What's happened to the traditional sounds of hard rock/

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Re: What's happened to the traditional sounds of hard r

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Thu May 11, 2006 1:24 pm

I'm not a Nevermore fan so to speak, but I've heard a good bit of their stuff. Nothing has overly impressed me, but I don't necessarily hate it either.

The thread was simply to start conversation Thajan, so I'm not trying to establish who's breaking ground here. If I contradicted myself, I didn't intend to.

With that said, go back and listen to Images and Words and Awake and tell me that those two albums are boring and not innovative! Both are classic progmetal albums that have set the standard for your Nevermore and any other band to follow within the last decade.

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Thu May 11, 2006 4:53 pm

PoetsandMadmen wrote:Jake fans, what's happened to the big drums, big production, and guitar solos in hard rock/metal :?:

What the heck has happened to having hair and looking like a rock band instead of a college fraternity :?:

Do you think "true metal" will ever be at the fore front of the U.S. music scene again :?:

SOMEBODY SAAAAAVE ME :!: :!: :!: :!: :D

There seems to be a bit of a comeback, but the invention of rap, hiphop etc etc etc (u get the picture), I can never see it being where it used to be, I really wish metal was like the 80's, but I think the glory days have been and gone. :cry:

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Demon_A_Go-Go » Thu May 11, 2006 5:12 pm

I like the drop D tuned guitars , not all of the new sounding bands with distortion are lamers. I like System of a Down,Godsmack ,Alter Bridge. Even without any solos their riffs are incredible .Low,crunchy and powerfull .

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Thu May 11, 2006 5:20 pm

real Metal is still around dont fret!!!
The artist formally known as Brawler

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Thu May 11, 2006 11:51 pm

Demon_A_Go-Go wrote:I like the drop D tuned guitars , not all of the new sounding bands with distortion are lamers. I like System of a Down,Godsmack ,Alter Bridge. Even without any solos their riffs are incredible .Low,crunchy and powerfull .

Yeh man, I went through that stage, u dont need solo's, the riffs and the dynamics of the song can really make it these days. :)

Just listen the stuff i did 10 years ago, no solo's just riffin, back then it wasnt around much, now it is everywhere.....heres the link

http://www.jakeelee.com/html/testconver ... 6531#p6531

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri May 12, 2006 5:27 am

stratattack wrote:real Metal is still around dont fret!!!

I agree! I'm glad that you realize that!

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri May 12, 2006 5:29 am

Demon_A_Go-Go wrote:I like the drop D tuned guitars , not all of the new sounding bands with distortion are lamers. I like System of a Down,Godsmack ,Alter Bridge. Even without any solos their riffs are incredible .Low,crunchy and powerfull .

I like the drop D tuned guitars too, but not in every single song/band that I listen to.

Killer of Giants

Postby crisguitar » Fri May 12, 2006 6:03 am

we had a great chat like on the first page on the forum...check it out it a good read!!!! c.c devile..hahah

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Thajan » Fri May 12, 2006 8:01 am

PoetsandMadmen wrote:I'm not a Nevermore fan so to speak, but I've heard a good bit of their stuff. Nothing has overly impressed me, but I don't necessarily hate it either.

The thread was simply to start conversation Thajan, so I'm not trying to establish who's breaking ground here. If I contradicted myself, I didn't intend to.

With that said, go back and listen to Images and Words and Awake and tell me that those two albums are boring and not innovative! Both are classic progmetal albums that have set the standard for your Nevermore and any other band to follow within the last decade.

Sorry if I offended you cause I didn't mean to, just my opinion that's all.

The Dream Theater albums you just mentioned are indeed innovative but after that it got boring IMHO. With the guys concentrating more on technical stuff than songstuff. Than again I'm not a prog fan so....

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri May 12, 2006 12:09 pm

Thajan wrote:
PoetsandMadmen wrote:I'm not a Nevermore fan so to speak, but I've heard a good bit of their stuff. Nothing has overly impressed me, but I don't necessarily hate it either.

Sorry if I offended you cause I didn't mean to, just my opinion that's all.

The Dream Theater albums you just mentioned are indeed innovative but after that it got boring IMHO. With the guys concentrating more on technical stuff than songstuff. Than again I'm not a prog fan so....

You didn't offend me. The technical prowess of the DT guys does tend to get carried away at times, but not in every case. Mainly in their live shows is where it becomes too much at times....

Previous

Return to Free for all...