Jeff Beck

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Jeff Beck

Postby Vernon » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:40 pm

Hey all,
Just a heads up for all Jeff Beck fans here.

As far as I know he'll be releasing his first DVD Feb 17th. 2009.
It's going to be called PERFORMING THIS WEEK...LIVE AT RONNIE SCOTTS.
Jeff has a current CD of what I assume is the same performance but I'm waiting for the DVD.

Jeff's bass player for this DVD is a girl named Tal Wilkenfeld.
Tal is simply amazing!

Check out Tal and Jeff in this clip from 2007.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIFFRHBC ... re=related

IMO Tal is hot as hell. :D :oops: :D
Just thought I'd introduce you all to my future wife.....and give you a bit of Jeff Beck info at the same time. :lol:
later.....

Killer of Giants

Re: Jeff Beck

Postby frethead » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:48 am

Freak out! What more can be said? Jeff Beck is . . . man, he's the eminent rockstar. His posture, manipulation of tone and texture, and creamy volume swells are perfect, as ever.

As for Tal . . . woof! The bass is as big as she is!!! Like,"O yeah, Jeff Beck. Have you seen him? He's here, too." "Step back, I've got to tear a little down!" I wonder if she's related to Steve Harris. lol

Thanks for the introduction, and that little thing about JB, Vernon! I am certainly looking forward to buying that show.
Last edited by frethead on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone will love you, just as long as you are a shooting star.

All Access Member

Postby Charvelised » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:30 am

Just thought I'd tell you Tal Likes the Ladies!
I saw Jeff at ronnies I found it rather Boring after 20mins

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:53 am

Aww. Well, I guess it has been almost forty years since JB introduced fusion. Dude is like how old, now? To be completely fair, he has had a way during his experimentations, of immoderately using that tinny slice of a strat's response, which I consider the absolute worst part of any association an elegant piece of wood could ever have with hearing, as his platform, "base" sound or tone. Ughh! That sound slices through me, man! Only when he toys with tonal response or "draining his guitar for what she's worth," as he's apt to do, changing pickup positions, going high on a thick string or low on the skinny ones does that horrible teeny-weeny sound become useful or acceptable. I have to say that I've always appreciated his courageous use of expanded pentatonic scales, considering.

You don't say! The bass player has a little lead in her pants, huh? lol Sorry. I guess one could say that she's rather qualified to hold down the bottom end, then. Huh?! She has certainly found a groove! I like listening to a bass player get down, as much, if not more than listening to a guitar player get down, you know?! She has the get down that gets down!

All Access Member

Postby Charvelised » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:57 am

I found her Rather Brilliant! ....Very instinctive ..The chap who I went with, also bass player..(in the Doug whimbish and Stu Hamm style) Was also in Love with Her!...He couldn't believe how Great she was...I'm not sure if it was because she was a woman or because she so young!

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:47 pm

That's excellent, Charvel! Stu Hamm is great! I was thinking Stu the whole way! I'm, actually, not the one that's in love with her. That was Vernon. I certainly do, however, consider her playing very highly. I've always been attracted to that "box walking" sort of bass playing one might associate with . . . wait for it . . . this is my guy, so be easy . . . John Entwistle.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Vernon » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:33 pm

frethead wrote:Freak out! What more can be said? Jeff Beck is . . . man, he's the eminent rockstar. His posture, manipulation of tone and texture, and creamy volume swells are perfect, as ever.

As for Tal . . . woof! The bass is as big as she is!!! Like,"O yeah, Jeff Beck. Have you seen him? He's here, too." "Step back, I've got to tear a little down!" I wonder if she's related to Steve Harris. lol

Thanks for the introduction, and that little thing about JB, Vernon! I am certainly looking forward to buying that show.

Hey frethead,
I couldn't agree more :D
We've got more in common than we know.

I've got a bootleg DVD of Jeff and Tal's entire set from the 2007 Crossroads Fest and it's great.
That clip of CwEAL I linked you to was my favorite from that show.
I've always loved that song....when Jeff does it.
I guess Stevie Wonder wrote it back in the day but I've never heard Stevie Wonder's version.
I'm not much of a Stevie Wonder fan but I do like his funkier stuff from the early 70's
later....

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Vernon » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:51 pm

Charvelised wrote:Just thought I'd tell you Tal Likes the Ladies!
I saw Jeff at ronnies I found it rather Boring after 20mins

Hey Charvelised,
Tal likes the ladies 8O
Bummer!
No matter.....she's young....I can still dream :lol:

As far as it being boring.....I'll take your word for it if you were there but I've never before heard the words boring and Jeff Beck in the same sentence.
I've been a fan of Jeff all of my life and I saw him in person for the first time in 2006.He blew me away...to sat the least.
My only "problem" with Jeff now is the fact that he hasn't changed his set list much in the past few years.
I'm sure I'll be happy with his DVD.....as long as there are plenty of close up shots of his hands on the guitar.

