Les Pauls or Strats

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Re: Les Pauls or Strats

Postby stratattack » Wed May 31, 2006 3:47 pm

to get a goo RR model you gotta get a USA or a japanese one the Korean ones are total Junk!!!
The artist formally known as Brawler

Killer of Giants

Postby johnthebrucelee » Wed May 31, 2006 8:48 pm

skezza wrote:hey Johh, sorry to go off topic, but i wouldnt mind hearing a review about an RR5. I am a huge randy fan, but when i tried a Jap RR5. it was awful. No resinence in body, tone was crap, action was wrong although i can set that, intonation was all over the place, and the holes in the back where u thread the strings wernt level. whats yours like?

Hey buddy! :o
Well, let's see... Mine is a japanese RR5 Ivory w/ pinstripes. The neck is thin, which is made easier for classical position. The finish is good and beautiful. The strings always need to be replaced when buying a new guitar IMO. I might need to change the tuners for something else because bends really make off tune UNLESS it is properly strung. On this guitar, putting new strings is very sensitive. Meaning you have to put it on right or it screws up. Maybe it's me and it's my first tune-o-matic bridge guitar. The action can be set low and it's a neck thru. I love this guitar a lot BUT the big downside for me is the electronics. I'm planning to change the electronics because here's the reasons: The pickup selector works sometimes. I mean at times, it switches or turns your guitar off in either position! The tone pot and volume pot also needs replacing because the volume pot doesn't have total control of the volume, but kind of like a master tone if you know what I mean. The gold hardware does tarnish overtime. Mine string thru holes were correct, at least the way I see it. My action was low and it does a good job without buzzing. Just like stratattack said, get the Japan and USA models, not the bolt on necks for the RR.

Well, I love my RR5 to death and the day I change the pickups/electronics is the day I'll marry it. That's my review, my friend. :D

Postby skezza » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:20 am

Hey john,
This was a Japanese RR5, however it was in Sound Control (a large multi chain shop run by muppets that dont play guitar, therefore they cant set the action, intonation, or check a guitar for its quality) so I do buy one it will be not from there. The holes in the back were not evenly apart. There were a few dinks on it. And this was meant to be brand new. Ill either buy a Kelly for £1195 or a Soloist at £900 at this rate. Something needs to turn me around on the RR5!

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:13 am

yah all the bolt on Jackson with the exeption of the dinky are Junk the necks are made from the lowest grade of maple and rosewood thats why alot of guys goto warmoth of USA customs and get better necks then replace the fake floyd with a real one basicley turing a korean into a us Jackson going so far as to changing the pickups and other hardware.
Hey John I reccomend you get some sperzals of schalers for new tuners.
The artist formally known as Brawler

Previous

Return to Free for all...