Gtr builders: I got the string spacing hardtail bridge blues

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Rock N' Roll Rebel
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Washington State

Gtr builders: I got the string spacing hardtail bridge blues

Postby Alkeys » Thu May 08, 2008 9:04 pm

So I have to share with you what happened and get your input.

I have a hardtail Warmoth strat body with a regular allparts vintage hardtail bridge- nothing special- one like this
Allparts USA. This bridge has a string spacing of 2 and 3/16 inches.

I then bought a JEL bridge from allparts japan but the bridge will not fit on my warmoth body- the string spacing appears to be different. I cannot read japanese so does anyone know what the string spacing is of the JEL bridge on the Allparts japan website? Where can I get a guitar body that will accept the string spacing of the JEL bridge from allparts japan?

Thanks!

Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 268
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: Earth

Re: Gtr builders: I got the string spacing hardtail bridge b

Postby jefnel1 » Fri May 09, 2008 5:32 am

Try making the string-thru holes in the Warmoth body bigger to accomodate the new bridge. Only don't drill the holes larger all the way through. Just drill in about 1 inch being careful to to affect the string ferrules on the backside. This should not affect playability once the new bridge is installed.

I know exactly what you're going through. The standard replacement hardtails most companies sell (Allparts, Gotoh, Fender) are sub-par quality, and they all have different string spacing. There should be a standard but until there is, we'll all have to modify the bodies of our customs to accept them.
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

Rock N' Roll Rebel
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: Gtr builders: I got the string spacing hardtail bridge b

Postby Alkeys » Fri May 09, 2008 11:20 am

Thanks Jefnel-

Yeah I should just buy a body routed for pickups and no holes anywhere and just drill them all myself.

Here's the problem though- even if the string holes did line up, I'd have to shave off part of the pickguard- where the top of the bridge touches the pickguard- the space between the bridge humbucker and the bridge itself on the pickguard.

HERE IS THE 10,000,0000 DOLLAR QUESTION OR THE BIGGEST MYSTERY YET TO BE SOLVED IN MY BOOK LOL- I'll give a high five and a beer to anyone that can solve this mystery:

[insert drum roll sound here] LOL

Ok supposedly jake's whitey guitar started out it's life as a 70s hardtail Fender- some people say a 1974. OK Fine, but a 74 Fender hardtail accepts a regular Fender hardtail bridge with a string spacing of 2 and 3/16 inches.

Here's where things get weird- sometime in the early 80s, Jake had to take off the Fender hardtail bridge with again with a spacing of 2 3/16 and he installed the famous Gotoh Japan bridge because of it's thicker baseplate, better tone etc... but a standard Gotoh bridge has a string spacing of 2 and 1/16th ???!!!!

So I'm wondering- did Jake have his guitar tech modify whitey to accept the bridge?

Some people get hung up on the reverse slant singlecoils- definitely unique but by far the most mysterious and unique part of Jake's guitars was the bridge. I wish in some interviews he'd demystify the whole thing.

Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:51 pm

Re: Gtr builders: I got the string spacing hardtail bridge blues

Postby G500XL » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:16 pm

I'm going to build me a Whitey too, and was thinking about the same thing with the orginal fender HT and the updated charvel or Gotoh bridge was the spacing the same? Is it also vintage or modern HT? I'm looking into the JEL bridge and a lefty Warmoth body.

Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 268
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: Earth

Re: Gtr builders: I got the string spacing hardtail bridge b

Postby jefnel1 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:07 am

Both the Gotoh and Fender HT suck because they do not stay in tune after string bends. Look on eBay for one of the new Charvel Wild Card hard tail bridges. They are available in Chrome and Black (rare). They are affordable now that they have been reproduced by Fender/Charvel. I have them on 2 of my guitars and they work very well.

A good second choice is the Hipshot hardtail bridge. I used this bridge on my custom Strat for years with no issues. They are unique looking and some folks don't like them for this reason.

On the spacing issue you can easily enlarge the holes with a hand drill and larger bit. Just be careful not to ream out too much wood. A drill press is better, but not necessary.
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:51 pm

Re: Gtr builders: I got the string spacing hardtail bridge b

Postby G500XL » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:10 pm

jefnel1 wrote:Both the Gotoh and Fender HT suck because they do not stay in tune after string bends. Look on eBay for one of the new Charvel Wild Card hard tail bridges. They are available in Chrome and Black (rare). They are affordable now that they have been reproduced by Fender/Charvel. I have them on 2 of my guitars and they work very well.

A good second choice is the Hipshot hardtail bridge. I used this bridge on my custom Strat for years with no issues. They are unique looking and some folks don't like them for this reason.

On the spacing issue you can easily enlarge the holes with a hand drill and larger bit. Just be careful not to ream out too much wood. A drill press is better, but not necessary.


Thanks for the info, I was also looking into the Charvel wild card HT.

All Access Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: NEW HAMPSHIRE

Re: Gtr builders: I got the string spacing hardtail bridge b

Postby Richard » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:21 am

Hi Alkeys

Warmoth has three different type of Hardtails options that I know of the Vintage spacing for single coil pickup and narrow spacing for Humbucker and fender spacing is same spacing as the CHARVEL guitars are because I have the same type hardtail bridge so I think that the JEL ALLPARTS bridge would fit.
The Warmoth body that you bought what one did you order it with if not the fender spacing one then order the right one from warmoth .
If you are set on the JEL bridge order that next body with the fender spacing.
Good Luck. :D :wink:
Richard

All Access Member
Posts: 1643
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Gtr builders: I got the string spacing hardtail bridge blues

Postby Shadow » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:25 pm

Wish, I could of been of help too but unfortunately I'm not a musician and don't know nothing about music-gear parts in all. But I must say you've got some pretty impressive help & answers from the musicians here that do know what your speaking about. All the best with your new music gear parts, Alkeys. peace! 8)
Alkeys wrote:So I have to share with you what happened and get your input.

I have a hardtail Warmoth strat body with a regular allparts vintage hardtail bridge- nothing special- one like this
Allparts USA. This bridge has a string spacing of 2 and 3/16 inches.

I then bought a JEL bridge from allparts japan but the bridge will not fit on my warmoth body- the string spacing appears to be different. I cannot read japanese so does anyone know what the string spacing is of the JEL bridge on the Allparts japan website? Where can I get a guitar body that will accept the string spacing of the JEL bridge from allparts japan?

Thanks!

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 2138
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Gtr builders: I got the string spacing hardtail bridge blues

Postby MetalHead » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:09 pm

Shadow wrote:Wish, I could of been of help too but unfortunately I'm not a musician and don't know nothing about music-gear parts in all. But I must say you've got some pretty impressive help & answers from the musicians here that do know what your speaking about. All the best with your new music gear parts, Alkeys. peace! 8)


see, this is what I don't get Shadow. you've constantly, during this
site has been active acknowledged that you don't know anything
about guitars and guitargear and it's 'surroundings', yet you constantly
have to post it in EVERY thread about this matter.

I get that you're a big fan of Jakes and his music, but now it just
looks like you're craving attention :!:
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Ultimate Sinner
User avatar
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:43 pm
Location: Pfäffikon , Gsteig, Ötikon- CH

Re: Gtr builders: I got the string spacing hardtail bridge blues

Postby Allfyve » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:41 pm

[center] :!: [/center]

Return to All things Jake E Lee...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests