New member.. long time Jake fan

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

New member.. long time Jake fan

Postby AlanC » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:16 am

I'm new here, but have been a Jake fan since 85.. Hello !!

But i've always wondered, does anyone know why Jake doesn't make
more music, is there a reason??

Alan

Killer of Giants

Re: New member.. long time Jake fan

Postby Deansolo » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:40 pm

Hey Alan! Welcome to the board. :)

I don't know if anyone can answer that question but the man himself, unfortunately. :|
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Postby jakebrake » Thu May 31, 2007 9:23 am

alan, i am also a huge jake fan who downst come to this board much at all. Jake is pure enigma, but is so talented and as a guitarist, I respect him so much.

Obviously lots of jake love here, but his latest cover record was good. new tunes i never would have heard. would love to meet jake again and just chat...

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Thu May 31, 2007 7:13 pm

Welcome to the board, Alan and Jakebrake :D

Postby Soulfinger » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:16 am

If you read the few interviews Jake has given, you can get the sense that he himself understands that what he does is basically beyond the ability of music industry A&R reps to grasp. A&R folks are not normally players themselves, having generally legal backgrounds. In the case of Yngwie or Vinne Moore, nobody really cares about their compositional skills....the shredding is what's important, and the marketing target demographic will buy the product even when the songs suck. Jake isn't a shredder. He is a phenomenal guitarist and a professional musician, but he's also a composer, a producer, etc. He won't just perform scalar warmups, record them, and call it an album. It has to have an artistic purpose, because apparently just getting paid isn't good enough for Jake or we'd have a lot more Jake CDs laying around the house.

Jake won't compromise sonic quality for marketability. He's an artist and takes it seriously. He took a swing on the Rock Star thing with Ozzy, and it burned him. I think it's pretty clear that Jake has a love/hate thing going with stardom. It's also obvious that he enjoys a very fluid time sense. Everything about the guy is just "different". That's his primary appeal for me....his oddity and uniqueness. He wouldn't be Jake if he was like Yngwie......and I wouldn't be a loyal fan. Christ, when I met him, he had an audience of about 100 people in Cedar Rapids, IA, and acted liek he was onstage at the US Festival...he's a total pro.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:49 am

Although I agree with some of you points soulfinger, I will take one step further. Most people, like the AR folks you mention, could care less about shredding, guitar playing, and musicianship. The only people that care about that are 1) either guitar players, or musicians themselves or 2) people that wish they could play guitar to that level, or 3) just fans of that music.

Most people only care about songs. All the rest is just filler. Take Queen for example (see my post in the other forum for the reason; just happens to be on the brain), they had some outstanding compositions, but the best selling song they ever had was "Another One Bites the Dust". Simple song, no solo, no much to it really. But is sold a shit load of copies.

Musical integrity is a luxury of bands like Rush, Yes, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc that have a huge fan base regardless of what the masses are listening too, but still, is probably in the minority. Jake will never get to that level of those bands no matter what he does because he has been out of it for so long. Not sure he ever aspired to be there anyway. He always made music for himself.

Postby Fretman » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:08 am

I get the sense that we haven't heard the last from Jake. Who knows...he could pop out of the shadows with something new tomorrow. Of course I won't hold my breath, but who knows what he might be working on.

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:10 am

I think everyone has the misguided impression that Jake sits around holed up in his house like a recluse. Nothing could be further from the truth. Jake is out and about in Las Vegas. In fact my ad-guy called a few weeks ago and mentioned he ran into Jake. They had a great talk...even discussed their Cat's-Eye pedals! :lol: (shameless plug! ) :P

I have to agree with Fretman...We haven't heard the last from Jake E Lee. :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com

All Access Member

Postby nazgul666 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:00 am

Hey new member here. Yeah I agree. As long as he is still out and about its going to hit him that the time is getting near to put something out. There seems to be a buzz about him lately, like threads popping up on Harmony Central and stuff. Its all positive too. There is a lot of love for Jake out there. If he hooked up with a good singer and put out a hard rocking album the guitar community would go nuts.

