What amps are you guys sportin?

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Rock N' Roll Rebel

What amps are you guys sportin?

Postby JR97 » Fri May 30, 2008 2:44 pm

I've seen a lot of threads about Jake guitars and others, but what amps are you guys using?

I"m back to playing 80's rock/metal with a new band and I got my Marshall 1/2 stack out of storage. I"ve also got a Roland JC-120 that'll front with sansamp stuff or my behringer v-amp pro.

My Marshall is an 80's Artist 3203. 30 Watt head. Cab is a slant 2x12 1965A.

I've been scouring craigslist and ebay for the 1996B 4x10 straight. So if any of you have you want to get rid of, drop me a line.

Re: What amps are you guys sportin?

Postby skezza » Fri May 30, 2008 4:04 pm

Hey JR,
Well sitting next to me funny as it sounds is two JCM800's on top of each other. Just temporarily anyway. One is the 1959 MKII 100W Reissue Head which is an absolute beast. No master volume, just single volumes for the inputs. I have not added the RR mod onto it, but ive got a good friend who is willing to do it for me if i want to, which is basically a bypass to have the channels twinned. Only 6 knobs on it, and two of those are volume knobs :P so its really pure and everything I add, puts more onto an already great sound. That is currently running into a 2x12 which is actually a combo, but i wanted to run the head :P at least temporarily. The 4x12 is actually in the garage, lets be honest, they are not the easiest pieces of kit to ship up the stairs. The combo is also a JCM800 but this time its one with the master volume, one input and reverb etc much more can go wrong i guess :P But they both sound amazing. They give a really incredible sound. The combo is also technically not mine ;) Its actually my fathers but he's quite content with me using it for the moment.

My other valve amp is an old Peavey Bravo 112. Nobody believes me when I say these are great amps. They really are! Made in the U.S.A, full valve, great distortion, the only thing is they are all PCB and probably the shitty components, but hey, as soon as they break ill replace them with medium spec components just to keep it on its feet. It really does have a pure sound and I can have it do the vintage AC30 sound (its a copy of an AC30 lets be honest) but also add loads of natural valve distortion and do the metal sound.

I also have a Crate 50 Watt transistor amp for in the house. Very undynamic. Does metal, and well, metal. Clean sound is pathetically poor, but it gets away with the fact it knocks out a really great smooth shaped metal sound!

My father is much more of an amplifier collector than myself. He has a number of amps that are very desirable, especially to me :P
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Postby jefnel1 » Fri May 30, 2008 5:23 pm

I've scaled down my rig to the reliable stuff. I'm still using my SansAmp PSA-1 through a 100w Mosvalve amp into a Mesa 4x12 cabinet with 200w EV speakers.

For jamming, I use my SansAmp GT-2 straight into channel 2 of the Mosvalve amp into a Marshall 4x12 cabinet with Celestion Greenbacks.

I've also hooked up a Line6 Guitarport to my PC and use an M-Audio Fasttrack for laying down quick tracks.

After owning several Marshall heads, a Mesa dual rectifier, a Peavey XXX and 5150, and a custom Voodoo Amps head, I've found that the SansAmp stuff gives me all the tone I need without a garage full of equipment.
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby JR97 » Fri May 30, 2008 7:22 pm

I'm seriously tempted to get a PSA-1. I had a Sansamp Original and loved it. Pain in the butt with the little dip switches, though. So I replaced it a Sansamp Tri-AC. It's a great unit. I've ran straight into the PA before and it worked great. I got a lot of comments about the tone and people wondering where all my amps were. They laughed when I pointed down to the stomper.

I've got the Sansamp Acoustic DI as well. It's a great piece to combine with a mic for recording.

I"ve also got a Mesa Boogie V-Twin pre-amp which is liking adding 3 more channels to my Marshall. Not quite rectifier sounding, but kick ass none the less.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby yellowshirtguy » Fri May 30, 2008 7:37 pm

I have a Peavey Valveking 112 tube combo that I usually plug straight into. Its really plain and the only effect it has is the reverb. I have a Digitech RP250 That I can use for effects if needed, but I don't really like the way it sounds so I don't use it.

For one speaker, this amp is LOUD!

