crisguitar needs you!(insert pointy finger lol)

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

crisguitar needs you!(insert pointy finger lol)

Postby crisguitar » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:37 am

hey...few weeks a go i posted that i needed help with my new pickup selection..with the help of ROCK!!!!! iv managed to bring my selection down!
i have a jackson dk which i run through a wah pedal,an overdrive which goes into a fender hotrod!
i need ur opinion if im looking for a 80's retro sound will a seymour duncan jb humbuker (bridge) and a dimarzio h3( neck) work?..will it give me the sound i desire?

Killer of Giants

Re: crisguitar needs you!(insert pointy finger lol)

Postby frethead » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:23 am

I have to say you've gotten a good start if you're going through a wah-wah to the amp. Randy Rhoads' footboard was set-up with the wah-wah ( always on and set at about halfway) as well as Micheal Schenker's. {Two of my personal, long time heroes who contributed much to the over-all "sound of the 80s"} I've used the wah-wah the same way ( as a filter)for a long time. Just about any humbucker is going to fill out your sound, and a loud pickup like the the Jeff Beck should get you there. You might want to think about picking up a compression pedal. I think you'll be surprised with how much fun that can be. Does your hot rod have a reverb unit? If not, I think you're really going to need a delay to round your model 80s sound out. O K, I'm out of here. Just some food for thought. Mmm, food.

Killer of Giants

Postby crisguitar » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:29 pm

frethead wrote:I have to say you've gotten a good start if you're going through a wah-wah to the amp. Randy Rhoads' footboard was set-up with the wah-wah ( always on and set at about halfway) as well as Micheal Schenker's. {Two of my personal, long time heroes who contributed much to the over-all "sound of the 80s"} I've used the wah-wah the same way ( as a filter)for a long time. Just about any humbucker is going to fill out your sound, and a loud pickup like the the Jeff Beck should get you there. You might want to think about picking up a compression pedal. I think you'll be surprised with how much fun that can be. Does your hot rod have a reverb unit? If not, I think you're really going to need a delay to round your model 80s sound out. O K, I'm out of here. Just some food for thought. Mmm, food.

cheers dude..thanks for the help! yeh my hotrod does have a reverb installed...i usually have it on about 6 4 that george lynch type of sound!.
an a compressor..marshall do a good 1 of those..ill look into it!

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:43 pm

"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby crisguitar » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:54 am

MetalHead wrote:Humbucker
Singlecoil

wohh!!!!!!!!...hmmm interesting thanks mate

All Access Member

Postby Charvelised » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:23 am

Bareknuckles...steve stevens is Bring out a Humbucker through these....Mine Ordered!

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:14 am

Steve Stevens fkn rocks man..I seen him on a billy idol tour prolly late 80's I guess, and was using a gibson Les Paul VooDoo, fuk man I always wanted one......

Anyway, Cris, give me a band as an example of what u mean by a retro 80's sound, but one thing I can say is mate, is good to have the right gear, but if u cant get the sound in the first place with your playing, u never will. What I mean is, a good mate of mine, Rob Riley, guitarist from Rose Tattoo (maybe u guys might have heard of them) can fkn get sounds out of a guitar straight in to a marshall, an imitate anything, he is fkn incredible with his playing. By the way, happy 50th b/day Rob, lol was last weekend, and it was a big weekend just gone. :)

Killer of Giants

Postby crisguitar » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:38 am

hey dude long time no speak!
this seems like it has been going on for ever..i just havnt made my mind up i like the dimarzio's..went to a shop and played some guitars with them in!!!
iv never heard the bare knukle ones b4...so no idea what ther like!!!!
the sound im looking for is that warm van halen but with the power of say nuno, or vai, or reb beach!..its hard 2 pinpoint but i hope u know what i mean!
i have the amp sound i want plus the efx i want but thers just something not rite with the pickups!

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:05 pm

crisguitar wrote:the sound im looking for is that warm van halen but with the power of say nuno, or vai, or reb beach!..its hard 2 pinpoint but i hope u know what i mean!

to aid you in your quest ...

Nuno uses Bill Lawrence
Vai uses DiMarzios
Reb uses EMGs

the DiMarzio site however
has a neat pickup-finding feature you might want to try out?
I think Seymour Duncan has something similar, but not as good as DiMarzio :!:
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Return to Free for all...