Viv hates metal! What?

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Re: Viv hates metal! What?

Postby Gutterflower » Fri May 19, 2006 5:23 pm

Let It Go was their best, IMO. I loved Pyromania, too. I didn't see them live until the Hysteria tour, and they had Tesla opening. That was a good show all the way around.

All Access Member

Postby jimiforrest » Fri May 19, 2006 5:33 pm

Nah...I'm a metalhead myself...I guess I meant more so..well written parts that fit well with the songs...instead of "let's play rhythm during the verses and chorus...then I'll do this amazing guitar solo". There are a lot of well-written fills and leads on the Riverdogs CD and they don't take away from the other parts. Then again, Dio dictated what Viv did on those first three albums to a large extent.

Again...just my two cents...don't hang me for it...jeez.

Jimi

Postby Fretman » Fri May 19, 2006 8:21 pm

I love his work with Riverdogs as well. Everything Dio and Riverdogs is good IMO...he either wasn't willing,able or allowed to give DL the kick in the ass they desperately needed.

Postby strat2tele1 » Fri May 19, 2006 9:54 pm

Vivian Campbell is an awesome reserved guitarist today.

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Sat May 20, 2006 10:30 am

Come to think of it . . . Pete Willis layed down some pretty strange and beautiful licks on those first two Def Leppard albums. Thanks, Jimi. High 'n Dry was a killing machine with two handfuls of powerful songs, and On Through the Night is a real doozy when you set aside, like, a whole damn day to l-i-s-t-e-n to it. LOL You just can't beat that Led Zep influence! I guess that's all I have to say about that. It's a Free for All!!!

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Sat May 20, 2006 2:04 pm

jimiforrest wrote:
Again...just my two cents...don't hang me for it...jeez.

WTF? Why are you being defensive? I just asked what you meant.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Mon May 22, 2006 6:03 am

Here's my opinion of Mr. Campbell. I'm still a big Viv fan, and I'd love to see him live again. I like his work with Dio the best, then the Riverdogs stuff is a close second. As for Leppard, I completely lost interest in that band after their stuff started getting weaker and weaker with every release.

With that said, music is a business for MOST not all of these musicians, so like any other business man/woman, they're are going to go where the money is. To me, that's why Viv is dissin' his metal days, because Def Leppard is his big business now or that's where his paycheck is coming from. Def Leppard is about as much metal as The Coors these days, so that kind of explains his attitude for me, but I could be wrong.

If I was Viv, I'd embrace his days with Dio, because that's what got his ass on the map to begin with! In addition, who wouldn't want to brag about making some of the nastiest riffs in rock n roll and playin' lead for one of metal's all-time greats? That's a no brainer for me!

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Mon May 22, 2006 8:09 am

Yah he said that when he first joind DEF LEP he said he was sick of it he further stated that he liked being in Lep because he did not have to be an olypian with his guitar anymore.

if you listen to his new solo CD you'd see he left Metal behind . after whitesnake when he did Riverdogs the did not really have a metal vibe either it was morerock then anything else.

hell look at what Alex Skolnick did when he left Testament he went to Jazz!!
The artist formally known as Brawler

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue May 23, 2006 8:25 am

stratattack wrote:Yah he said that when he first joind DEF LEP he said he was sick of it he further stated that he liked being in Lep because he did not have to be an olypian with his guitar anymore.

if you listen to his new solo CD you'd see he left Metal behind . after whitesnake when he did Riverdogs the did not really have a metal vibe either it was morerock then anything else.

Alex Skolnick can play anything/style he wants IMO. The thing is with Alex is that he embraces his metal days or he's not in denial about it! Plus, his work with the Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Savatage is impeccable! \nn/

The new Testament Reunion DVD, Live in London, is a must have if you're a Skolnick/Testament fan!

PoetsandMadmen gives it two horns up \nn/ :D

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Tue May 23, 2006 9:49 am

PoetsandMadmen wrote:
stratattack wrote:Yah he said that when he first joind DEF LEP he said he was sick of it he further stated that he liked being in Lep because he did not have to be an olypian with his guitar anymore.

Alex Skolnick can play anything/style he wants IMO. The thing is with Alex is that he embraces his metal days or he's not in denial about it! Plus, his work with the Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Savatage is impeccable! \nn/

The new Testament Reunion DVD, Live in London, is a must have if you're a Skolnick/Testament fan!

PoetsandMadmen gives it two horns up \nn/ :D

AMEN to That Brutha :twisted:
The artist formally known as Brawler

Previous

Return to Free for all...