all things edie van halen

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

all things edie van halen

Postby crisguitar » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:13 am

first off ur favouite guitar?...insert ur pics here dudes and babes!

All Access Member

Re: all things edie van halen

Postby RandyRhoadsRules! » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:36 am

its eddie haha but my favorite guitar has to be the yellow stripe sound aint that special but the look is great and it feels good

Secret Loser

Postby Hell_Tanner » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:34 am

The first guitar I ever saw Eddie play with his the Shark, the Ibanez Destroyer he cut out with a chainsaw. So I'd say that one:

But the Frankenstrat too because it's him, because he could make that piece of crap scream like no other:

Anyway, it's really hard to pick up just one, Eddie came up with such great guitars.
Formerly known as \"Berseker\"

Tommy Bolin Forum

Killer of Giants

Postby crisguitar » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:52 am

thts sweet

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:04 am

I know this is going to upset some people but IMO EVH has always been way overated. I mean dont get me wrong the dude is one hell of a guitar player but i havent heard anything stunning from him since the 1984 album.

Secret Loser

Postby Hell_Tanner » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:15 am

:roll:

Tommy Bolin Forum

Postby Fretman » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:20 am

harddriver wrote:I know this is going to upset some people but IMO EVH has always been way overated. I mean dont get me wrong the dude is one hell of a guitar player but i havent heard anything stunning from him since the 1984 album.

I'm going to have to disagree. Eddie opened a whole new chapter in rock guitar. I don't know a rock/metal guitar player on this earth that wouldn't give his left nut to accomplish all that Eddie has. There's no way to determine the number of guitarists that he has influenced. EVH was the reason I bought my first guitar. People will still be talking about Eddie after he, and all of the rest of us are long dead.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:20 am

I'd still like him with one of these ... :twisted:

this is also kinda cool :)

but I think I'll have to go with one of the Kramers :D
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby crisguitar » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:21 am

harddriver----------hmmmmmm ok dude 2 words michael jackson...but fair point

Secret Loser

Postby Hell_Tanner » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:29 am

crisguitar wrote:harddriver----------hmmmmmm ok dude 2 words michael jackson...but fair point

So what? Eddie did his solo on "Beat It" for FREE. Just think about it, it's ridiculous.

People, I mean WHITE people started buying Michael Jackson's albums because they heard that solo. It literally merged black music and white music, a video clip of a black man was shown on MTV. That was seldom seen before the success of Beat It.
It's that important.

Plus this solo is amazing, it's still one of the best EVH solo for the hardcore fans, people and young guitarists still want to learn it and it's an intense display of EVH style.

You just can't bash Eddie for that.

Tommy Bolin Forum

Secret Loser

Postby Hell_Tanner » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:36 am

Fretman wrote:
harddriver wrote:I know this is going to upset some people but IMO EVH has always been way overated. I mean dont get me wrong the dude is one hell of a guitar player but i havent heard anything stunning from him since the 1984 album.

I'm going to have to disagree. Eddie opened a whole new chapter in rock guitar. I don't know a rock/metal guitar player on this earth that wouldn't give his left nut to accomplish all that Eddie has. There's no way to determine the number of guitarists that he has influenced. EVH was the reason I bought my first guitar. People will still be talking about Eddie after he, and all of the rest of us are long dead.

Exactly.

There are the same kind of comments made about Jimi Hendrix too. Yes, he had nights off, yes he played dead notes, yes he wasn't perfect.
But there is guitar playing before and after Jimi Hendrix just like there is guitar playing (and building) before and after Eddie Van Halen.
They just changed the way people played and envisionned the instrument, they revolutionized it.
So, NO, they're NOT overrated.

Tommy Bolin Forum

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:27 pm

Man i knew i should of just kept that one to myself but like i said thats just my opinion. I never said the dude wasnt a great guitar player because that is a given but after the 80's when he got with Hagar all of his stuff started sounding alike. It just seems that when Roth left so did the adventure in Van Halen's music. Like if you take ou812 and 5150 both of those albums sound almost identical and pretty boring. Just giving my opinion on ol Eddie and think how boring life would be if we all agreed on everything all of the time. C.C DEVILLE and POISON decalre WAR on all PROG/POWER METAL :lol: just kidding. Man im am bored today.