Mike

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:27 pm

Although as private as the legendary Rebel Jake E. Lee (Ozzy Osbourne & Badlands fame) is...'his about doing his music thing Project(s) in all: recently I saw "again" that cool Cats eye pedals new ad of his in that Vintage Guitar/July 07 magazine and his mentioned in the most recent Hit Parader special issue Summer 2007 Top 100 Guitarists, Vocalists and Bassists & Drummers, his/JAKE E. LEE is #61 (but personally feel he should of been in the top 30 at least! And his Comrade in arms Badlands Vocalist Ray Gillen is #100 & I personally feel that the very Soulful Rocker gritty Swan should of been in the top 25 list!)...on the Top 100 Heavy Guitarists list and it so states that he/Jake is still about doing Projects here & there and is very much "missed" on the music scene and strongly suggested for him to be more out there for he is missed, indeed being one of the most electric Hard Rock/Blues Guitarist to have come out emerged from the Los Angelos music scene: it warmly embraced and encouraged the Rebel Guitarist Jake E. Lee to the Music scene fold that he so "vitally added" his energies & masterworks to, to please continue on in which he is doing in his own way. Peace and much respects...'Can't wait to hear and see what the Rebel Rocker Jake E. Lee has in store for his fans next 'cause "Retraced" was such an "awesome" surprise as is "A Fine Pink Mist" is so spectacular, so "please" do it again-I look forward to more of your electric new grooves to hit the music scene, again & again and again :!: 8) :twisted: GodBless. AND welcome, AlanC to the JakeE.Lee.com Website message board. Cheers!

Postby Gene » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:36 pm

MR.DEANSOLO HAVENT HEARD FROM U IN A WHILE,HOPE ALL IS WELL YOUR WAY!!BACK 2 WORK AFTER NECK SURGERY ALL IS WELL U ALWAYS GIVE ME THE BEST AND LATEST ON THE MASTER LEE, SO WHAT IS THE NEW?? TU GENE

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:38 am

Gene wrote:MR.DEANSOLO HAVENT HEARD FROM U IN A WHILE,HOPE ALL IS WELL YOUR WAY!!BACK 2 WORK AFTER NECK SURGERY ALL IS WELL U ALWAYS GIVE ME THE BEST AND LATEST ON THE MASTER LEE, SO WHAT IS THE NEW?? TU GENE

Hey Gene! great to hear your doin' well after your surgery! :) All's well on the Cat's-Eye front....Same on the personal front...thanks!

Not much to report on Mr. Lee. I'll let ya know if I hear anything. :)

Dean
www.cats-eyeesp.com

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby rice_pudding » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:08 pm

i think jake will come out with some new stuff someday. Maybe he just needs to find the right kind of people to form a band with. If he came across a good enough opportunity he might find it too tempting to turn down?

p.s. hey deansolo nice to see you over hear! :)

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:26 pm

rice_pudding wrote:i think jake will come out with some new stuff someday. Maybe he just needs to find the right kind of people to form a band with. If he came across a good enough opportunity he might find it too tempting to turn down?

p.s. hey deansolo nice to see you over hear! :)

Hey rice_pudding, nice to see you too. :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com

Postby Soulfinger » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:05 am

It also sounds to me like he got pretty "jaded" (pardon the pun...god) after Badlands self-destructed and Atlantic/Titanium pulled their contract.

That should've been a HUGE band.....they had everything.....songs, looks, image, timing (hard blues just when metal died and grunge was born), but Atlantic refused to invest in marketing them properly. I read a 2000 or 2002 interview online (can't remember where just...probably still out there...google jake e lee interview) where he sounds REALLY sarcastic and a little bitter about some things. The flat reception to Fine Pink Mist I suspect didn't help (you can tell he poured a lot into that project), and I don't know how Retraced or the tribute stuff has sold....can't be many units. When other 80s metal folks, like Dee Snyder, etc., are capitalizing on their fame from the 1980s and Jake is not it makes me think also he just likes to keep it on the down low and real. He's a private guy.

Next

Return to All things Jake E Lee...