New Band Chemistry

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

New Band Chemistry

Postby Fakeblue » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:45 am

Hello guys & gals,

Ok, I'm not going to complain here, I am happy since more than 20 years with the same old bands, Judas Priest, Ozzy, Accept, Wasp.......I'm not even asking myself if it is sad to listen to always the same guys because their music is so good to me I still find myself dropping a tears at their music sometimes.

So I'm not curious for a change, I'm just curious about why do we always have the same chemistry ?

I mean one singer, one or two guitar players, one bass player, one drummer, sometimes a keyboard that is used by the rythm guitar player on occasions,
but I never seen a three guitars rock band.

Why not that ? Do you think the third guitar would have nothing to give ? Would it be a waste of time ?

Killer of Giants

Re: New Band Chemistry

Postby frethead » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:32 am

The good ol' 1,2,2! The nuclear package . . . the standard model for "taking it to the people!" LOL Ofcourse, there are exceptions to the rule. Iron Maiden has had three guitarists for a while, now, and although I'm not so big on it, I've heard ( or read) them go on about how a third guitar "adds depth to the music." Obviously. The Allman Brothers Band has had two drummers, two guitars and a keyboardist for over thirty years with, even, an additional percussionist for a stint in the seventies. In addition, Gregg ( while singing) trades off between a piano and a guitar. There were originally three background singers ( pre Allman Brothers Band, actually - in the sixties).

I think that, when taken at it's most coarse or base value, the number of musicians and/ or instruments present in a band is directly correlative of the personal talent, inspiration, and motivation of the band's members according to a spontaneous self -image, or collective "vision" in the conglomeration of wills, musically speaking. Sorry, I've been deeply connected with "the Allmans" for forty years. Whooh! What a rush! I am so through with balub- balubling!!! Happy Thanksgiving! Back to you, Blue.
Everyone will love you, just as long as you are a shooting star.

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:05 am

Thanks for that answer, man.
Looks like I need to get out more

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:05 pm

No problem, Blue. Thanks for not giving me any hell over my drivel. I was just having some fun and kicking back as an excellent aroma wafted around inside the house. Happy Thanksgiving!

Postby skezza » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:52 am

Its traditional to have the 1 2 2. Two Guitarists, Drum, Bass, Singer. To a degree, it also logically fits. Or at least a little more than having two bass guitarists and one lead guitarist for example. Like frethead said though, there are bands that break the mould. The 4 member, singer rhythm, lead, bass, drum is obviously one which has now been done quite a bit... (Metallica, Megadeth etc)

Didn't lacuna coil have two singers? Although ive never listened to them in all honesty! :)
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:45 am

Happy thanksgiving for you too guys !

All Access Member

Postby _will_ » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:23 pm

Eagles?
I am not sure, memory is hazy at the moment, but I seem to recall them having a few

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:33 pm

O yeah, the Eagles! Joe " Funk # 49" Walsh ( guitar). Glen "You Belong To The City" Frey ( guitar), Tim "How does my hair look?" Somebody ( bass) and "Dirty Laundry" Don Whimbley, or another? ( drums) Wasn't there someone else?! It really does seem like there was someone else involved! LOL
Last edited by frethead on Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All Access Member

Postby _will_ » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:11 am

Fleetwood Mac
Last edited by _will_ on Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:12 pm

Yes, another waay talented band with multiple singers! Let's see . . . John and Christie McVie, Mick Fleetwood, Lindsey Buckingham, and the flighty blonde! :lol:

Postby skezza » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:25 am

frethead wrote:O yeah, the Eagles! Joe " Funk # 49" Walsh ( guitar). Glen "You Belong To The City" Frey ( guitar), Tim "How does my hair look?" Somebody ( bass) and "Dirty Laundry" Don Whimbley, or another? ( drums) Wasn't there someone else?! It really does seem like there was someone else involved! LOL
Don Felder ;)

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:50 pm

skezza wrote:
frethead wrote:O yeah, the Eagles! Joe " Funk # 49" Walsh ( guitar). Glen "You Belong To The City" Frey ( guitar), Tim "How does my hair look?" Somebody ( bass) and "Dirty Laundry" Don Whimbley, or another? ( drums) Wasn't there someone else?! It really does seem like there was someone else involved! LOL
Don Felder ;)

Now, this is funny! Don Felder!!! :o :lol: :roll: :lol:

Postby skezza » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:12 pm

frethead wrote:
skezza wrote:
Don Felder ;)

It is? you've lost me :P :lol:
Last edited by skezza on Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:12 pm

Some more bands with peculiar chemistries. Prince ( lol); Pink floyd ( guitar, bass, drums, piano/ keyboard) ; Adam Ant ( two drummers, horn section, ?); A Flock of Seagulls ( guitar, bass, singer/ synth); Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young ( three guitars); Jethro Tull ( singer/ flute); Led Zeppelin ( guitar, bass, drums, keyboard); Stray Cats ( guitar, stand-up bass, drums); Emerson, Lakes, Palmer( guitar, bass, drums, synth); Moody Blues ( this, that, and the other); and another stage filler, Chicago (Transit Authority) :lol:
Last edited by frethead on Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:37 pm

skezza wrote:
frethead wrote:
skezza wrote:
Don Felder ;)

It is? you've lost me :P :lol:

I guess it wouldn't be very funny for anyone else, really. I'd thoroughly forgotten about Don Felder. I had been trying to think of Don . . . Henley!

Return to Free for all...