Secret Loser

Postby Hell_Tanner » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:17 pm

harddriver wrote:Man i knew i should of just kept that one to myself but like i said thats just my opinion. I never said the dude wasnt a great guitar player because that is a given but after the 80's when he got with Hagar all of his stuff started sounding alike. It just seems that when Roth left so did the adventure in Van Halen's music. Like if you take ou812 and 5150 both of those albums sound almost identical and pretty boring.

Well, do you really think each DLR era albums sound tremendously different?
Let's face it, the first three albums are no different as much as I love them. VHII is almost a copy of VHI. These three albums have the same songlist formula: the headbanger, the poppy one, the bluesy one, the funny one, the guitar solo, etc... Diver Down, as much as I like this album, was a quick cash in, courtesy of DLR who asked the band to do half covers half originals and head out on the road as fast as possible.
Fair Warning and 1984 are somewhat different because Ed started taking control, he added keyboards etc, you know the stuff.
Frankly, I don't think they really took a lot of chances during the DLR era, they rather stayed true to a certain formula with very little differences due to different things: label pressure, tensions and egos in the band.

The Hagar era, that's where Eddie started taking chances and experimenting I think. 5150 and OU812 sound alike? Well, granted, kinda.
But come on, FUCK is so different, same for Balance: new production, new sounds and VHIII, even if it's one of the most hated VH album, it's certainly the most adventurous album they've ever recorded. Hell, they don't even sound like VH on certain songs!

I can understand you prefer Classic Van Halen over Van Hagar, no problem with that. It's two different bands, two different directions, EVH's band, whatever.
But, I don't know, I have hard time with that kind of argument.

Tommy Bolin Forum

Killer of Giants

Postby crisguitar » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:26 pm

Hell_Tanner wrote:
harddriver wrote:Man i knew i should of just kept that one to myself but like i said thats just my opinion. I never said the dude wasnt a great guitar player because that is a given but after the 80's when he got with Hagar all of his stuff started sounding alike. It just seems that when Roth left so did the adventure in Van Halen's music. Like if you take ou812 and 5150 both of those albums sound almost identical and pretty boring.

Well, do you really think each DLR era albums sound tremendously different?
Let's face it, the first three albums are no different as much as I love them. VHII is almost a copy of VHI. These three albums have the same songlist formula: the headbanger, the poppy one, the bluesy one, the funny one, the guitar solo, etc... Diver Down, as much as I like this album, was a quick cash in, courtesy of DLR who asked the band to do half covers half originals and head out on the road as fast as possible.
Fair Warning and 1984 are somewhat different because Ed started taking control, he added keyboards etc, you know the stuff.
Frankly, I don't think they really took a lot of chances during the DLR era, they rather stayed true to a certain formula with very little differences due to different things: label pressure, tensions and egos in the band.

The Hagar era, that's where Eddie started taking chances and experimenting I think. 5150 and OU812 sound alike? Well, granted, kinda.
But come on, FUCK is so different, same for Balance: new production, new sounds and VHIII, even if it's one of the most hated VH album, it's certainly the most adventurous album they've ever recorded. Hell, they don't even sound like VH on certain songs!

I can understand you prefer Classic Van Halen over Van Hagar, no problem with that. It's two different bands, two different directions, EVH's band, whatever.
But, I don't know, I have hard time with that kind of argument.

dude i am going to take my hat off to u an to harddriver who started this u hav just made me realise that yeh he was god but things sometimes hav to be constantly god like 4 him 2 be THE GOD
i am pleased u took the time to make me realise this!!!!!!! ...but i love him still

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:57 pm

Ya know i just got to looking at my CD's and if im not mistaken i think i have Every Van Halen album since 1984 :? So maybe i like ol Eddie a little more than i thought.

Next

Return to Free for all...