Rack sysytems?

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Rack sysytems?

Postby crisguitar » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:00 am

now i call my self a guitarist..but iv only ever known amp through fx pedals makes great tone..recently i have started to want a rack system..although i have no idea how they work? could someone please fill me in!!!

Killer of Giants

Re: Rack sysytems?

Postby mrmetal » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:16 am

My Mesa/Boogie set up is a rack system, but it doesn't have effects. Not even reverb. Just tube amplification. I was using a multi-processor effect system from Digitech and have started to go back to using the pedals. That is because I wanted an easier set up to deal with, and the noise gate on Digitechs, or at least the one I had (RP-7 and Twin Tube Pre), was terrible. I really don't need an array of sounds. I just need a good clean and a good distortion. If I was in a cover band and trying to sound like other bands, I would need a multi-effect system. If I ever go back to a rack system, I will use a TC Electronics G-Force or something similar.

If you go to a rack, make sure you get a good one because some of those units really kill the amp's natural tone. I would also avoid those with a preamp and the effects. I have heard good things about Rocktron's pre/efffects combo rack, but I haven't personally heard one, or tried one.

The amp modeling devices are not good either in my opinion. They are great for computer recording but to play with a band, they suck. I have tried them all; POD, Johnson, VOX, whatever. They have no headroom and sound scratchy and like digital trash at high volumes. I had problems getting loud enough without sounding horrible. So back to tube amps it was for me.

Did any of that help? :D

Killer of Giants

Postby crisguitar » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:26 am

yeh...it explaned how ther set up up but like i also wunu no how they work..does it all run into ur original amp or just into cabs?..why are there so many different racks in a rack system and how r they used? those kinda things..cheers 4 the info tho dude much apreciated!!!

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:42 am

BLASPHEMY!!! LOL!! :D

I occasionally use a rack reverb and compressor. mrmetal's right rack effects mask your amp. If youv'e got a great sounding amp, stick to analog pedals!

Disclaimer: Digital effects users please don't get angry......It's just my own opinion.
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:24 am

My impression always has been that TC Electronics pretty much sets the standard; although, by the same token . . . Roland/ BOSS has so much to offer they "must" set the average. And, there are other manufacturers that make hearty and great sounding equipment. I think it really depends on what your ears (and/or heart) tell you after you plug and play. Further still, pedals are easier to transport in one opinion, and easier to connect and set up in another. So, there you go; it esentially boils down to what your ears/ heart, and back/knees tell you. I'll leave the subject concerning the size of your wallet for another think tank.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:27 am

crisguitar wrote:yeh...it explaned how ther set up up but like i also wunu no how they work..does it all run into ur original amp or just into cabs?..why are there so many different racks in a rack system and how r they used? those kinda things..cheers 4 the info tho dude much apreciated!!!

It depends. Typically, I would try to run the effects loop if there is one available. Delay does not sound good in front of a preamp circuit in my humble opinion. I use two pedals currently with a wah like this, Wah > MT-2 > Noise Gate. I then run a DD-3 between the preamp and the power amp. I tried the effects loop for the delay and didn't like it, even with the cool mix function. So I hooked it up in stereo like this Preamp> DD-3 > Power amp > 2 4/12 cabs, and there it was.....sweet!

Simple set up, but sounds great and heavy.

I agree with Dean on analog pedals, I just don't have any. My pedals were modded by Humphrey Audio so they are not stock Boss pedals and sound a little more analog than digital.

Dean, do any of your analog distortions reach the level of a triple rectifier distortion? I may like to try one. I just don't need a hard rock/classic rock/Texas-blues type distortion. I can get that from the Mesa.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:30 am

frethead wrote:My impression always has been that TC Electronics pretty much sets the standard;

I think the G-Force sounds great. I just can't afford one right now. Hell, even the pedals they have are expensive.

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:51 am

mrmetal wrote:
frethead wrote:My impression always has been that TC Electronics pretty much sets the standard;

I think the G-Force sounds great. I just can't afford one right now. Hell, even the pedals they have are expensive.
Nope. Not yet anyway. Maybe later on tho'. :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:53 am

Sorry, I quoted the wrong message....I was responding to the triple rec. question.
www.cats-eyeesp.com

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:53 am

Deansolo wrote:
mrmetal wrote:

Nope. Not yet anyway. Maybe later on tho'. :)

Cat's Eye proudly presents the Metalhead pedal ;)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:23 pm

MetalHead wrote:Cat's Eye proudly presents the Metalhead pedal ;)

I don't know man, The Mr. Metal pedal definately has a nice ring to it! :wink: :lol:

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:32 pm

mrmetal wrote:
MetalHead wrote:Cat's Eye proudly presents the Metalhead pedal ;)

I don't know man, The Mr. Metal pedal definately has a nice ring to it! :wink: :lol:

or the best of 2 worlds ... the METAL pedal :twisted:

;)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

All Access Member

Postby jimiforrest » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:19 pm

I'm just catching up on this thread. For recording...I use rack gear...my trusty ol' ADA MP-1 pre-amp though an ADA MicroCab speaker emulator. No effects. They are added later.

Now my live setup (don't laugh) is just as simple. Guitar, Wah, Boss DS-1 into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp. The DS-1 is used mostly to round out solos and an occassional tone adjustment on rhythm for certain songs.

After years of toting around stacks of speaker cabinets and big racks...I went back to the basics. For clubs...this is perfect. Big sound and more stage space. I've never been one to use effects onstage as they always alter the sound too much before going into the PA. There is also the little element of players becoming too dependent on FX for their sound. Let's face it...every room is different and you can spend countless minutes or hours trying to chase your tone live when you add effects early in the signal chain.

Just my two cents.

Jimi

All Access Member

Postby jimiforrest » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:28 pm

I'm just catching up on this thread. For recording...I use rack gear...my trusty ol' ADA MP-1 pre-amp though an ADA MicroCab speaker emulator. No effects. They are added later.

Now my live setup (don't laugh) is just as simple. Guitar, Wah, Boss DS-1 into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp. The DS-1 is used mostly to round out solos and an occassional tone adjustment on rhythm for certain songs.

After years of toting around stacks of speaker cabinets and big racks...I went back to the basics. For clubs...this is perfect. Big sound and more stage space. I've never been one to use effects onstage as they always alter the sound too much before going into the PA. There is also the little element of players becoming too dependent on FX for their sound. Let's face it...every room is different and you can spend countless minutes or hours trying to chase your tone live when you add effects early in the signal chain.

Just my two cents.

Jimi

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:25 pm

No laughing here!

I totally agree...I ditched (well, not really ditched but stored away) the rack stuff and went back to basics about 12 or so years ago. Bought a nice versatile tube combo, and dug out my vintage pedals. Nowadays, for the ocassional gig it's just guitar, fuzz, amp and sometimes an SAD-1 for a bit of delay. I like to get my "core" sound from just the amp and guitar then add some fuzz to it. :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com

Return to Free for all...