Underrated Guitarists

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Re: Underrated Guitarists

Postby Moose6 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:16 am

Queensryche has never been the same since Chris DeGarmo left.

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:12 am

rockinrye wrote:
pejale wrote:Andy Summers from the Police??

I'll second that .

And my boy Chris Degarmo , facinating player .I just wish he would stop flying airplanes and make some music.

ooh yea on Chris :). Yep, sure do miss his playing.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby rockinrye » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:34 pm

Moose6 wrote:Queensryche has never been the same since Chris DeGarmo left.

A coupla records back (Tribe ) Chris was given credits on 2 songs "Open " and "Desert Dance".

The is last I have heard of him. He did release an E.P some years back called " Spys 4 Darwin".

If anyone has any information on the above mentioned release , please infor me .

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:23 pm

rockinrye wrote:

A coupla records back (Tribe ) Chris was given credits on 2 songs "Open " and "Desert Dance".

The is last I have heard of him. He did release an E.P some years back called " Spys 4 Darwin".

If anyone has any information on the above mentioned release , please infor me .

I've got a copy of the Spys4Darwin disc entitled Microfish. It was a project that he did with Mike Inez, who was Heart's bass player at the time. It was being sold through the Heart website, which is where I got my copy.

All Access Member

Postby _will_ » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:25 pm

Steve Clark from Def Leppard, his earlier work on High n Dry and Pyromania seems to quite define NWOBHM.

Don't know whether he can be classed as underrated, huge commercial success, but I am not aware of any rock star status he had in the 80s, wasn't around then :P

All Access Member

Postby reborn » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:11 pm

Frank Hannon from Tesla, the guitar player from Shotgun Messiah, and the guitar player from Spread Eagle!!! Sorry, can't think of names.

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:22 pm

_will_ wrote:Steve Clark from Def Leppard, his earlier work on High n Dry and Pyromania seems to quite define NWOBHM.

Don't know whether he can be classed as underrated, huge commercial success, but I am not aware of any rock star status he had in the 80s, wasn't around then :P

got to agree with steve......he was definitely underrated, probably because of the rockstar status of his band. most people still don't realise how great musically def leppard were up to and including hysteria, some of the guitar lines and interaction are amazing

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:10 pm

_will_ wrote:Steve Clark from Def Leppard, his earlier work on High n Dry and Pyromania seems to quite define NWOBHM.

No way was Steve Clark overrated :lol: , he was a "terror twin"!

But I agree that he was badass!!!!

The live stuff on bootleg is just amazing. I wore the hell out of my High and Dry cassette back in the 80s.

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:13 pm

I am a huge QR fan but his last disc with them Hear In The Now Frontier was awful and he wrote most of the album. Chris also came back for 2003's Tribe for a few tunes that were so so. Would I want him to come back? Hell yes, I miss the chemistry with him and Mike Wilton. Definitely an underrated musician.

All Access Member

Postby _will_ » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:58 am

Well, with the pairing of Phil Collen, I think Steve was overshadowed by the more fast runs that Phil did, and the earlier songs that were just epic stories written by steve, you can see the effort that went into such songs as; die hard the hunter, too late for love, and gods of war.
my point being... although the band was highly rated, was there the focus on the guitar hero idol in the band? and I believe that Phil would have been the guitar hero of Lep for the 80s (superstrat etc)
and his early death didn't elevate his status as much as Dime for example

Postby jefnel1 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:06 am

Other than the obvious choice, Jake E Lee, Gary Hoey is my pick. He's such a fun guitar player. He doesn't take himself that seriously, but yet he has enormous talent.
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

All Access Member

Postby Jim2368ca » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:17 am

_will_ wrote:Well, with the pairing of Phil Collen, I think Steve was overshadowed by the more fast runs that Phil did, and the earlier songs that were just epic stories written by steve, you can see the effort that went into such songs as; die hard the hunter, too late for love, and gods of war.
my point being... although the band was highly rated, was there the focus on the guitar hero idol in the band? and I believe that Phil would have been the guitar hero of Lep for the 80s (superstrat etc)
and his early death didn't elevate his status as much as Dime for example

I don't think Dime's death elevated his status at all. The guy was a amazing player extremely social and ready to talk to anyone as well as one of the very few who remember that some people wanted to hear solos in songs. Steve was a Fantastic player and very overshadowed by Collen. A lot of people tend to forget Pete Willis when talking about Def Leppard. Pete was great and those first two LPs rocked it's too bad he was ousted and seemed to disappear.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:36 am

jefnel1 wrote:Other than the obvious choice, Jake E Lee, Gary Hoey is my pick. He's such a fun guitar player. He doesn't take himself that seriously, but yet he has enormous talent.

Gary is a cool player. I forgot all about him and you are right, he has a ton of talent.

Postby Fretman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:51 pm

Chris Poland....way underrated.

All Access Member

Postby Jim2368ca » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:04 pm

Fretman wrote:Chris Poland....way underrated.

No Kidding .... and a hell of a nice guy to boot !!!

PreviousNext

Return to Free for all...