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Nikki_Saixx » Sat May 31, 2008 11:03 am

Well, my "amp" is korean Samick, 15 Watt... :lol: It has no overdrive channel, I use Marshall Jackhammer JH-1 pedal with it. Well, I even recorded some tunes on this))

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Sat May 31, 2008 11:19 am

Sort-of masturplay with a Genz-Benz Tribal 60 watt head, two twelves Tribal cab, a wonderfully honest ( and, tastefully so) Dunlop Wah with more buttons, lights and giggity-giggity than Captain Kirk's wallet, some yellow chorus box which, essentially, gets kicked around for visual interest ( we'll call it "depth") , and that certain SCHMELMENBANGERDUENKELDEUSENLAGERHOFFMEIER, which I like to . . . well, everyday. :x

<- Just take a look at that, would you?! Hayell, yeah ! ! !
Last edited by frethead on Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Everyone will love you, just as long as you are a shooting star.

All Access Member

Postby _will_ » Sat May 31, 2008 11:45 am

JMP 2204 and JCM900, 2 heads stacked on top of a 4 x 12 with Celestion Sidewinders (UK's ansewr to the EV?)
Trying to get rid of the 900, in favour of a NMV Marshall :D

Skezza, Is it really worth getting it modded? I got shown around the Marshall factory on Wednesday, and I had a long discussion about the difference between the RR, 1959, and 2203 heads. Preamps being different, the 1959 using the V1 in two halves, high treble having the Triode I am guessing, therefore jumpering makes the V1 in parallel, 2203 cascades it, so its just in series, and the RR mod just does that to one of the inputs. I guess there are plate voltage differences to minor extent though. Sorry for any memory mistakes, for those tech minded.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Sat May 31, 2008 2:11 pm

sporting a Randall RH100 and a Marshall cab with celestion speakers :)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Postby skezza » Sat May 31, 2008 4:44 pm

_will_ wrote:Skezza, Is it really worth getting it modded? I got shown around the Marshall factory on Wednesday, and I had a long discussion about the difference between the RR, 1959, and 2203 heads. Preamps being different, the 1959 using the V1 in two halves, high treble having the Triode I am guessing, therefore jumpering makes the V1 in parallel, 2203 cascades it, so its just in series, and the RR mod just does that to one of the inputs. I guess there are plate voltage differences to minor extent though. Sorry for any memory mistakes, for those tech minded.
That is correct, the RR mod is simply the inputs cascaded. Ive actually seen the schematics for it (good friend is a professional amp repair guy) and it is literally a 10 minute job, and most of that time will be spent taking the actual casing off. I can see where your coming from though, its just a thought ;)
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby rice_pudding » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:46 am

i havent currently got any big gigging amps,

i have a vox 15watt modeling amp, the perfect practice amp IMO and an epiphone valve junior half stack. I also still have my original axl amp, the worst amp ive ever played by a considerable distance. I wont sell it because i see no point in passing on the curse of bad tone :)

I used to have a cheap 50 watt marshall but i didnt like it, sold it to get the epi.

i intend on buying a vox ac15 custom classic (with the alnico blue speakers) by the end of the year.

Rob

All Access Member

Postby dave1021 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:37 pm

Carvin MTS 3212 combo.
100 or 50 Watts loaded with el34's ( 5581's stock ). Very Marshall esque sound at a fraction of the cost :D I plan on picking up a MTS 3200 stack before carvin quits making them, for the large gigs.

Dave
...And somebody said Fair Warning, Lord strike that poor boy down. Turned from hunted into hunter, went to hunt somebody down.--Van Halen

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:52 am

Mesa Boogie formula pre and Mesa Boogie 20.20 power amp into a Marshall stereo cab for a band situation.

Still using the Sans Amp eh Jeff? You have been sticking with that for a while now right?

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby THOR » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:42 am

Peavey 5150. Saw Jake playing them with WA, and it rocked. Been using them for about 12 years and never had a problem. All my buddy's Marshalls and Fender are always in the shop! Love the tone, basically a modded marshall. A few foot pedals out front and ready to rock. Use it in a 80's rock band and a blues/rock band.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:59 pm

My buddy plays through a 5150 2X12 combo... that thing has nice tone.

Next

Return to Free for all...