Jake E. Lee -VS- Yngwie Malmsteen

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Which guitarist do you like over the other?

Jake E. Lee
88%
Yngwie J. Malmsteen
12%

Total votes : 78
All Access Member

Re: Jake E. Lee -VS- Yngwie Malmsteen

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:46 am

Some people just don't seem to appreciate both styles for some reason.

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:52 pm

johnthebrucelee wrote:Okay, this just raced my mind. In your opinion, which guitarist do you prefer? (Even though this is a Jake fan forum. lol)

I love them both, but for some reason, I prefer Jake. After listening Bark At The Moon (song) for the first time, I played it non-stop on repeat. I love the solos on that song. It fit so well.

Yngwie's first album is by far my fave of all so far. I love Black Star among the other classics.

One difficult to answer.
Surely not Yngwie cause he got lost in musical vasectomy....
Maybe Jake but I didn't have a chance to hear 'A Fine Pink Mist'

All Access Member

Postby Dude » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:44 pm

Yngwie:
- technique which seems effortless on his part
- could not be touched on first 3 albums
- so good that he comes across as clinical and sterile
- boring rhythm player

Jake:
- getting better with age
- superior rhythm player (on his post-Ozzy material)
- a better technician than some would think
- fantastic stage presense
- prefer his take on the Rhoads solos
- saw him call out some punk from the audience at L'Amour's in '94

Overall: gotta give it to Jake

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:51 pm

Dude wrote:Yngwie:
- technique which seems effortless on his part
- could not be touched on first 3 albums
- so good that he comes across as clinical and sterile
- boring rhythm player

Jake:
- getting better with age
- superior rhythm player (on his post-Ozzy material)
- a better technician than some would think
- fantastic stage presense
- prefer his take on the Rhoads solos
- saw him call out some punk from the audience at L'Amour's in '94

Overall: gotta give it to Jake

Call out some punk? what do you mean? Kind of Lemmy stuff like I'll see you backstage or something ?

Ultimate Sinner

Postby LouZ » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:51 pm

Yeah I was at that show also. It was during the Wicked Alliance era.

Someone said smoething like: "Hey Jake, how's Ozzy?"

His response: "Suck my ...."

I'm not too familiar with Yngwie's material. Would anyone who really knows his stuff care to comment on his rhytmn abilities.
I've tried learning many of Jake's songs. I'm always amazed at his his rhythmn playing. Also watching him live, he has such a command of the fret board during these parts.
I heard 'Purple Haze' on the radio and ...... it made the hairs on the back of my neck stood up

Postby kb88vet » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:27 pm

Never cared for Yngwie. I have a couple of his albums and got bored quick. Even if Yngwie is a better guitarist, I never felt the bluesy feeling I get from Jakes playing.
I will have to break out the Yngwie albums and see if I still can listen through the whole album!!!

(Hey, why am I a newbie?? I posted here before.. Oh wait, I haven't posted since they changed the format back in Jan... Man, it's been a long time since I posted here!!)

All Access Member

Postby Dude » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:40 pm

Yeah, I think the guy actually said "You should have stuck with Ozzy", after which Jake offered to arrange a meeting between his foot and the guy's ass -- right before the "suck my ..." comment.

Anyway, my opinion on Yngwie's rhythm playing is that it comes across as a means to an end -- the "end" being the next solo. It seems like a lot of his rhythm playing consists of him chugging along on a single note, or pedaling between a bass note and a couple of chords (could be the Blackmore influence?). Since it's Yngwie, I'm sure the actual ability is there -- I just don't think he cares about rhythm as much as his lead playing (which is phenomenal).

Jake's rhythm playing, on the other hand, has character. I've listened to a lot of guitar players, but Jake is one of the few whose rhythm playing is like a mini-tutorial.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby LouZ » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:05 pm

Hey Dude - did you ask Jake for a pick that night. There was one guy who walked right up to him and asked for a pick. That was the only one Jake gave out.

