Jake E. Lee -VS- Yngwie Malmsteen

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Which guitarist do you like over the other?

Jake E. Lee
88%
Yngwie J. Malmsteen
12%

Total votes : 78

Re: Jake E. Lee -VS- Yngwie Malmsteen

Postby debaser » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:44 am

stratattack wrote:yes and NO he only brought neoclassical to more poeple but Al DeMeola as well as Uli Jon Roth as well as Robert frip and of course some Yes tunes as well used alot of classical vibes to their tunes.

Hi, I'm new here.

I would not call Fripp or Dimeola classically influenced, per se. Dimeola's main influence is flamenco, as far as I know. I can see the similarity though - whether it comes from Spanish style playing, or from Bach, Dimeola and Yngwie are both using a lot of phrygian dominant in their lines. Fripp is more of a post-modernist, IMO, who doesn't really use any of the same devices as Yngwie, and doesn't seem to ahve that affinity for baroque sounding melodies.

On topic, I agree that you can't respond well to this poll. There is plenty of room for personal preference, but these 2 guys are such completely different players that it really isn't fair to either of them to make this comparison.

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:08 pm

debaser wrote:
stratattack wrote:yes and NO he only brought neoclassical to more poeple but Al DeMeola as well as Uli Jon Roth as well as Robert frip and of course some Yes tunes as well used alot of classical vibes to their tunes.

Hi, I'm new here.

I would not call Fripp or Dimeola classically influenced, per se. Dimeola's main influence is flamenco, as far as I know. I can see the similarity though - whether it comes from Spanish style playing, or from Bach, Dimeola and Yngwie are both using a lot of phrygian dominant in their lines. Fripp is more of a post-modernist, IMO, who doesn't really use any of the same devices as Yngwie, and doesn't seem to ahve that affinity for baroque sounding melodies.

On topic, I agree that you can't respond well to this poll. There is plenty of room for personal preference, but these 2 guys are such completely different players that it really isn't fair to either of them to make this comparison.

Yes and No, I went to Burklee College of music and saw Al Dimeola several time and even attended his work shops and he was very Classically Influenced but yeas he also plays alot of flamenco as well as for Fripp he started playing Classical then Jazz then began fusion. it in his Bio.
The artist formally known as Brawler

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:01 pm

Which guitarist do you LIKE over the other?

The question isn't asking which one is more technically inclined, more trained, or even better for that matter.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Bengal65 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:05 pm

I don't know, I haven't met either one.

Postby Fretman » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:39 pm

I prefer Jake's style, but no one can deny Malmsteen's skill. We're really comparing two totally different things here.

Postby strat2tele1 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:35 pm

Versatility is why Jake got the vote on this one. Randy Rhoads, a big influence, was a pioneer with adopting the classical feel into rock.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:15 am

Bengal65 wrote:I don't know, I haven't met either one.

Maybe it should read, which guitarist's style do you prefer?

Postby debaser » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:08 am

stratattack wrote:
debaser wrote:

Yes and No, I went to Burklee College of music and saw Al Dimeola several time and even attended his work shops and he was very Classically Influenced but yeas he also plays alot of flamenco as well as for Fripp he started playing Classical then Jazz then began fusion. it in his Bio.

I see. Well, I can't argue with logic like that(ie. basing a conclusion on workshops and a bio rather than their decades of recorded work), but I think it's usually spelled Berklee.

Again, on topic, even if it's strictly a comparison of which player I prefer in terms of my taste, I really can't choose between Jake and Yngwie. They're both phenomenal guitar players and the main influences who inspired me to start playing many years ago. Inerestingly enough, I remember reading interviews with Jake back in the day and being surprised to see that he was not that much of an Yngwie fan - not enough fire in his playing, to paraphrase.

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:21 am

yes it is I just noticed the misspelling it is Berklee sorry Boston my bad LOL!! but I do agree with wat you said about thei bodies of work but at the same note haveing DiMeola telling us at berklee what styles he incorporates in his playing style as for Fripp he is way to out of the park to pin point .
But back to the point at hand YJM and Jake E Lee are 2 different styles entirely.

Killer of Giants

Postby johnthebrucelee » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:22 am

MetalHead wrote:I can't vote :(

Both Jake and Yngwie are almost equal big influences to me :!:

*wish that johnthebrucelee added another poll option ... "NONE !" *

Yeah, I was thinking about it. :wink:

Anyways, I don't want this poll like Eddy VS Rhoads. I just want to know who YOU like better, not of his musical knowledge. Simple as that. :P

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:06 pm

Professional Guitarists musicians Jake E. Lee and Yngwie J. Malmsteen are both extremely talented in the music field genre their in and are as different from the other as night is to day. I like and admire both legendary musicians in which Jake E. Lee has a Bluesy/Hard Rock funk root background and Yngwie J. Malmsteen has a more Classical/Hard Rock Baroque root background and as I mentioned above they both are extremely talented and definately can Metal Rock down the House! I personally like Jake E. Lee's music Skill grooves "more" because I like Hard Rock, Blues Funk & the Metal genre music Field(s) that his established his true Heart music passions with. But I must say that Yngwie Malmsteen is very "speedy" in his music Skills. Peace & Rock on!

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:16 pm

Fretman wrote:I prefer Jake's style, but no one can deny Malmsteen's skill. We're really comparing two totally different things here.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Jake's got the style I like and plays it like no other I've seen. Malmsteen can $%&#ing play ... just don't favor his style. Jake gets my vote.

Postby KEVIN » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:12 am

This vote reminds me of the time, right after seeing Malmsteen on the Malmsteen \ AC/DC Tour. Incidentally,this was right before, or right after Jake joined Ozzy. Anyway, I went into 7/11 to buy some more beer and 2 Randy Rhoads Fanatics wearing Randy-Hendrix and Randy Rhodes Forevever T-Shirts on (which was probably part of their daily wardrobe) walked in. These guys loved Randy with a passion, they walked in smiling, ranting and raving about him. They asked me if I liked Randy and I said "Randy's awesome". But then, being the Malmsteen fanatic I was, came back with (in a load, arrogant, drunken tone) "Yeah, but Yngwie is greatest guitarist that ever lived!" I wasn't sure if they wanted to cry or hit me, they were completely devastated! It was actually a very cruel thing to do. I still remember the defeated, tormented look on their faces. Anyway, since then I decided not to compare guitarist's to each other since I love so many including Jake, Yngwie and yes, even Randy.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:27 am

"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:38 am

Still un decided!!! HELP!!!!!

PreviousNext

Return to All things Jake E Lee...