Gainiac Preamp from Rocktron

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Gainiac Preamp from Rocktron

Postby mrmetal » Tue May 02, 2006 2:17 pm

Anyone ever use one of these things? I rigged one up on Friday night just to see what it would sound like. Anyway, I was pleasently surprised with the tube tone on this unit.

It has one tube in it, but I think that is it. For around $100 used, this isn't a bad preamp and doesn't feedback too bad. I hooked it up to my mesa power amp into a 4X12 cab with celestions in it. Great rock tone, great metal tone. Can't get the rectified tone out of it, but for straight ahead rock and metal, it sounded good.

Just curious if any other gear head has tried one. I give it a good 3.5 stars out of five.

Killer of Giants

Re: Gainiac Preamp from Rocktron

Postby stratattack » Tue May 02, 2006 7:29 pm

Rocktron makes good. yah for the money yah cant beat it at all! and I am sure the celestion equipted cab helped with the tone too. and Mesa has always made a great Power amp.
The artist formally known as Brawler

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Tue May 02, 2006 10:37 pm

stratattack wrote: I am sure the celestion equipted cab helped with the tone too.

Hell Yeah it did! :twisted:

Killer of Giants

Postby crisguitar » Wed May 03, 2006 5:28 am

mrmetal wrote:Anyone ever use one of these things? I rigged one up on Friday night just to see what it would sound like. Anyway, I was pleasently surprised with the tube tone on this unit.

It has one tube in it, but I think that is it. For around $100 used, this isn't a bad preamp and doesn't feedback too bad. I hooked it up to my mesa power amp into a 4X12 cab with celestions in it. Great rock tone, great metal tone. Can't get the rectified tone out of it, but for straight ahead rock and metal, it sounded good.

Just curious if any other gear head has tried one. I give it a good 3.5 stars out of five.

hmmm as a rack curious guy i may have to try 1...man im getting into wanting a rack system..my hotrod amp is soooo crunchy!!!

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Wed May 03, 2006 7:01 am

It makes me wonder about the other preamps Rocktron produces. If you go rack, make sure you get a tube power amp.

Return to Free for all...