Underrated Guitarists

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Ultimate Sinner

Re: Underrated Guitarists

Postby rockinrye » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:37 am

Gutterflower wrote:
mrmetal wrote:Wolf had some awesome riffs and his soloing was very melodic and memorable, I miss Accept

I saw Accept open for Dio during Last In Line tour - that was a kickASS lineup :P

WOW I forgot about Wolf Hoffman ! I saw them(Accept) with Dio and I saw them open for WASP on the Headless Childeren tour

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:32 am

Yeah, me too. Back when cassettes were the thing, I had all of Accepts stuff. Wolf was a monster. Also, agree about Dan Huff from Giant.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby rockinrye » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:45 pm

Has anyone mentioned Mark Kendall from Great White?

Being lost in the 80's hair thing, they boy can play , and I love his sound .

One of the few hard bands I never got too see . I don't think they have toured up here since the early 90's .

All Access Member

Postby jimiforrest » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:22 pm

Mark Kendall is a serious player. His 2.0 album is very different musically and he is very tasteful on the Great White material. Great White just played here this past Saturday. My new band, Sierra's Faith, was scheduled to open the show...but due to some political and logistical issues we couldn't do the show. Sierra's Faith is currently recording our debut CD in Florida (part of the logistical part of our cancellation).

The first time I saw Badlands live was on the Great White/Tesla/Badlands bill here at the Patriot Center in Fairfax, VA. That was one of the better shows I've seen.

Jimi

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:54 am

Doobie wrote:
Another hardly mentioned is Mark Kendall. Never cared too much for the tunes from Great White that got air time. But, if you listen to the "B" tracks you can find some real gems from Kendall 8O

yesssssss :wink:

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:42 am

I agree totally with the Mark Kendall statements. None of that Great White shit was hard to play or spectacular, but they wrote some kick ass, catchy guitar hooks and the solos were alway spot on with the songs. I enjoyed the hell out of Great White back in the day and always loved jamming those tunes with friends when we got together.

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:58 am

mrmetal wrote:I agree totally with the Mark Kendall statements. None of that Great White shit was hard to play or spectacular, but they wrote some kick ass, catchy guitar hooks and the solos were alway spot on with the songs. I enjoyed the hell out of Great White back in the day and always loved jamming those tunes with friends when we got together.

Barely old enough to even talk, my daughter knew almost every word to Once Bitten Twice Shy. It wasn't my doing but, I guess it was a catchy enough tune that she caught onto it quickly. I recall many times her sitting in her car seat singing, "my my my, once bitten twice shy baybuh". :D

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:47 pm

Doobie wrote:Barely old enough to even talk, my daughter knew almost every word to Once Bitten Twice Shy. It wasn't my doing but, I guess it was a catchy enough tune that she caught onto it quickly. I recall many times her sitting in her car seat singing, "my my my, once bitten twice shy baybuh". :D

haha... yeah, I caught my son singing "giving the dog a bone..." the other day. I sure hope he isn't singing that at school.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:53 pm

mrmetal wrote:
Doobie wrote:Barely old enough to even talk, my daughter knew almost every word to Once Bitten Twice Shy. It wasn't my doing but, I guess it was a catchy enough tune that she caught onto it quickly. I recall many times her sitting in her car seat singing, "my my my, once bitten twice shy baybuh". :D

haha... yeah, I caught my son singing "giving the dog a bone..." the other day. I sure hope he isn't singing that at school.

:lol: I wonder if he actually knows what that song is talking about?

~Brian~

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:58 pm

I know that my next selection is well respected in the metal community, but overall I'm not sure?

Jeff Waters - Annihilator

~Brian~

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:10 pm

mrmetal wrote:

Glad you brought that up because I wasn't going to share this but, with yours said, I will.

My daughter had a very favorite 80's hairband song. Every time the song came on, whether in the car or in the house, she would sing (on key I might add) "smootha bin ya". Only years later did she discover the words were actually "smooth up in ya"!! :oops: But, the story doesn't end there. The other day I ran across some old cassette tapes. When she was just a toddler I bought her a Playskool rugged and tough cassette player. She carried that thing around EVERYWHERE with her. So, I put one of the cassettes in the player to see what it was as it was not marked. To my joyful surprise it was one of her homemade Playskool tapes. There were a lot of lapses between sentences and such so I just let it play on as I went about cleaning the house. One of her singing episodes on tape included the Married With Children theme song Love and Marriage which totally cracked me up. Then she jumped right in to Old McDonald Had A Farm. But, the shocker came just a short time later. There it was! "smoooootha bin ya. Where i wanna go, where i wanna gooooo". OMG! 8O That little bitty voice of hers singing that song again! So funny. Anyway, when she got home that night I told her to flip on the stereo and play the cassette in the deck. I had rewound it to the perfect spot at the beginning of her smootha bin ya rendition. Needless to say, we both laughed so hard we had tears in our eyes. She can't believe I let her go around singing that song. Hell, she didn't have the words right - no harm done the way I see it. BTW she loves that song still and I wouldn't take a million dollars for that cassette! :lol:

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Demon_A_Go-Go » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:43 am

Mark Kendall has very high score in my personal list.His style is amazing ,as previous posts stated he does not shine like an enormous technical player ,but his riffs,solos and overall work are excellent .i would like to mention my favs : mista bone ,house of the broken love and rock me.Rock me is one of the strongest compositions he's ever recorded.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Demon_A_Go-Go » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:34 am

Hey Doobie pretty good story.Keep rockin these old cassettes :D

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:00 pm

What about Elliot Easton of The Cars? some of the stuff he came up with is crazy difficult to play. Would have liked to see him rock out a little more though.

All Access Member

Postby BlackHeaven » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:47 pm

Matthias Jabs never gets the props that he deserves, but when you're the follow up act to Mad Mikey and Uli Roth, it's kind of understandable.

Billy Gibbons doesn't get nearly enough credit for what he accomplished, plus he gets to show up on Bones every once in a while.

Peter Green, the original under-rated guitar hero, was just as good as his peers Clapton, Beck, and Page but is now more or less forgotten. The original Fleetwood Mac was aweome. Hell, if there was no Pete Green, there would have been no "Black Magic Woman" for Santana to cover... or Green Manalishi for Judas Priest to cover either.

Tommy Bolin, another drug casualty, put out two bitchin solo records, played on one of Billy Cobham's (he of Mahavishnu Orchestra fame) discs and oh yeah, was good enough to replace Joe Walsh in The James Gang and Ritchie Blackmore in Deep Purple.

And when are people gonna wise up and give Mick Mars some love? He may not be a shredder but damn it if he didn't come up with some of the coolest guitar lines ever. Those unison bends at the end of "You're All I Need" friggin slay!

PreviousNext

Return to Free for all...