Cords ???

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Cords ???

Postby dave1021 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:36 pm

Ok guitar players, here's a question.
I know the better your cord the better your tone. But who the frack makes a good cord. And what exactly make one cord better than another. I'm really streamlining my rig, 3-4 pedals at most and I want the best possible connection between my guitar, my pedals, and my amp. Any input appreciated.
Dave
...And somebody said Fair Warning, Lord strike that poor boy down. Turned from hunted into hunter, went to hunt somebody down.--Van Halen

Re: Cords ???

Postby jefnel1 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:25 pm

George L's are the best I've used. They have a solid core that carries the signal perfectly. My entire rig is set up with custom sized George L's.
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:52 am

I use Monsters and never had a problem.

Postby skezza » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:18 am

Ive always used Venom Professional Noiseless
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:18 pm

Come to think of it, I've always used noisy pieces of shit! They seem to be decently quiet for a couple of weeks, and then crapola. I appreciate this post, and the question posted, Dave. I'm going to be looking into some new cords.
Everyone will love you, just as long as you are a shooting star.

Killer of Giants

Postby johnthebrucelee » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:35 am

I use Planet Waves with the gold ends and they have this design that makes them stick 'em in there pretty well. I recently got a wireless guitar system off of eBay (Seinheisser) and I love it, but it does change your tone. For me, 'once you go wireless, you never go back'.
"Hahaha, you don't see rockstars with straight A's in high school and such," says johnthebrucelee. "Actually, that only goes to show that playin' guitar ain't rocket science," Deansolo remarked. ;)

All Access Member

Postby _will_ » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:33 am

johnthebrucelee wrote: 'once you go wireless, you never go back'.

Yeah, it is so much better, but the battery thing gets annoying.

I want to try some real high end cables to see the difference though

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:51 am

[quote="johnthebrucelee"]I use Planet Waves with the gold ends and they have this design that makes them stick 'em in there pretty well. I recently got a wireless guitar system off of eBay (Seinheisser) and I love it, but it does change your tone. For me, 'once you go wireless, you never go back'.[/quote

That's useful, and I'm left to suppose you are happy with the way your tone is effected. Stick with me, here. How does your Seinheisser change your tone? Would you figure other wireless units to make different tonal changes? Cool. 8)

All Access Member

Postby _will_ » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:54 am

I am happy with the way it changed it, I found it hard to get a balance perfectly with the level knob and other one.
The other I have is a more upmarket Sennheiser, which is very close to true signal

Killer of Giants

Postby johnthebrucelee » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:46 pm

frethead wrote:
johnthebrucelee wrote:I use Planet Waves with the gold ends and they have this design that makes them stick 'em in there pretty well. I recently got a wireless guitar system off of eBay (Seinheisser) and I love it, but it does change your tone. For me, 'once you go wireless, you never go back'.[/quote

That's useful, and I'm left to suppose you are happy with the way your tone is effected. Stick with me, here. How does your Seinheisser change your tone? Would you figure other wireless units to make different tonal changes? Cool. 8)

The Sennheisser is my very first wireless guitar system, so I don't know about the other wireless systems out there. I would have to say that it sucked out some bottom end. When I would play palm muting riffs, the oomph and growl is not dominate compared to cables. With some very fine tuning of the squelch knob (controls feedback) and gain knobs on the reciever and the body pack, you can get close to the true signal if the guitar were actually connected to the amp with a guitar cable. Overall, I'm happy after a few adjustments with the wireless system. Hope that helps! :P
"Hahaha, you don't see rockstars with straight A's in high school and such," says johnthebrucelee. "Actually, that only goes to show that playin' guitar ain't rocket science," Deansolo remarked. ;)

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:35 pm

+1 for the Planet Waves :)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:02 am

Cool. Thanks, Will, John the Bruce, and MetalHead. I'm probably going to stick with the replacement of cords routine, but I know where to look when I start looking into it.
Last edited by frethead on Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:48 am

Hey guys! My 2 cents if I may.. Lavacable makes a great cord. Custom made with your choice of premium cable and connectors. expect to pay tho'. Pricey but worth the investment IMO. :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:07 pm

Hey Deansolo! Hope you' ve been all right, man! Got a little worried about you, back when Cally was burning up! My look into these cables is becoming awfully serious, now. LOL Thanks for your two cents' worth, Dean. I'm liking what I've read about the Monster Cable Monster Performer and Planet Waves Custom cables, so far. This is really blowing my mind, too! It seems that the Planet Waves people are more involved in producing cords with Herculean durability parameters, as the Monster cables offer specific sonic/ tonal involvement over the signal as it reaches for the amp. Perhaps, they should think about trading product patents??? I didn't start this thread, but, I'm sure goin' to get my money's worth from it!!! I'm looking into the Lavacables, now, Dean and Jeff. Thanks, bud. :)

Return to Free for all...