake I had that I liked the guitarist and the band. With Alice I like the look, the additude, the show and most of all the songs!

I very much like his latest release "Dirty Diamonds" it sounds like classic Cooper to me.

Both Ozzy and Alice have similarities: They both shocked the world (one way or another), both had they're prime in the 70's and a huge comeback in the 80's, Both worked with excelent musicians, both don't really have a singing voice but use their songs to create a extra emotion (allthough that emotion with Ozzy is usually (happy)craziness while Alice uses this haunting craziness), both made and make alot of money, both were on booze for a very long time, both made just as much bad albums as good albums and both very good showmen.

But I still like Alice Cooper more, his ambition for music and theatre hasn't died and still performs a good show even without the whole mascerade. And Ozzy IMHO has become a sellout while Alice has returned more to his roots the last few years. The shows are also better now than they used to be, cause back in the day Alice was barely sober onstage. Nowadays he is clean and has a very tight live act and live band ( the DVD Brutally Live is a testimony of that).

Thajan, you've almost made me want to give Alice a shot again! :lol: I like Alice because he's Alice, but I can't say that I've ever been a fan of his music. Honestly, I'm very unfamiliar with his music, because I chose not to listen to him in the 80s. I wouldn't mind checking out that DVD sometime though.

As for Ozzy, he's always surrounded himself with excellent guitarist like Malmsteen has always worked with stellar vocalists.

Killer of Giants

Postby crisguitar » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:40 pm

thajan..tears in eyes dude!...i agree with u there!
i added this post because i couldnt make my mind up and i needed to weigh up the pro's an cons! lol

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:21 pm

Evil??? I'll give you evil. REM. LOLOL O, my-LOL Yeah, what do you think of that?! Ozzy and Nanc . . . ( sorry) Alice only wish they could top the dark, twisted evil which these Georgia crackers have to dish out.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Thajan » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:27 am

frethead wrote:Evil??? I'll give you evil. REM. LOLOL O, my-LOL Yeah, what do you think of that?! Ozzy and Nanc . . . ( sorry) Alice only wish they could top the dark, twisted evil which these Georgia crackers have to dish out.

Alice Cooper is not about evilness, he is about being twisted and being haunted. Sure he maybe doesn't look or sound twisted or hunting anymore, but like I said his prime was in the 70's. Music has evolved enormously since then, but alice cooper did inspire allot of bands like: Mercyfull Fate (and obviously King Diamond), Twisted Sister, WASP and other 80's band who wore outrages costumes and and shows with a huge shocking value.
Black Sabbath isn't really Heavy Metal anymore but is often considered as heavy metal band No. 1!

And honestly, can it get more "Shock" rock than this:

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:25 am

Thajan wrote: Black Sabbath isn't really Heavy Metal anymore but is often considered as heavy metal band No. 1!

Huh? Black Sabbath invented heavy metal. That is why they are considered the no. 1 heavy metal band. The last time I heard Sabbath, it sounded heavy metal to me.

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:43 am

For the record, I actually enjoy Alice Cooper's voice and music, whereas listening to Ozzy's voice gives me visions of things I'd rather not repeat. I've never seen Alice in concert, unfortunately.

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:23 pm

frethead wrote:For the record, I actually enjoy Alice Cooper's voice and music, whereas listening to Ozzy's voice gives me visions of things I'd rather not repeat. I've never seen Alice in concert, unfortunately.

That is unfortunate! Alice strings all the songs in his set together and performs them as "story"...kind of like a play of sorts, using the props he's so famous for i.e. guillotine, electric chair, etc., etc. Probably one of the best rock "shows" I've ever seen (and not "gay" like some I wont mention....Meatloaf! lol!!!). If you ever get the chance to see Alice, even if you're not a real big fan, by all means go! you won't regret it. :)

"Cadaver eyes upon me see..........Nothing". :D

I Love the Dead..........Alice Cooper.
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Thajan » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:30 am

mrmetal wrote:
Thajan wrote: Black Sabbath isn't really Heavy Metal anymore but is often considered as heavy metal band No. 1!

Huh? Black Sabbath invented heavy metal. That is why they are considered the no. 1 heavy metal band. The last time I heard Sabbath, it sounded heavy metal to me.

Sorry should have said: "Black Sabbath isn't really Heavy Metal by today's standards anymore....."

But my point was that without influences like Alice Cooper shock-rock like there was in the 80's like WASP and the more creepy (and more "Welcome to my nightmare"like) King Diamond. Same goes for Ozzy with Sabbath and Heavy Metal

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Thajan » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:31 am

mrmetal wrote:

Sorry should have said: "Black Sabbath isn't really Heavy Metal by today's standards anymore....."

But my point was that without influences like Alice Cooper shock-rock like there was in the 80's like WASP and the more creepy (and more "Welcome to my nightmare"like) King Diamond. Same goes for Ozzy with Sabbath and Heavy Metal

Ultimate Sinner

Postby excitable87 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:15 pm

No doubt, without Alice there's be no WASP, Diamond, or even Marilyn Manson, or Trixter... wait, never mind.

I have tons of respect for Alice, but as far as number of songs I like, I'd probably have to go with Oz. Welcome To My Nightmare was a strange video though.

Previous

Return to Free for all...