Hi guys. New member, here. Introduction.

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Hi guys. New member, here. Introduction.

Postby Soulfinger » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:36 am

Greetings!

I have been a fan of Jake's playing for about 20 years. Honestly, I really don't even listen to other guitarists much anymore. Jake suits my own playing/listening tastes very well and my style is modeled on his.

I am 38 y.o., married, two kids, work in an insurance company in Iowa, and I am a PhD candidate (degree ABD status!! yay!!!), writing my doctoral dissertation.

I met Jake at a Wicked Alliance show 4/17/94 at Big Dog's in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He gave me two picks, his autograph, and had his picture taken with me. Very good memories! The bar had mis-billed the show as "the Jake E. Lee Band", so not many were there. This made for a much more intimate performance, and some face time with the man.

One thing that impresses me most about Jake's performance is his consumate professionalism. Jake is a pro....and he performs like one. I just recently got A Fine Pink Mist for my birthday, hence the board name. I haven't listened to anything else for about a week.

Interestingly, I can get a good generic Jake tone from my Gibson MIII, a guitar cord, and my Fender Prosonic combo. I am glad for the board.

--SF

Killer of Giants

Re: Hi guys. New member, here. Introduction.

Postby Deansolo » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:37 am

Welcome to the board! :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Postby Fretman » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:04 pm

Welcome and enjoy!

Secret Loser

Postby seasons » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:25 pm

Was either of the picks a "Ray Who?" one? If so, what color? Did you hold on to them?

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:34 pm

Welcome to the board! 8) What a cool Jake encounter you had...he seems to make a lasting impression on everyone who's ever been lucky enough to spend time with him.

Postby jefnel1 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:41 pm

A warm welcome and thanks for providing the date for the Big Dog's show!
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

Postby Soulfinger » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:26 am

seasons wrote:Was either of the picks a "Ray Who?" one? If so, what color? Did you hold on to them?

No, the picks were like a Fender heavy tortoise shell color but they just had his signature embossed on the pics in gold paint on one side. The other side was plain. They had no brand name listed, but they are definitely heavy picks.

I was extremely pleased with myself, because the pick wear looked just like my own, where the opposing edges wear away at about a 45 degree angle and leave pick dust all over the guitar. As per the OP, I model my playing very closely on his, including his infamous pick attack. The only thing that revealed they were Jake's and not mine (besides his signature, I mean) was the grooves cut in the edges from doing pick slides. He did this weird thing where he uses his thumb as a capo and frets really wide intervals. Well, you can tell he uses those grooves in the picks to accentuate the picking when he hits the notes that way, combining to make a very strange effect that only Jake uses.

Go here to see it live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWAohdmCl4o

And yes, Jake makes a very good impression. While he was on stage playing he handed the picks directly to me, sticking them in my hand and making sure I had a grip on them before he released them. He wanted to make sure I got them because he could tell from how I just watched him and ignored the rest of the band that I was there to see him, and I most certainly was. That was a very intimate gesture that only one guitar player to another would perform. He had nothing but kind words when I asked for the autograph and photo.

Now, for those who have not met Jake, somebody lists on his bios that he is 5' 9" tall. That ain't right. Trust me. He MIGHT be 5' 2"....his head came up to my chin. He is a little guy with little hands and shortish fingers.....which makes his playing all the more phenomenal, because he isn't tall and scrawny like Vai with 5-inch fingers.

Thanks all!

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:27 am

Soulfinger wrote: like Vai with 5-inch fingers.

Yngwie also has 5" fingers ... and I'm not talking length here :P
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Postby jefnel1 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:30 am

Haha. Nice crack on Yngwie, MetalHead!
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

All Access Member

Postby Gonzo » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:30 am

Can you post pictures of the picks? I`d like to see what grooves you mean!

Postby Soulfinger » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:28 am

Gonzo wrote:Can you post pictures of the picks? I`d like to see what grooves you mean!

I don't have a digital camera, so it might be awhile!

Take one of th elong edges of a pick and hold it perpendicular to the long axis of all the strings, at a 90 degree angle to the guitar pickups. Scrape the E, A, and D strings to make grooves in the pick.

Those are the grooves to which I referred.

All Access Member

Postby Gonzo » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:37 pm

Cool stuff. So it increases pick attack?

All Access Member

Postby Snowy » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:36 pm

TY so much for sharing your story. I love reading about encounters people had with Jake. Welcome *waves*

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby THOR » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:24 am

Soulfinger, Welcome to the board. I was also at that show at Big Dogs. Several friends and I were hanging around out front that afternoon and got to meet Jake as he arrived. The band was inside doing soundcheck as Jake pulled in. He greeted us and said he had to go as the band was playing without him. We were all bummed and when he saw this he said he could hang for a few minutes. Out come the records, guitars & camera! He was very cool, signed everything and took pictures. Everyone but me got a pick from him, he didn't have enough in his pocket for all of us. Really a nice guy. And the show rocked!!

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:30 am

jefnel1 wrote:Haha. Nice crack on Yngwie, MetalHead!

on the other hand ... imagine the size of his frets :twisted: :P
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Next

Return to All things Jake E Lee...