2 respray or not 2 respray?..that is the question?

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

2 respray or not 2 respray?..that is the question?

Postby crisguitar » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:08 pm

come on guys how many of u hav self sprayed a guitar an now its ur prize love!...if so i need ur tips lol :lol:

Killer of Giants

Re: 2 respray or not 2 respray?..that is the question?

Postby johnthebrucelee » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:36 pm

BIG TIP: Don't spray the pickups. :lol:

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:41 pm

I'm not a musician/Guitarist, so I don't own a real Guitar yet I do have a old fashion pennant guitar made out of tiny stones. smile! Yes, I still have it but I no longer wear it had it since the 70's High School. Anyway, that's some good sound advice "Johnthebrucelee" (cool name & avatar!) don't air spray paint your fretboard/I guess that's the neck to the Guitar. Peace!

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:11 pm

don't spray paint the tuners or the bridge also....or the strap...or the cord. You never,ever want to spray paint the strap or the cord! The paint will rub off the strap and get all over your stage shirt....and the paint will make the cord real stiff and not very flexable and very easy to trip on.
:D

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:19 pm

johnthebrucelee wrote:BIG TIP: Don't spray the pickups. :lol:

Hahaha, u mean ppl actually paint their guitar without taking "ALL" the hardware off. :?

Killer of Giants

Postby crisguitar » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:55 am

wow arnt we all serious!..i was kinda trying to be serious!..please give real hints lol

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:35 am

crisguitar wrote:wow arnt we all serious!..i was kinda trying to be serious!..please give real hints lol
lol man. i used to use fkn car touch up spray paint....1 can used to do the trick, then again I learnt this off Eddie V H, as this is what he used. :) Its all in the technique, just dont spray too close for too long. Thin coats, let dry, then another. and finish with a clear for depth. :)

Killer of Giants

Postby crisguitar » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:30 am

Rock wrote:
crisguitar wrote:wow arnt we all serious!..i was kinda trying to be serious!..please give real hints lol
lol man. i used to use fkn car touch up spray paint....1 can used to do the trick, then again I learnt this off Eddie V H, as this is what he used. :) Its all in the technique, just dont spray too close for too long. Thin coats, let dry, then another. and finish with a clear for depth. :)

cheers mate very greatful!

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:38 am

Hey man, dont forget to sand between coats, with like a 1200 paper. You will get a kickass result. :)

Secret Loser

Postby Hell_Tanner » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:30 am

Rock wrote:

Hahaha, u mean ppl actually paint their guitar without taking "ALL" the hardware off. :?

Hey, don't laugh I've seen people ask on forums if they should remove the strings to change their pickups! :lol: ...thinking about it for a second, I've seen pics of repainted guitars with painted hardware and pickups too. :?

If you sand a body down try to leave the sealer on the wood, just don't sand down to bare wood. The sealer really helps when you apply your layers of paint.

If you start with an unfinished body, you don't really have to apply a sealer, like Rock said just look at EVH. This applies if you work with an alder body or a basswood body, wood with very few veins, they'll just need some fine sanding.

But if you want to paint something like swamp ash you'll have to use a sealer because veins on that type of wood are really deep and will show under the paint unless that's the kind of effect you're looking at. So applying sealer will smooth everything out.

On top of that a good layer of white primer will help too for that smooth/baby bottom look. You can also just use primer like I'm doing with my current project, it gives a nice look, very soft but somewhat more fragile that regular and clear coat of course.

Car spray paint is cool, that's what I've used with nice results. It's generally very durable and cheap as you'll need about 2/3 cans. Just don't leave the can in a cold room or leave it in a warm place before painting, this will eliminate bubbles and moisture when you'll spray. Think about shaking the can regularly and especially between each spray/layers.
Stay at about 3 feet away when you spray, just don't get too close and spray very thin layers after thin layers.

You'll just have to experiment and start things over several times, that's how you'll acquire some experience and sorry for the rant!
Formerly known as \"Berseker\"

Tommy Bolin Forum

Killer of Giants

Postby crisguitar » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:24 am

Hell_Tanner wrote:
Rock wrote:

Hey, don't laugh I've seen people ask on forums if they should remove the strings to change their pickups! :lol: ...thinking about it for a second, I've seen pics of repainted guitars with painted hardware and pickups too. :?

If you sand a body down try to leave the sealer on the wood, just don't sand down to bare wood. The sealer really helps when you apply your layers of paint.

If you start with an unfinished body, you don't really have to apply a sealer, like Rock said just look at EVH. This applies if you work with an alder body or a basswood body, wood with very few veins, they'll just need some fine sanding.

But if you want to paint something like swamp ash you'll have to use a sealer because veins on that type of wood are really deep and will show under the paint unless that's the kind of effect you're looking at. So applying sealer will smooth everything out.

On top of that a good layer of white primer will help too for that smooth/baby bottom look. You can also just use primer like I'm doing with my current project, it gives a nice look, very soft but somewhat more fragile that regular and clear coat of course.

Car spray paint is cool, that's what I've used with nice results. It's generally very durable and cheap as you'll need about 2/3 cans. Just don't leave the can in a cold room or leave it in a warm place before painting, this will eliminate bubbles and moisture when you'll spray. Think about shaking the can regularly and especially between each spray/layers.
Stay at about 3 feet away when you spray, just don't get too close and spray very thin layers after thin layers.

You'll just have to experiment and start things over several times, that's how you'll acquire some experience and sorry for the rant!

what i have to work with is a blue jackson which is laquered!...i think ill sand down to the blue to get off the laquer..then add primer an im going with classic white with blue pin strips like randy rhoads jackson!..although i have a dk2 lol

Return to Free for all...