Guitar Player blurb

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Guitar Player blurb

Postby Deansolo » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:03 pm

So I'm reading the latest issue of GP mag. The featured article is "101 Forgotten Greats and Unsung Heroes". I get to the 'L's' and theres a little blurb about Jake. For all you who don't get the rag...er..I mean MAG, here it is as written by Darrin Fox :

JAKE E. LEE

Lee's tenure with Ozzy Osbourne brought the singer back to respectability after the tragic death of Randy Rhoads. Straight out of the Southern California school of flashy rock gods--and with the look, attitude, and chops to back it up--Lee performed sacrilege by playing 80's metal without using a whammy bar, making up for it with an abundance of neck wrangling, behind-the-nut bends and awesome tuning-machine manipulations. --DF

That's it. Nothing about the killer songwriting, nothing about his style, nothing about anything really...what a gyp. :x

GP is a POS IMO. I've had a subscription for almost 30 years and I often ask myself why. They give Jake one paragraph, but they have a 2 page interview with "blues guitarist" Steven Segal! That's right...Steven Segal, the action hero guy from the 80's. What a fkn joke!

I almost shit myself when I saw Tommy Bolin on the cover (he's also one of the 101).

Oh yeah, John Sykes made the list too.

anyway, I thought I'd share.
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

All Access Member

Re: Guitar Player blurb

Postby rmahurin » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:56 am

At least they mentioned him; IMHO, the glass is half full.

Maybe it wiil stir people to look deeper into Jake's work and they'll discover the rest. That's why this place is so important.

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:59 am

I hope you're right. :)

Welcome to the board BTW! Cool avatar! :D
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

All Access Member

Postby rmahurin » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:21 pm

Thanks! Phil was the man.

Postby skezza » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:42 pm

Im dissapointed they didnt reference at least a song. I mean, they were unlikely to reference BL because they mentioned ozzy but they could of at least said a song for people to look for.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:26 am

Maybe we could get a two-page interview in Karate Magazine for Jake. ;)

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:40 am

Always overlooked and under appreciated :cry:

However, here's something to ponder: Do you think Jake gained more attention by following Randy or do you feel he would have climbed a rung or two higher on the ladder if he had gone the direction of being in a new band - not having to follow someone? Not that we'll ever know the answer to the question - just curious of what you all think.

Killer of Giants

Postby hashima » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:06 pm

Doobie wrote:Always overlooked and under appreciated :cry:

However, here's something to ponder: Do you think Jake gained more attention by following Randy or do you feel he would have climbed a rung or two higher on the ladder if he had gone the direction of being in a new band - not having to follow someone? Not that we'll ever know the answer to the question - just curious of what you all think.

yes, we'll never know... however I think we should enjoy things how they are and don rack our brains bout how things would look if other things would have happened... I enjoy every second of The Ultimate Sin and Bark At The Moon as well as the tour videos with Ozzy back in the days when Jake burned the stage to its ground and gave Randy's material the necessarily tasteful buzz... :mrgreen:
(note: this is my own opinion and wasn't meant to offend anyone who enjoy Rhoads more... may he rip.)

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:58 pm

I wasn't asking for you to torch any brain cells coming up with an answer. But, that's okay if you can't decide one way or the other. :)

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:54 pm

Absolutely. That was a sure thing for a guitar hero. We all know the first year was hard, but I believe, from what I have seen, Jake was well accepted by Ozzy fans.

I do have a problem with that writing though - "back to respectability"; give me a fucking break.

Randy was killed in an accident,Ozzydidn't have anything to do with that.

Blizzard of Ozz is still the crowning jewel of Ozzy's solo career.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Daynah » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:41 pm

mrmetal wrote:Blizzard of Ozz is still the crowning jewel of Ozzy's solo career.

Followed closely by Diary Of A Madman.........

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:49 pm

Doobie wrote:Always overlooked and under appreciated :cry:

Randy's death was such a big shock, and I remember how devastating. It was nearly on a level with Bonham's death. Since nobody knew at first what Ozzy was going to do-hang it up or carry on-there was a bigger than average interest in the rock world when BATM came out. Of course, it was kickASS so that just made it even more popular. And everybody was curious as to who the 'new' guitar player was who replaced Randy.

When Badlands' first album came out, it got good reviews and attention because their sound was so bluesy and raw, the band was so tight and Ray's vocals unique...and they totally blew away all of the cookie cutter crap that was littering the airwaves and Headbangers Ball at the time. That album was going to do well regardless because of the quality of the songs and musicianship. I just wish they had toured together more :( If they had been able to, I think their popularity would have soared. Their live show could not be denied!

So...yeah. I think Jake gained more attention initially because of the circumstances, which overshadowed the quality of his work with Ozzy at the time. But Badlands stood on its own.

okay, Doob...I torched several brain cells on this reply! :P

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:44 pm

I have seen this GUITAR PLAYER magazine issue/that has a very familiar legendary Guitarist on it's cover the late great Tommy Bolin: I just glance through it's pages/then put it back. I really didn't check who were the Top 101 Forgotten Greats and Unsung Guitar Hero's. They don't have many pics in that magazine do they (pity!). When such a esteem magazine such as Guitar Player (and they are an awesome magazine) have a special like that well I think they sound do it in a series section/maybe like a two issue special sort of way so we music fans can get a better coverage of our favorite Guitarists and it don't have to be a two or three page Cover story at least half a pg or page of their Brief music History w/a nice Classic pic of them. I'm thrilled that legendary Guitarist Jake E. Lee was so mentioned in this special issue (and what was said was warmly genuine/I just wish it was more, that's all!) that features legendary Guitarist TOMMY BOLIN in whom past away much to soon/may he rest in sweet harmony. Anyway I shall check it out again. Peace and "thanks" for sharing, Deansolo. 8) shadow

Postby aldear » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:51 am

Speaking of John Sykes...anybody see the Thin Lizzy concert on VH1 Classic the other night?
John Sykes was a monster even back then.

Andy

Return to All things Jake E Lee...