As long as we're talking about bass players now...
Check out this Youtube clip of Tony Franklin doing Led Zeppelin's The Rain Song.Tony is great and a very under rated player IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EcDwbyYqwo

later....

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:01 pm

O, you've got to love a fretless bass. That's such a cool number, too! Saw the mention of another great bassplayer in Jaco Pastorius, there, guys!
Last edited by frethead on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

All Access Member

Postby Charvelised » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:58 pm

Tony Franklin Lived very close to me I reminded him of it via his myspace page he rememered too!..Obviously a decent chap aswel!
Neil Murray Has done some Great Stuff...
I'm Not sure if you've heard of Mick Karn, but his Fretless stuff is amazing

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:06 pm

That's waay cool, Charle Vise! I'm getting a foggy manor with Neil Murray's name, but my little lawyers of association are telling me that I think he's great, or thought he was great. Whatever. Dim to none is the lighting situation with the Mick Karn mention. Slightly similar to the Friday Night Lights script, I s'pose. Hey! We've examined Jeff Beck, his bassplayer, a soon to be released show of them playing at Ronnie's, and journeyed into commentary on other notable bassplayers. Blast that capricious paranoia, those singing voices and the man in the suit who's just bought a new car from the profit he's made on your dreams, Bad Hat Harry! How's this for the smoothest segue back to the future, and impossibly progressive guitar players? :wink:

http://www.therealallanholdsworth.com/picture20.1.htm

Where's the bridge?! 8) Alas, the bridge to Jake E. Lee!

http://www.therealallanholdsworth.com/picture42.htm

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:38 pm

Wow, that was really smooth and so Soulfully beautiful: Master guitarist/musician Jeff Beck is a strong emotional music artists and musicians are influence by his genius of music styles & his Classic works. I can see why trailblazer Rebel Jake E. Lee list him as one of the musicians he highly admires & is also influenced with: he/Jake E. Lee & a host of other awesome musicians pays much homage Tributes respects to JEFF BECKS music works and they done an amazing job with that. The solo dual between the young lady musician Bassist Tal W. was outstanding & being on the stage with legendary guitarist Jeff Beck - I bet her whole being is in awe with that/and nice to see Jeff Beck encourageing her to play! 8O Wow, great live JEFF BECK performance. 8) :D

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:28 pm

Hey, I thought somebody would've posted something about Jaco, but - O well. I will. It was as if the guy was , like, from another freaking planet, man! Luckely for us, he brought his bass! Here's a little spotlight ding-dum on Third Stone from the Sun. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtHbxsdE ... re=related

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Vernon » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:02 am

frethead wrote:Hey, I thought somebody would've posted something about Jaco, but - O well. I will. It was as if the guy was , like, from another freaking planet, man! Luckely for us, he brought his bass! Here's a little spotlight ding-dum on Third Stone from the Sun. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtHbxsdE ... re=related

Hey frethead,
Yeah....great Jaco stuff!
Tony Franklin himself turned me on to Jaco.
Jaco being one of Tony's idols.

More on Tony in my next post

The end of Jaco's life was quite tragic.
Another heroin causality really.
(I hate that drug an always have hated it).

On a lighter note....
A couple years ago....I was watching Inside The Actors Studio....Benicio Del Toro was the guest....(one of my many favorite actors).
Anyway...Benicio said he would often listen to Jaco to relax....while he was in his trailer....waiting to go on movie sets.

The fretless bass does have a real dreamy quality to it.
I'm not a bass player but one of these days I'm gonna buy myself one to screw around with.
later....

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Vernon » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:18 am

Charvelised wrote:Tony Franklin Lived very close to me I reminded him of it via his myspace page he rememered too!..Obviously a decent chap aswel!
Neil Murray Has done some Great Stuff...
I'm Not sure if you've heard of Mick Karn, but his Fretless stuff is amazing

Hey Charvelised,
Yeah Tony is a great guy.
We used to e-mail each other back in the 90's.
I met him in person a few years ago too.
As I said in my last post....Tony turned me on to Jaco.

The great thing about Tony is that he's a Jimmy Page fanatic like myself :D
So most of our conversations were dominated by Jimmy Page.
We could both go on and on about Jimmy so we got along great :lol:

The funny thing was.....when I met Tony in person a few years ago....
He was asking >me< current information about Jimmy.
Such as where Jimmy was living now and personal stuff.
Tony had remembered me from our e-mails and it was almost as if.....I knew Jimmy personally....not Tony.
Tony and I were laughing about that.
Tony couldn't be a nicer....more down to earth guy.

One last Tony story.
Years ago....Tony even sent me one of his solo CD's autographed.....for free.
He wanted no money....all he wanted was my honest opinion of it.
Tony is the best.
later.....

Next

Return to Free for all...