Jake E. Lee -VS- Yngwie Malmsteen

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Which guitarist do you like over the other?

Jake E. Lee
69
88%
Yngwie J. Malmsteen
9
12%
 
Total votes : 78
Newbie
User avatar
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Jake E. Lee -VS- Yngwie Malmsteen

Postby 59flametop » Mon May 08, 2006 10:23 am

Which do I like? Jake

Who's the better technician? Yngwie

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Jake E. Lee -VS- Yngwie Malmsteen

Postby mrmetal » Mon May 08, 2006 10:30 am

Don't forget soul. That is a popular one too. Yngwie plays with no feeling or soul.

Yeah, right.

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 2138
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Jake E. Lee -VS- Yngwie Malmsteen

Postby MetalHead » Mon May 08, 2006 11:26 am

mrmetal wrote:Don't forget soul. That is a popular one too. Yngwie plays with no feeling or soul.

Yeah, right.


the most common answer when people judge guitarists that play fast.
"he's techincal but has no feeling" etc etc ... 8)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 1972
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Gray, TN

Re: Jake E. Lee -VS- Yngwie Malmsteen

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Mon May 08, 2006 1:33 pm

mrmetal wrote:Don't forget soul. That is a popular one too. Yngwie plays with no feeling or soul.

Yeah, right.


Here's my comment to those of you that say Yngwie has no soul.....

You should have seen him do a blues number the other night at his show, while singing the vocals. The dude kicks ass, and that's all there is to it! He was having the time of his life while doing that too! I'd actually encourage him to do a true blues rock album and him do the vocal duties as well.

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 1972
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Gray, TN

Re: Jake E. Lee -VS- Yngwie Malmsteen

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Mon May 08, 2006 1:40 pm

Gutterflower wrote:JAKE

Yes, Yngwie's a guitar god-yada yada yada-but so is Jake, and I prefer him. His style, tone and feel is much more heartfelt and soulful, to me. Yngwie can play a million miles an hour but I'm over that :) I don't know anything about technique or scales, etc because I'm no musician. All I know is what I like!


I like both of these guys, but how can people say that Yngwie doesn't play with soul and Jake does? They play different styles, yes, but Yngwie can play neo-classical as well as blues, spanish guitar, etc.

I've never heard Jake play any Spanish guitar or neo-classical, yet he has more soul?

Will someone tell me where I'm going wrong here? :?

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Jake E. Lee -VS- Yngwie Malmsteen

Postby mrmetal » Mon May 08, 2006 2:48 pm

It is Jake's site and I know most people here side with Jake because they are fans. I am a big Jake fan too, but no way in hell can he touch Yngwie PERIOD!

For what it is worth, if I could play like Yngwie, I would be one arrogant bastard myself. :D

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 715
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: adelaide, Australia

Re: Jake E. Lee -VS- Yngwie Malmsteen

Postby Rock » Mon May 08, 2006 3:28 pm

mrmetal wrote:It is Jake's site and I know most people here side with Jake because they are fans. I am a big Jake fan too, but no way in hell can he touch Yngwie PERIOD!

For what it is worth, if I could play like Yngwie, I would be one arrogant bastard myself. :D


I think u will find though, that alot of ppl these days are over the neo classical thing, I think thats what they are saying, and they would rather Jakes style, but Yngwie is one kick ass blues player too. :)

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Jake E. Lee -VS- Yngwie Malmsteen

Postby Gutterflower » Mon May 08, 2006 3:48 pm

PoetsandMadmen wrote:
Gutterflower wrote:JAKE

Yes, Yngwie's a guitar god-yada yada yada-but so is Jake, and I prefer him. His style, tone and feel is much more heartfelt and soulful, to me. Yngwie can play a million miles an hour but I'm over that :) I don't know anything about technique or scales, etc because I'm no musician. All I know is what I like!


I like both of these guys, but how can people say that Yngwie doesn't play with soul and Jake does? They play different styles, yes, but Yngwie can play neo-classical as well as blues, spanish guitar, etc.

I've never heard Jake play any Spanish guitar or neo-classical, yet he has more soul?

Will someone tell me where I'm going wrong here? :?


