Jake Would be Proud!

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Ultimate Sinner

Jake Would be Proud!

Postby Bengal65 » Mon May 15, 2006 7:49 pm

I think? Well, after 3 months and 400 or so hours of restoration, the 1965 Gibson SG Junior in TV, Polaris White is finished. She sits along side her siblings and rests. I now know why Jake never took his SG Junior on the road. They are so delicate, but have monster sound. :lol: I didn't have to pay for her with a newspaper route, but my hands fingers and my entire house is a wreck right now! The collection grows.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Re: Jake Would be Proud!

Postby Mstp34 » Mon May 15, 2006 7:56 pm

Beautiful

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Mon May 15, 2006 8:11 pm

:o Wow, you have a lovely JAKE Guitars Models Collection there (the Cheval/Chevelle it's difficult to read their legendary Trademark sometimes & the Gibson name I can clearly see it, smile), Bengal65. You've done a nice Restoration works on your newest Jake E. Lee Guitar Model/GIBSON Guitar SG: it's snow white w/a black cloudburst looking design very breathtaking and I have noticed that JAKE w/his original Gibson Guitar in one of his "earlier" famous promo B/W 1983/84 photoshots proudly displays it, I love that photo of him! You done a really fantastic job of Restorations w/you newest Classic JAKE/GIBSION Guitar...-it's breathtaking. Peace!

I think it's spelled CHARVEL (that's another Master Classic Guitar Trademark that Jake E. Lee is highly associated with!) and I often sometimes get confessed by it's strange spelling as you see above but it's spelled Charvel. Smile!

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Bengal65 » Mon May 15, 2006 8:45 pm

Thanks for the kind words Shadow. The White and Purpleburst are "Charvel" replicas. Those 3 that he had are my favorites and I may add a Blueburst by next year. Jake always had good taste in guitars, but I don't know about his choice currently with ESP? Anyway a tribute to my favorite guitarist! The SG Junior was meant to be a student guitar and really is because of the skinny neck. A real nice guitar if you have small hands. I don't, but I can live with it. :)

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Bengal65 » Mon May 15, 2006 8:49 pm

Shadow,
I'm still working on the photography thing. The guitars look better in the natural indoor light, but do not focus well. I can't shoot them with a flash it blasts them and the Purpleburst turns into a Blueburst :lol:

For the record the originator of the brand was Wayne Charvel. He and his son, Michael still build guitars in Paradise, CA under the name "Wayne" guitars. You have a legend just up State from you.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Mon May 15, 2006 9:06 pm

Wayne and Michael didn't build Jakes guitars ;)
If my memory serves me right, Grover Jackson built them :)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Mon May 15, 2006 9:11 pm

Very nice collection. Bravo.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Bengal65 » Mon May 15, 2006 9:33 pm

MetalHead wrote:Wayne and Michael didn't build Jakes guitars ;)
If my memory serves me right, Grover Jackson built them :)

Yea, I know it was Grover, I was just explaining where the name "Charvel" came from. Wayne was long gone by the time Jakes guitars were built.

All Access Member

Postby yankee » Mon May 15, 2006 9:41 pm

Those are sweet

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Tue May 16, 2006 2:07 am

A collection to be proud of...they're gorgeous! :D

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Tue May 16, 2006 2:28 am

Very nice Bengal65! All of them are beautiful..but that SG jr. is awesome! Great job on the restoration. :D
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue May 16, 2006 6:18 am

I'm not a guitarist dude, but I have to say, I'm very impressed!

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Bengal65 » Tue May 16, 2006 7:31 am

Thanks for the comments. The poor SG Jr. had neglected pretty much. The guitar had come to me with a very bad refinish and the headstock was coming apart due to the many tuner changes and the screw holes left behind. I had to plug all the screw and tuner shaft holes, veneer the top in mahogany and epoxy the backside of the headstock. Several pickguards were on the guitar at various times and I had to plug all the holes. The electronics were Asian imports, that I replaced with American made parts as original. The guitar was a good candidate for restoration as there were no neck repairs. Once I had the wood in good shape, I sealed the grain with epoxy grain filler and used the same acrylic lacquer primer and the top coats in "Polaris" white that was used back in the day. The acrylic lacquer takes much longer to cure than a Urethane finish used on many guitars today. Gibson used Nitro lacquers on the transparent finishes and acrylic lacquer on the opaque finishes. I'm glad it turned out much better than I thought it would! :D

All Access Member

Postby Charvelised » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:27 am

What p90 do you have in the SG?
I have The Same SG junior unkown make but it has a Humbucker with Surround and I'd like To Change it?

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Bengal65 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:26 am

It's a Gibson P-90. Original pickup with new cover.

Next

Return to All things Jake E Lee...