I still remember leaving the club with my equilibrium screwed up. What a loud concert (Jake was using four 5150 heads and four 4x12's)
I heard 'Purple Haze' on the radio and ...... it made the hairs on the back of my neck stood up

All Access Member

Postby Dude » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:41 pm

Lou, yeah, I got a pick -- Jake was passing a few out before he left the stage. I didn't ask for it -- I stuck my arm out like a dozen other people, and got lucky enough to have one planted right in my palm. I still have it -- it's brown with "Dean Markley Strings" on one side, and "Wicked Alliance" and Jake's signature on the other -- it looked like a promotional pick intended specifically for passing out to fans, I don't know.

But you're right -- Jake was running the Peaveys that night. And talk about LOUD. Can I make an admission? I didn't hear a single thing Mandy sang that night. He was completely drowned out. Of course, I was standing on Jake's side right up close, but still...damn.

I remember they threw in The Ultimate Sin and Jade's Song -- awesome.

Postby adamhotrod » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:44 am

Yngwie Malmsteen is almost a cartoon stereotype of himself now. I caught his last gig at Nottingham, and it was very skillfull but how many Arpeggios can you take in a two hour set? I liken Yngwie to a man with a 12" dick, highly impressive but almost completely useless.

I know this is a Jake forum and we're biased to a high degree, but I appreciate many great guitarists other than Jake with equal respect... My unbiased opinion is he still kicks Yngwie's arse for lots of reasons;

1. He's still cool and admirable.
2. He can write a catchy riff, and a great melody.
3. There's real soul in the playing, ala Hendrix, SRV.
4. He's not a fat git.
5. How many Girls do you know who like Malmsteen?
6. He probably only uses a quarter of what he knows in a song showing maturity and restraint (Well, since the live Ozzy era at least).
7. He is a guitar players' guitar player.

It seems stupid putting tangible reasons behind why one player is better than another, but to sum it up... I never listen to an Yngwie album to rock out to.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby LouZ » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:42 am

Dude, I was standing right by you. Just like any other Jake fan I was on the right side (from the fans perspective)

I barely heard Mandy say anything. What was cool about that concert was since it wasn't crowded, and the stage had been lowered, Jake was literally a few feet away.

I just watched him in amazement. Do you remember after a longer solo he hit the delay which was on infinite repeat, and unplugged so he could change guitars. Neat trick

All Access Member

Postby Dude » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:01 pm

Lou, it's a testament to Jake's performance that people are still talking about it 12 years later, albeit on a message board.

I remember the guitar swap, but not the delay -- it must have occurred as my eardrums were exploding from all the dB.

I just wish I could have made the Badlands gig at L'amour's as well -- a buddy of mine told me the place was crammed wall to wall.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby LouZ » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:30 pm

I saw them at L'Amours in June of 1990 after they brought Jeff Martin in the replace Eric Singer. The best memory I have from that concert are the three guitars I now own thanks to Jake's inspirational playing.

I also remember being totally into the show, looking up at one point while the band was jamming. I could swear Ray was looking right at me with that huge smile he had. They were honest musicians who appreciated the real fan support they had.

Postby skezza » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:12 am

its like apples and oranges.

One is a mental shredder who invented some of the fastest guitar playing ever.

And one is a more melodic guitarist who uses other skills like legato.

I didnt want to vote, but as said, if you dont vote you have idiots in charge so i have. I have voted for Yngiwe, Not because hes my favourite guitarist, and not because i like him more than Jake. I have more footage of Jake than yngwie, lots of jake boots, whereas i have 0 yngwie ones. I voted Yngwie, because he was one of the first guitarists to get me into 80's rock. I think he was the first, i always wanted to play Bethovhen 5th Symphony. A few months later i heard the spotlight solo from tribute, and those were my two favourites, Randy and Yngwie. Then I heard black sabbath and thought i liked ozzy quite a lot (wasnt too impressed with the rest of the band), so i tried ozzy without sabbath with Randy and Crazy Train was the first song i heard and i just loved it!

Sorry to go off a bit there. I didnt hear Jake E Lee for a long time after i discovered yngwie, but that doesnt mean he is not one of my favourites!

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:32 am

so you're saying Yngwie isn't melodic ?
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

PreviousNext

Return to All things Jake E Lee...