I never said that Yngwie doesn't have ANY soul...I said that TO ME, Jake's playing is more heartfelt & soulful. The original question was who do you prefer. 8)
Image

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Jake E. Lee -VS- Yngwie Malmsteen

Postby mrmetal » Tue May 09, 2006 5:33 am

Rock wrote: I think u will find though, that alot of ppl these days are over the neo classical thing, I think thats what they are saying, and they would rather Jakes style, but Yngwie is one kick ass blues player too. :)


I don't know about that. Nightwish and Stratovarius have been headlining shows all over Europe, Japan, and the US believe it or not. The music is heavily built on the neo-classical vibe. That is just two examples.

Melodic Death Metal is a big draw here in Texas, same thing...neo-classical

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 1972
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Gray, TN

Re: Jake E. Lee -VS- Yngwie Malmsteen

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue May 09, 2006 5:57 am

Rock wrote:
mrmetal wrote:It is Jake's site and I know most people here side with Jake because they are fans. I am a big Jake fan too, but no way in hell can he touch Yngwie PERIOD!

For what it is worth, if I could play like Yngwie, I would be one arrogant bastard myself. :D


I think u will find though, that alot of ppl these days are over the neo classical thing, I think thats what they are saying, and they would rather Jakes style, but Yngwie is one kick ass blues player too. :)


I disagree. I don't believe people over here are over the neo-classical thing, because it's never been that big in the states to begin with. If you're referring to Europe, then yes, that very well may be the case. I also feel like people in European countries aren't so one track minded when it comes to hard rock/metal or music in general for that matter! If you'll notice some of the rosters for the big summer festivals over in Germany and Sweden, they'll have bands like Staind, Cold playing next to bands like Within Temptation, Edguy. It's not that I wish death to nu-metal or alternative music, but I wish that we could just have a wider variety here! I'm not talking about more death metal either! :lol: What's wrong with a hard rock/heavy metal band with a lead singer with some range on his voice? Why doesn't our pop culture allow that more? Hmmmm...I think I'll post a thread about that! I don't know the answer either, but I'd like to hear everyone's feedback.

Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Portland, ME

Re: Jake E. Lee -VS- Yngwie Malmsteen

Postby debaser » Tue May 09, 2006 6:47 am

Rock wrote:
mrmetal wrote:It is Jake's site and I know most people here side with Jake because they are fans. I am a big Jake fan too, but no way in hell can he touch Yngwie PERIOD!

For what it is worth, if I could play like Yngwie, I would be one arrogant bastard myself. :D


I think u will find though, that alot of ppl these days are over the neo classical thing, I think thats what they are saying, and they would rather Jakes style, but Yngwie is one kick ass blues player too. :)


Most of the bands in the USA are over good guitar playing in general. It's not just Yngwie-type stuff that's considered passe - you don't hear a lot of guitar players like Jake, Lynch, Nuno, etc. in radio bands at all. Then, some nu band like Disturbed comes out with an album with some wannabe-Hammett soloing on it, and everyone thinks it's great because it has guitar solos. Sure, they have guitar solos - bad ones.

Newbie
User avatar
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Leesburg

Re: Jake E. Lee -VS- Yngwie Malmsteen

Postby mr_scary » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:47 pm

I honestly have to say I prefer Jake over Yngwie. Sure, Yngwie plays classical metal at blistering speeds, but that's ALL HE DOES! Jake on the other hand, has technique and not just speed. As for the new music, solos are starting to come back, sure they're bad, but hey, their solos aren't they?
\"I have a beligerant enthusiasm or an enthusiastic beligerance, I\'m an intellectual slut\"-David Lee Roth

Killer of Giants
Posts: 1567
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: San Luis Rey, California

Re: Jake E. Lee -VS- Yngwie Malmsteen

Postby Deansolo » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:08 pm

Yngwie is SO 1985!..................Just kidding! :D

I honestly like them both. Although I prefer Jakes style.

did I post that before? oh well.
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 2138
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Jake E. Lee -VS- Yngwie Malmsteen

Postby MetalHead » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:33 am

mr_scary wrote:I honestly have to say I prefer Jake over Yngwie. Sure, Yngwie plays classical metal at blistering speeds, but that's ALL HE DOES! Jake on the other hand, has technique and not just speed. As for the new music, solos are starting to come back, sure they're bad, but hey, their solos aren't they?


so Yngwie doesn't have technique ? :roll:
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Newbie
User avatar
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Leesburg

Re: Jake E. Lee -VS- Yngwie Malmsteen

Postby mr_scary » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:38 am

He has technique, he's just such a speed freak that it gets stupid after a while. Jake doesn't rely on blistering speed for his solos

PreviousNext

Return to All things Jake E Lee...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests