Slide Guitaring...

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Slide Guitaring...

Postby Shadow » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:12 pm

I hope this is not a silly question for I'm not a musician/and don't know anything about guitar playing: but I'm curious what is exactly the music term "slide guitaring" what does that mean? Has Jake E. Lee ever done any slide guitaring/and if so on what songs has he done this skillful techique on. Plus,is there anything special type of gadget that goes along with this strange music skill. I sorta think it has a Bayou grass vibe to it/a Southen Soul vibe feel. Peace. 8)

Secret Loser

Re: Slide Guitaring...

Postby seasons » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:28 pm

Check out the song "Voodoo Highway" from the second album to hear Jake play slide. It's done with a glass or steel cylinder on one finger.

Postby skezza » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:32 pm

Seasons pretty much summed it up. You basically place a cylinder on usually your pinky or third finger and you lightly press the strings. You dont press them like you would press a fret, because with slide guitar your aim isnt to actually touch the frets themselves. It makes a beautifal sound and yes Voodoo Highway is just one of a few songs Jake used it on :).
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:48 pm

Thanks, Skezza & Seasons for your fine responses and not making me feel out of character/a netwit for such a question. My curiosty has been answered: I've wondered often what that term meant "slide-guitaring" and I have seened our Blues Rockin' Rebel Jake E. Lee wear some sort of gadget (so mentioned above in the re-plies) on his baby finger when playing certain songs and his movement is very "swift & smooth" in a blink of a eye/I do believe that the vintage Classic Badlands "In A Dream" uses this style of playin, very smooth & gritty Bayou. Cool, thanks once again. 8)

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Demon_A_Go-Go » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:35 pm

Skezza,Seosons,

to complete your answers I would like to add another excellent example.This time is Zakk Wylde's song No more tears.The tune opens with impressive bass lick and just after it Zakk joines on slide guitar,he slides gradiently past the fretboard .Note that he is using quite distorted settings ,and that's why his slide effect sounds so heavy and bluesy,of course extra heaviness is attained as a result of the low tuned guitar.

Also there are many players using sildes successfully but in my opinion Frank Hannon (the curly guy from Tesla) achieves very clean articulation and solid touch.

Postby skezza » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:24 am

Demon_A_Go-Go wrote:Skezza,Seosons,

to complete your answers I would like to add another excellent example.This time is Zakk Wylde's song No more tears.The tune opens with impressive bass lick and just after it Zakk joines on slide guitar,he slides gradiently past the fretboard .Note that he is using quite distorted settings ,and that's why his slide effect sounds so heavy and bluesy,of course extra heaviness is attained as a result of the low tuned guitar.

Also there are many players using sildes successfully but in my opinion Frank Hannon (the curly guy from Tesla) achieves very clean articulation and solid touch.
Nazareth - Bad Bad Boy ;) 8)
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Killer of Giants

Postby SDBinNY » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:11 am

Shot In The Dark has some slide at the beginning of the solo. As for slide, some of the best rock slide is in Foghat's material, so check out "Slow Ride" if you get a chance(my age is showing here). As for actually using one, it is not as easy as it looks. It takes a lot of practice to get it down.

Come to think of it, I should probably dig mine up, I machined one out of bronze. Heavy as hell but solid and toneful..

Postby evilpete » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:17 pm

Slow Ride is one of the first songs on Guitar Hero III!! :)

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:45 pm

Thanks you guys for your fine input on "Guitar Sliding" ...'I sorta know what it was & have seen that gadget tool-finger gear object/that Jake wear's quite alot when playing on stage and just was totally curious what it was for it made his Guitar sound like the "river/nice Bayou groove" I like that sound. I bet it's pretty complex to master, to get it going smoothly & lazy river sounding like that. "Streets Cry Freedom" definately has this Bayou sound. Once again, "thanks" for the cool replies feed back. Cheers! :o

It was kindly mentioned to me that the movie "Cross Roads" has some pretty cool footage of Guitar Sliding being performed by Steve Vai before he made his grand debut with the David Lee Roth band..."thanks" for the nice letter e-mail/note (Andy). Peace!

Postby aldear » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:13 pm

Hi Shadow,
Actually the slide guitar in CrossRoads was mocked on screen by Ralph Macchio, and actually played and performed by Ry Cooder. The footage of Steve Vai to my knowledge doesn't contain any slide, but is smokin' hot none the less....22 years later it's still one of my favorite guitar performances..

Here is a link to a clip of "Feelin Bad Blues" from the Movie. At 1:05 you can see the glass slide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDHHyB3a ... re=related

Andy

Return to All things Jake E Lee...