Mesa Boogie or Marshall !!

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Mesa Boogie or Marshall !!

Postby stratattack » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:44 am

Yes boys and girls this will be tough for some of us , I own some Marshalls and a couple of boogies too and lateley I have been going more twords the boogies .
so Now the Battle Royal begins Between these metal gods of amplification.
I really wanna hear from my brother and sisiter Jake heads 8)
The artist formally known as Brawler

Killer of Giants

Re: Mesa Boogie or Marshall !!

Postby Deansolo » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:00 pm

stratattack wrote:Yes boys and girls this will be tough for some of us , I own some Marshalls and a couple of boogies too and lateley I have been going more twords the boogies .
Okay, first before I answer I have to say this is like asking someone which kind of groupie he/she prefers......Blondes or Brunettes. There can be no definitive answer IMO. Both brands of amp have different attributes, but the end goal is the same..."great tone". Tone is a very subjective issue....just like blondes vs. brunettes. Visually blondes are different than brunettes, but not better. Sonically, Marshalls are different than Mesas but again, not better IMO. For me there can be no definite answer!

With that said,..........Nowadays, I think I prefer the sound of a vintage plexiglass face Marshall over a Boogie. Some years ago I think I would have said Boogie.....Damn it!..I wouldn't kick either one off-stage! :x

NOTE: Why can't it be a question like "Plexi vs. Twin" or something easy like that? :x
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:53 am

Deansolo wrote:
stratattack wrote:Yes boys and girls this will be tough for some of us , I own some Marshalls and a couple of boogies too and lateley I have been going more twords the boogies .
Okay, first before I answer I have to say this is like asking someone which kind of groupie he/she prefers......Blondes or Brunettes. There can be no definitive answer IMO. Both brands of amp have different attributes, but the end goal is the same..."great tone". Tone is a very subjective issue....just like blondes vs. brunettes. Visually blondes are different than brunettes, but not better. Sonically, Marshalls are different than Mesas but again, not better IMO. For me there can be no definite answer!

With that said,..........Nowadays, I think I prefer the sound of a vintage plexiglass face Marshall over a Boogie. Some years ago I think I would have said Boogie.....Damn it!..I wouldn't kick either one off-stage! :x

NOTE: Why can't it be a question like "Plexi vs. Twin" or something easy like that? :x

Leave it to you Deano to have such a Creative analogy of the subject LOL!!!! :lol: I do see your point ,. so just for you Ill change it up a bit. :D
The artist formally known as Brawler

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:39 am

I don't mind choosing. MESA's and blondes!

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:48 pm

mrmetal wrote:I don't mind choosing. MESA's and blondes!

:lol: Hahaha! Yeah Baby! :D There ya go...A man that knows what he likes! 8) :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:44 am

My choice of amps is nice to the eyes, degrees of warmth, loud, colorful like Sybil, deeply crunchy and pristinely clean . . . not to mention, homegrown in Arizona, USA, and a fine reverb. Since the day I plugged into one in the Guitar Attic, I have personally compared/ likened them to Mesa Boogies, better sounding and more appealing, if anything, than Marshalls. I've never owned a Boogie; stealing time from my "tastier" selection of "buds" to play their Mesa Boogie was a crime of my multitudinal passions in high school ( yeah, like twenty-something years ago!!! LOL LOL Wait a minute . . . ), thus said, I have owned a couple of Marshalls( yippee cayee cow pattie), which carries about as much excitment as saying, "I've owned a Japanese car."

All that I can add is, "I want more!!!" When I was shopping for my Genz-Benz, I was introduced to Dr. Z amplification. Have any of you guys ever plugged into a Dr. Z? Ouch. er . . . huh?! They're pretty expensive, but to try one out is an extraordinary event. Speaking of cash . . . brunettes.
Last edited by frethead on Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:08 am

Laney for the win :D
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:36 pm

I agree with you there Dean....I have always been a Marshall man, had 2 JCM800 Marshall heads for 20 years. I had an amp which was custom made for me for awhile, that a local guy here used to make called a Woogie. It looked like a Mesa, and sounded like anyway u wanted it made. He was good this guy, but his best, were Bass amps. They were fat as fuk, 1 of the best bass sounds I have heard from his amps.

But yeh, I have always played Marshall's I know them back to front, and I wouldnt use anything else...I know where I stand with them. :)

All Access Member

Postby Stargazer » Wed May 03, 2006 9:48 am

What he said.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Thajan » Wed May 03, 2006 11:24 am

I'm going for the oposite:

Marshalls and Brunettes 8)

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Wed May 03, 2006 1:19 pm

Thajan wrote: I'm going for the oposite:

Marshalls and Brunettes 8)

That actually isn't a bad choice mate. Since I have the two I picked, I want to stand by my decision. 8)

Return to Free for all...