Iommi vs Page

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Iommi vs Page

Postby mrmetal » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:52 pm

frethead wrote:You're right. I admit I was a little hard on the Beave.


This could go over in the pink thread. :twisted:

Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 884
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: England

Re: Iommi vs Page

Postby skezza » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:39 am

Iommi wrote some great riffs but im afraid Page cuts the butter for me!

Rock N' Roll Rebel
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:00 pm

Re: Iommi vs Page

Postby Thajan » Wed May 03, 2006 8:25 am

I'll try to compare them as fair as possible so I'll just compare them in every aspect.

Songwise:
Page and Iommi have written allot of classic riffs in the 70's. But Page almost stopped playing after the break up of Led Zep and Iommi went on. So songwise I'll concentrate on the 1970-1978 period (1970= first BS album and 1978= last LZ album) And considering that period they are tied. Just as good in my opinion.

Live:
They both had a good energetic live performance. Page obviously moved allot but was often very sloppy. Tony on the other hand moved a bit less but was like a MACHINE live. And IMHO Tony doesn't have to move much cause he looks like a sort of master while playing. I don't really know how to discribe it but he doesn't move all that much to get his point accross.
Iommi wins this round by just a slight bit.

Technique:
Not much to say about this. They aren't both very technical palyers but they DO have a UNIQUE style that works perfectly for them. It's a tied again.

Age v.s chops:
Wouldn't usually mention this a a category but I have to say this because of the fact that Jimmy Page hasn't got as much chops as he used to. The hardcore drinking and drugs-doing after Bonham death ruined Page's chops. He got a little bit better over the years but still isn't as good as in his hey-day. Iommi has improved some bit since the first Black Sabbath album but not much and stayed pretty much the same during the 80's/90's. Now, he can still rip out those riffs and solo's like it's nothing. I think it's clear who wins this round: Iommi!

So this is my few about this "match" and I tried to be as fair as possible since I am a Iommi fan. So my favorite is Tony Iommi. :D

All Access Member
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: New York

Re: Iommi vs Page

Postby Stargazer » Wed May 03, 2006 9:51 am

Iommi! Page was just far too sloppy IMO and I think Iommi wrote better riffs. I also thought Iommi improved a lot technically from the first Sabbath album to Dehumanizer.

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Iommi vs Page

Postby mrmetal » Wed May 03, 2006 1:17 pm

Stargazer wrote:Iommi! Page was just far too sloppy IMO and I think Iommi wrote better riffs. I also thought Iommi improved a lot technically from the first Sabbath album to Dehumanizer.


There are some standout leads on Tyr as well. :wink:

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 1972
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Gray, TN

Re: Iommi vs Page

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Thu May 04, 2006 5:40 am

mrmetal wrote:
Stargazer wrote:Iommi! Page was just far too sloppy IMO and I think Iommi wrote better riffs. I also thought Iommi improved a lot technically from the first Sabbath album to Dehumanizer.


There are some standout leads on Tyr as well. :wink:


The Tony Martin era was a great era for Sabbath regardless of what Ozzy hardcores think/say, IMO. The Eternal Idol is one of my favorites from the 80s, but it's a shame that we didn't get a finished product with Ray Gillen on lead vox.

Moderator
Posts: 732
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: League City, TX

Re: Iommi vs Page

Postby Fretman » Thu May 04, 2006 6:35 am

PoetsandMadmen wrote:
mrmetal wrote:
Stargazer wrote:Iommi! Page was just far too sloppy IMO and I think Iommi wrote better riffs. I also thought Iommi improved a lot technically from the first Sabbath album to Dehumanizer.


There are some standout leads on Tyr as well. :wink:


The Tony Martin era was a great era for Sabbath regardless of what Ozzy hardcores think/say, IMO. The Eternal Idol is one of my favorites from the 80s, but it's a shame that we didn't get a finished product with Ray Gillen on lead vox.


True...but the demos were still damn good.

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Iommi vs Page

Postby mrmetal » Thu May 04, 2006 8:51 am

You know, I love Ray Gillen as a singer and all. But there was a reason Iommi canned him. It just wasn't going to work. Tony Martin is an excellent vocalist.

All Access Member
Posts: 716
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: springfield il

Re: Iommi vs Page

Postby harddriver » Thu May 04, 2006 12:29 pm

mrmetal wrote:You know, I love Ray Gillen as a singer and all. But there was a reason Iommi canned him. It just wasn't going to work. Tony Martin is an excellent vocalist.
Iomi didnt can Gillen at all. Ray and Eric Singer left right before the album was to be finished. Not calling you a liar Mrmetal im just quoting what ive seen on the Sabbath documentary DVDs and read in several publications.

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Iommi vs Page

Postby mrmetal » Thu May 04, 2006 12:51 pm

harddriver wrote:
mrmetal wrote:You know, I love Ray Gillen as a singer and all. But there was a reason Iommi canned him. It just wasn't going to work. Tony Martin is an excellent vocalist.
Iomi didnt can Gillen at all. Ray and Eric Singer left right before the album was to be finished. Not calling you a liar Mrmetal im just quoting what ive seen on the Sabbath documentary DVDs and read in several publications.


I have actually read both accounts, so I really don't know which one is accurate. Three sides to every story. Curious, was that an offical Sabbath documentary or unauthorized version? :wink: Because I have some DVDs on Sabbath and they never bring Ray up at all. Wondering which one you saw it in.

I just don't think Ray would have worked in Sabbath. For one, he was American and Tony doesn't play well with singers from the other side of the pond. The other reason is I don't think Ray was dark enough to write lyrics for Sabbath, which is what Tony likes to do. He found his nitch with Jake and Badlands.

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 1972
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Gray, TN

Re: Iommi vs Page

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Thu May 04, 2006 1:11 pm

mrmetal wrote:
harddriver wrote:
mrmetal wrote:You know, I love Ray Gillen as a singer and all. But there was a reason Iommi canned him. It just wasn't going to work. Tony Martin is an excellent vocalist.
Iomi didnt can Gillen at all. Ray and Eric Singer left right before the album was to be finished. Not calling you a liar Mrmetal im just quoting what ive seen on the Sabbath documentary DVDs and read in several publications.


I have actually read both accounts, so I really don't know which one is accurate. Three sides to every story. Curious, was that an offical Sabbath documentary or unauthorized version? :wink: Because I have some DVDs on Sabbath and they never bring Ray up at all. Wondering which one you saw it in.

I just don't think Ray would have worked in Sabbath. For one, he was American and Tony doesn't play well with singers from the other side of the pond. The other reason is I don't think Ray was dark enough to write lyrics for Sabbath, which is what Tony likes to do. He found his nitch with Jake and Badlands.


I totally understand what you're saying, but IMO Ray could sing the ingredients from a Betty Crocker box and make it sound good! :lol:

I've always wanted to say that!

Previous

Return to Free for all...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 3 guests